- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 39.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Entry level (from 1 to 40 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Eleaf, a low-cost branch of Joyetech, has long established itself in this segment as a serious, hyper-competitive and sustainable player. The reproach that could be made to the previous creations of the brand on the reliability and a construction after all perfectible seem to be of the past. Gifted with joy in the organ bank of the parent company, Eleaf has decided to move up a gear and offers us a new box: the Aster.
The Aster is therefore in an unusual form, beautiful and more daring than the previous creations. In a register very "Starkien", it throws for those who love modern objects.
It sends 75W in variable power but also in temperature control or it will support nixnumx resistive, titanium, SS200 and a TCR mode that will allow you to implement the heating coefficients of the resistive that you use if is not one of those four. It also has a bypass mode that emulates the operation of a mechanical mode and a "Smart" mode that chooses for you the best mode depending on the type of resistance that your atomizer is provided. Well, already, it starts well.
I add to that a siding protections drool the safety of Fort Knox and a simplified operation that allows everyone to appropriate it in one hour watch in hand.
And all for less than 40 € .... If there is one thing that Eleaf has not changed, it is his pricing policy and we can be happy first. Let's see if the beauty also has a brain.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 23
- Product Length or Height in mms: 91
- Product weight in grams: 152.2
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: New
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Backed by a Vogue model, the Aster presents an innovative aesthetic in a segment where it was thought that everything had already been attempted. This approach is largely corroborated by an efficient aluminum construction and a perfect finish. A type of finish that some high-end mods could almost inspire.
The control buttons are plastic, but do not detract from the overall aesthetics. Shaking a little mod 2cm of the ear, we hear a rather muffled clatter that shows that the buttons are a little comfortable in their housing but nothing comparable with the metal sounds of cabasa typical of some mods. entry level.
Here in brushed aluminum finish (splendid), the box is also available in colors: black, white, gray and pink to date.
The switch reacts to a quarter turn. The battery access cover is firmly secured by two neodymium magnets and offers a dedicated location for its extraction on the bottom.
Inside, it's functional and well organized. The cradle is well thought out with a stud on spring for the negative which facilitates the insertion of the battery and avoids a deterioration of a metal paw in time. Attention, during the first changes, the spring of the stud is a little tight and put the battery is a little sporty. But I reassure you, after a few manipulations, he took his cruising speed and becomes efficient.
No venting or ventilation vent. But tested at 75W for an hour with a wild mount and a good battery, I found no heating. Neither the battery nor the mod.
The particular shape, juggling between box and tube, may not be suitable for all hands. The mod is compact, certainly, but high enough and the position of the switch will be disconcerted at the beginning. Having bear paws in place of normal hands, I found my marks in a few hours but it is possible that smaller hands have problems. You can switch with either the thumb or the index, the habit comes quickly.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, atomizer resistors temperature control, support firmware update, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Rather than tell you what the mod does, I would have done a lot faster to tell you what it does not do ... But let's get on with good grace all the same.
The Aster can work in several modes:
Variable power mode: In this mode, it will accept resistances between 0.1 and 3.5Ω, which leaves plenty to explore, including users of genesis strong resistance (there is still!). the incrementation and decrementation, traditionally devolved on the [+] and [-] buttons, takes place in steps of one-tenth with acceleration if you hold the button down. Nothing but very classic in short.
Temperature control mode: It accepts the resistances between 0.05 and 1.5Ω. Here, we have a classic "Joyetech" scheme. By three successive presses on the switch, we enter the mode menu and we can choose between SS, Titanium, Ni200 which are available in native. A TCR menu also exists and allows you to memorize three additional heating coefficients depending on the resistive alternative you want to use (NiFe for example). To do this, we turn off the box, we press at the same time on [-] and the switch and after a few seconds appears the M1 position on the screen which we can adjust the coefficient. And the same for M2 and M3. From the moment or its settings will be set by you, they will be directly available in the menu.
By-Pass mode: This mode interrupts the calculation possibilities of the chipset and is based solely on the residual voltage of the battery to power the atomizer. It is therefore a mechanical type operation. But, for all that, the protections do not disconnect.
Smart Mode: For newbies or slackers, Eleaf has implemented this mode which chooses for you which mode to use to feed your atomizer as much as possible, according to the requested power and the type of resistance. It can therefore, at any time, call the variable power mode or the temperature control mode. Apparently gadget, this mode is still useful for hesitant beginners yet and very effective. (Attention, to benefit from this mode, it is imperative to upgrade the firmware with the latest available version HERE)
By pressing [+] and [-] simultaneously, you lock or unlock the selected setting, whether it is in watts or degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.
When the box is off, pressing the [+] button at the same time and the switch long enough will show you the remaining voltage in the battery.
The protections are complete and well thought out. Thus, you are protected against possible overvoltage of the soft or the hardware, against an excessive discharge of the battery, against the reversal of polarity, against short-circuits and against an increase of the local taxes.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Except for a manual only in English, I will spare my fingers and your eyes simply saying that nothing is missing for immediate operation, except the battery of course.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Does the mod heat up? Does he ask for his needs too often? Does he cry in front of Disney movies? No.
In use, it's a real pleasure. Reliable and autonomous, it stands out as the new reference of the entry-level. An entry-level that eyeing down the top range if we judge by the quality of rendering that is imperial. Negligible latency, vape smooth and round typical of the operation of Joyetech chipsets, sufficient power and available, as superlatives for a mod to 40 €!
Compared with a EVIC VTC Mini (not crazy wasp!), We quickly realize that the renderings are identical and that, if the Aster will not give you the time, your watch or your laptop will do as well!
The chipset is magic, we already knew but its reliability in time is now recognized. The Aster does not make figuration and, at the crucial moment of choice, he stands out as a sexy outsider in a segment that starts to count a lot of references.
Its shape, rather long and narrow, is done quickly to your hand and the contact is made pleasant by a quality material and the practical rounding of the battery cover.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer in 22mm or less diameter
- Description of the test configuration used: Vapor Giant Mini V3, Narda, Theorem
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: It is to your taste. Avoid atos of more than 22mm in diameter for aesthetic reasons
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
"But what is left to the big ones"? The most venerable of us remember this advertising slogan that made a splash in the last century.
This is exactly the question that can be asked by having toured the Aster. Much more beautiful than Istick, better built, perfectly finished, equipped with all the features in vogue and having a very powerful rendering, it flies over the category with elegance and joy.
Just avoid dropping it because, as Baudelaire says so nicely:
"Exiled on the ground amidst boos,
His giant wings prevent him from walking."
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.