- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Tech Vapeur
- Price of the tested product: 67.9 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: 12
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
SMOK or SMOKTECH is a brand that does not date from yesterday but 2010, ie the Jurassic of the vape. If, in recent times, the brand has not really distinguished by model mods or atomizers at the forefront, we must not forget that during its long history, it has been able to give us a good lot of technical innovations, diverse and varied materials and is always present at the forefront of the market, sometimes making us the surprise of an object particularly in line with the demand of the vapers.
The M80 that we are shelling today is probably the box that nobody expected the brand and yet it will do a lot of harm to the competition as it seems difficult to make him the slightest criticism on paper. Be aware: 4400mah battery life on two 18650 LiPo batteries, temperature control on any type of wire, 40A in maximum output intensity, 80W, an upgradable firmware, a size of wasp and all for 67.90 €!
The question that arises then is to know if there is no eel under rock because the bride seems too beautiful ...
This review was kindly provided by Ma6x who posted their request via the form "What do you want to evaluate?" Accessible from the community menu. Thanks to you!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 55
- Product Length or Height in mms: 85
- Product weight in grams: 203
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The construction is an aluminum / zinc alloy (AZ or 70000 series) obtained by casting and casting, Zinc adding better mechanical strength to the alloy. The top cap and bottom cap, they seem to be chromed brass and ensure the box excellent stability in standing position. The finish is soft and pleasant in hand and the anodizing seems to be of high quality. I deliberately tried to scratch a little black film (yes, I know, it's not good ... 🙁) but nothing works, it fits! To the point that we say that SMOK could probably document this process with some competitors (follow my look ...) less well off in this area.
The switch is of excellent quality, as well as the + and - buttons. The touch is frank, light and pleasant, makes a discreet little click informative enough and there is no rattling when shaking the box. Finally, the different assemblies are perfect. A finishing dream that some much more expensive industrial boxes are unable to reach, alas.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Display of the current voltage of vape, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the time of vape since a certain date, Variable protection against overheating of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We come here to what will probably be, for some of you, the only fault that I could really find M80: the fact that it uses homeowners and therefore, its duration over time is subject to the longevity of the batteries that are inside. That being said, these Lithium Polymer batteries are commercially available with identical characteristics (for model aircraft for example) and I have no doubt that videos of smart DIYers will flourish on the web to teach us how to change them if necessary ... No way to throw a similar box without trying before doing everything to revive! By the way, I already bought a defibrilator!
The features are particularly interesting. The chipset operates in three modes that can be seen in the menu accessible by clicking on the switch three times: Wattage mode, Temp mode and Mech mode.
- For wattage mode (power in watt), no problem, we find ourselves in known terrain, the display shows, in addition to the battery meter and the resistance of the atomizer, the requested power and the voltage delivered in real time .
- In Temp mode, the display shows, in place of the voltage, the temperature in real time and the power variations required to obtain it. It should be noted that the menu makes it easy to set the temperature threshold not to be exceeded. I have personally set it on 530 ° Farenheit, which corresponds roughly to 276 ° Celsius, taking into account that vegetable Glycerin decomposes at 290 ° C and releases acrolein at this temperature. I particularly liked this mode because, in contrast to some chipsets that are equipped and that show a high latency time before having steam, this time is here much less and quite acceptable.
- On the Mech mode, the M80 turns into a mecha and displays the remaining voltage in the batteries and the calculation of the power to which you actually steam.
And, in addition, the mod gives the time and the date ... even if I have a watch for that much more practical ....
The M80 is rechargeable by micro-USB and its firmware is upgradable. SMOK seems to have thought of everything!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
I want to remind you here that the mod price is 67.90 €! Taking into account this price and given the new features in this price range M80, it would be delivered in a kangaroo slip that I would be thrilled! But SMOK goes further and offers an elegant packaging, black cardboard rigid and with a compact foam ensuring a safe transport of the product, surrounded by an over-box explaining some features of the box.
The packaging contains a manual in English (I do not note 🙄 ......) very clear and explicit, a USB / micro USB cable and a 510 / eGo adapter.
For accuracy, I want to add that the M80 can be reloaded in 2A, which limits the loading time to 3h for 4400maH.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Here we come to the heart of the subject because the features offered by a mod whatsoever should not obscure what is expected: a flawless rendering.
I tested the box with different atomizers and different resistors: 0.2, 0.7, 1, 1.4 and 2Ω. To all these resistances, and I say all, I have varied power and / or temperature within the limits of course the capabilities of atomizers (out of the question to banan 80W on a Taifun GT). I did not have a single problem, including 80W on 0.2Ω, neither technical nor "refusal to go" the box nor even any heating. At this level, it's almost incredible. The chipset's ability to be all-terrain is remarkable!
But because the vape is not only a set of technical data otherwise one would see the books of math, I must also mention the incredible smoothing of the signal and the high quality of vape rendered, rather in the softness and precision that in the brutal power, which has nothing to envy, in my humble opinion, chipsets much more known.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer, any clearomizer, within the limit of 22mm of diameter.
- Description of the test configuration used: M80 + Taifun Gt1, Change, Mutation X, Expromizer 1.2, Origen Genesis V2
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The ideal configuration will be yours because the M80 will not be a brake on your imagination.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Once is not custom, we will start with the defects, it will go faster:
- Having homeowners' batteries is an embarrassing fact, it's true.
- The box is cut for 22mm atos with which it is perfectly flush on all sides. This can annoy fans of Taifuns, Expro and other atomizers in 23mm. And still, it goes ... But avoid putting on your Subtank, the result will probably be funny but not necessarily aesthetic ....
- The guarantee of three months ...... The major defect in my case and that plummets the perfect note that could have reached with a guarantee of even six months.
I will not reproduce the long litany of the immense qualities of this box. I loved the price, very content or gift compared to the possibilities of the machine. I liked the finish that would remade many other industrial mods. I like the thinness in width (22.5mm) and the very small size for a box double battery that make it fits perfectly in hand. I also liked the internal construction with good big cables and a controlled use of space.
But above all, I loved the versatility and rendering, unknown so far in this price range.
I will not lie to you. You know that at Vapelier, we only use loaned material in order to maintain our objectivity. Well, three days after receiving it, I bought it. Because it seemed inconceivable to me as passionate to miss such a bomb! From there to advise you .... according to you?
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.