- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 46 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
In the small world of boxs of entry or mid-range, Eleaf knew to trace a perennial way which holds in a few words: small prices and good performances.
From the Istick to the Pico through the Aster of first, second or nth generation, the manufacturer has established itself as a formidable competitor, offering each time materials adapted to the market, reliable, efficient and always offered at non-discriminatory rates . Thus, the sales are connected with happiness, as well for the mark as for the consovapeur. A good deal that continues to work.
Today, the manufacturer offers us a different vision of a box. With the Aster RT, we have indeed a box mixing a LiPo battery of 4400mAh and an "inclusion" of your atomizer. Although this principle has existed for a long time, the "old" will remember the Innokin VTR, it is, to my knowledge, the first time that the manufacturer is likely to market this type of object. The aim is to maintain a real compactness of the entire set-up and to impose a new aesthetic signature.
Big battery equals big autonomy, the proposed 100W with an output intensity limited to 25A will allow to have fun and to match the Aster RT with any type of atomizer if they have a smaller diameter or strictly equal to 22mm and that their height is compatible with the proposed location (approximately 35mm offline). Dripper excluded so ...
All currently popular technologies have been implemented and Eleaf has been able to take advantage of the knowledge of Joyetech or Wismec to do this, the three companies having a common base.
Let's see all this more closely.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 40
- Product Length or Height in mm: 79.8
- Product weight in grams: 228
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The first shock is aesthetic. We can say that Eleaf's designers have been busy and their work deserves a frank and massive recognition. The Aster RT is indeed beautiful. The aesthetic work yet complex to obtain a box autonomous and integrating within it an atomizer was perfectly successful. From my point of view, this is the most beautiful box of the type that I have been given to hold in hand.
Alternating voluptuous curves and more tense lines, the RT imposes a massivity helping to the perception of a great quality and simultaneously, even if it seems paradoxical, a graceful silhouette that seduces invariably. The part that allows to embed your atomizer in the box was particularly neat, the result is without appeal, perfect.
The finish is up to the mark and completely new at this price level. Nothing exceeds or seems incongruous. The use of a zinc / aluminum alloy allows work by molding and a very rewarding finish. The colors offered are numerous (see photo below) and sometimes different finishes are all at the top. Even if, personally, I admit that the so-called "silver" version, imitating brushed steel, completely won me over.
The control panel is efficient and perfectly integrated. The various buttons, switch and controls, are operational, pleasant handling and nothing is different, both in terms of aesthetics and neat finish. The [+] and [-] buttons are one above the other and overhang a small hole used to reset the box in case of a problem using a toothpick or other sharp object and a micro-USB port for both charging the built-in LiPo battery and upgrading the chipset.
The size is limited, the weight too and the general shape calls for an all-encompassing grip, a little like a Reuleaux. And it is here, alas, that lies a major problem of design that, if it does not ruin the efforts of the brand, may be an important brake for some hands.
Indeed, that we wish to activate the switch by the index or the thumb, the position of the atomizer that you integrate will have a good chance of putting the airholes in front of your fingers and thus to penalize heavily the contribution of air to the atomizer. It will then be necessary to give up any idea of the all-encompassing position of the hand and to find an unnatural digital position in any case that will allow your ato to breathe. A flat of importance because it means that ergonomics has been sacrificed on the altar of aesthetics. In the end, the RT holds it badly and it will be necessary to fight against the old habits of prehension to find others. Too bad, very bad.
Another problem related to the design of the ring: the atomizers whose diameter is greater than 22mm will be proscribed. Even a Kayfun V5, which fits this dimension, will not pass because its airflow ring is of a larger diameter. There are also several things to keep in mind: your atomizer will need to be more than 35mm off-line if you want to use it without a problem. The atomizers taking their airflow through the top-cap can also be closed by the presence of the atomizer. hoop that will upset the air intake. Be careful to thoroughly document before proceeding with the purchase so as not to fall on a dead end.
The Aster RT has been designed to work perfectly with the Melo 3 of the same brand. A kit already exists for sale with these two elements. This is good but an additional design effort and less "corporate" would have been, in my opinion, beneficial for the sale of this box.
The bottom cap is equipped with six vents allowing cooling of the chipset as well as a possible degassing due to a problem.
A report that would have been very positive if it was not altered by what remains a heavy design fault.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, vape time display of each puff, temperature control of the atomizer resistors, support firmware update, support customization of its behavior by external software, clear diagnostic messages
- Compatibility accus: LiPo
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The chipset owner is complete and has many features and interesting:
Variable Power mode (VW):
Traditional, this mode allows to go from 1 to 100W, on a scale of resistance between 0.1 and 3.5Ω.
Temperature control mode (TC):
With resistances between 0.05 and 1.5Ω, you can navigate between 100 and 315 ° C using resistive Ni200, titanium or SS.
It makes it possible to refrain from any regulation and thus to rely solely on the residual voltage of the battery, in the manner of a mechanical mod while taking advantage of the protections integrated into the chipset.
It allows a simplified operation because it stores on ten memory allocations a resistance / power tandem that you have set. Thus, if you change ato to another one that you have already set before, the Smart mode will send the required and pre-programmed power directly.
Well known, it allows to implement other types of resistive that the three residents entering under three memory allocations son heating coefficients not implemented automatically. Kanthal, NiFe, Ni60, Nichrome .... everything then becomes possible in temperature control.
Working in conjunction with the VW mode, it can influence the start of the signal curve by changing the power and time parameters. So, if you want to boost a particularly slow editing, you can, for example add 10W additional during the first second of the signal. The maximum delay is two seconds.
The French manual provided is particularly explicit on the operation of the box, so I will refrain from developing here the necessary manipulations. However, it should be noted that the ergonomics have been particularly neat and that, if you are used to the Boxes Joyetech, Eleaf or Wismec, you will not be at all disoriented.
It remains to go around the built-in protections: cut-off 10s, protection against short circuits, against a low voltage and overheating of the chipset. Everything has been thought to vape in all serenity.
The Oled screen is clear and readable but its low contrast will make it difficult to read outside.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is very much in the tradition of the house, which is robust, solid, beautiful and complete.
The box and a USB / micro USB cable take place there, properly protected during the long journeys that they will reach to you.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? Slightly.
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Once well integrated the physical limits of the box to accommodate the atomizers and after doing a little gymnastics for grip without closing the air intakes, there is nothing wrong with the Aster RT.
In use, it behaves royally, finally very close to the rendering of a single or dual Pico. The mod heats very slightly but this is only due to the proximity of the atomizer to the body. Moreover, in 48h of use, never the chipset reached a stall temperature that would have been reported by the appropriate protection.
The rendering is therefore very straight, stable and reliable and develops a powerful and homogeneous vape, very Joyetech in the mind.
The autonomy is quite important, however less than a dual battery box 18650 but quite realistic in the context of use throughout the day. At significant power, it drops, naturally, but remains exploitable over a long period of time.
No problem to report on security or reliability. To check of course on a longer time but this is auspicious.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A Classical Fiber, In Sub-Ohm, Rebuildable Genesis
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? An ato of 22mm diameter in the strict sense. The ato must have a length greater than 35mm.
- Description of the test configuration used: Joyetech Ultimo
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Melo 3, Ultimo and all rebuildable ato of 22mm.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
It is death in the soul that I am resolved to conclude on a mixed note.
Indeed, if the Aster RT is beautiful to die and if its behavior and its performances are advantageous, it remains nevertheless this defect of design which renders it unusable with some atomizers, even when these make 22mm, either because of their height either because of the locations of the air intakes.
This is however often the case in mods of this type that can only work optimally with a small panel of atomizers.
More troublesome, the handling is thwarted by closing illicitly the air intakes and requires a specific position of the fingers.
And all this is a shame because because we look at this box, we have only one desire, that of being seduced at 100%. But if the most beautiful woman in the world can give only what she has, we must believe that it is the same for a box.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.