- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Wholesaler Francochine
- Price of the tested product: ~ 70 / 80 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 230W
- Maximum voltage: 7.5 V
- Minimum value in Ohm resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
After a consistent VFeng that had seduced by its Transformer aesthetic and a nice quality of realization, Snowwolf comes back to us with the XFeng, a new box 230W still housing and presenting an interesting design.
Although strongly supported by Sigelei, Snowwolf has never really managed to gain a foothold beyond the group of aficionados of the brand and is struggling to find the way for the general public. The fault, certainly, to an image deficit in an ecosystem where brands that have the wind in their sails keep it long enough. The fault also, undoubtedly, to a lack of technological innovations.
However, the manufacturer does not hesitate to leave boxes from time to time that have the merit of being apart in the mono-cultural movement of Chinese products where a good product is copied to infinity by the competition.
Also, it is with interest that we take the XFeng in hand, the last offshoot of a family that, against all odds, aims to expand and prosper. The price is unavailable at the time I write this review but should be between 70 and 80 €, a mid-range segment where competition is particularly fierce.
Available in three colors, the latest born throws enough to seduce at first glance. Will this seduction keep all its promises? This is what we will apply to define.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30
- Product Length or Height in mm: 89 x 49
- Product weight in grams: 260
- Materials composing the product: zinc alloy, PMMA
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box
- Decorative Style: BD Universe
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Medium, the button makes noise within its enclave
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, the XFeng is a fairly traditional rectangular parallelepiped that presents measurements quite in the norm for this type of object. The four edges are curved at their center for a style effect and the main facade and back are covered with two X-shaped plastic panels in relief, the first hosting an oled screen of 1.30 'and buttons. interface, the second the logo of the brand, a stylized wolf mouth, Fuu way.
On both narrow sides, there are five molded slots that accommodate stainless steel parts with a lot of holes, probably to cool the chipset in operation. These elements bring especially appreciable visual value, thus declining the robotic aspect of the box. On one of these sides, the USB port, almost invisible, takes a discreet place.
The body is painted with a decor called "jungle" that evokes the urban jungle with its tags and graffiti. Aesthetically, so it is successful, especially if you are sensitive to the street art type. The overall shape is pleasing to the eye, avoids clichés inherent to the genre and the painted fresco attracts sympathy.
However, as it will be with the XFeng, when the temperature rises, the cold is never far away.
Thus, the design is successful, certainly, but the grip is rather unpleasant. The vivacity of the edges, the large pieces of plastic, the general shape made of broken and interrupted straight makes the touch rather mediocre and the tactile pleasure does not add up sadly to the pleasure of the eyes. Nothing disqualifying and I guess some will find it perfect as well but some efforts could have been made to ensure an object made to be held in the hand to perform this function in a more sensual manner. Thus, the paint is granular to the touch where a softer contact, more fluffy would have reduced the shock.
For machining, it is the same. We note very precise adjustments on the bodywork and finishes are irreproachable at this place. On the other hand, the switch and the interface buttons rattle in their respective dwellings and the plastic materials that are dedicated to them seem to belong to the past. If their action is not uncomfortable strictly speaking, the notion of perceived quality concretely takes second place.
The top-cap has a correct plate, striated so as to convey the air for the atomizers taking their airflow through the connection. The positive pin is spring loaded, presumably in gold-plated brass and does not pose any particular problem. One can ask the question of the interest of a flat screw footprint on the contactor which is not used for much, if not to annoy the conductivity.
The battery door typically consists of undoing the rear panel, firmly secured by magnets to the main element. The behavior of the hood, the quality of the interior treatment and the functionality of the battery cradle will not pose any problem, it is well done.
A very clear square Oled screen dominates the main façade and can be divided into two distinct interfaces. The first borrows a bit from the Smok universe and offers very graphic circles. The second is more classic but just as effective. Both offer colors to differentiate crucial information. The current power or temperature, the voltage delivered in real time, the resistance value, the programmable pre-heat value and, finally, the energy gauge are also available, in real time even if I admits, but it's very personal, that this type of system seems to me quite anxiety-provoking ... 😉
In the end, the hot rubs the cold and we are surprised to hope that the brand can, in the future, rely as much on the tactile pleasure, important as it is, the visual pleasure.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Adjustment of the display brightness, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 26
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The house chipset operates according to the two traditional modes of operation.
So we have a conventional variable power mode, which ranges from 10 to 230W and increment or decrement increments of one-tenth of a watt up to 100W and increments of 1 W beyond. I note with great pleasure a feature offered by the screen that will display the number in red dice when you choose a power that, coupled with the value of your resistance, will exceed the possible 7.5V that can send the box. It's smart and very educational. Much better than boxs that just slump in the same case without saying why.
The Power mode, since it is so called, doubles as a pre-heat module to refine the curve of the output signal and thus obtain a custom vape rendering. Nothing new here, we have the traditional choice between HARD for a momentary boost, NORMAL to touch nothing and SOFT to start smoothly and a USER item that allows a custom setting that you can adjust watt value and time .
The temperature control mode is also present. It operates between 100 and 300 ° C in one-degree increments. The notice states that the two available modes can be used between 0.05 and 3Ω, which leaves me pensive. I did not dare to put my clothesline on my dripper to check the lowest level in variable power because my clothes were drying but I doubt very much that the temperature control could work at 3Ω!
Speaking of the temperature control, it accepts natively the following resistive: SS304, SS316, SS317, Ni200 and Ti1. It doubles as a TCR mode allowing you to implement by yourself the heating coefficients of your favorite resistive. It should be noted that it will be essential for a serene use of this mode to cold calibrate your resistance and lock it. Otherwise, the system is lost very quickly and becomes unusable.
There is also the possibility to adjust the contrast of the screen, view the remaining voltage in each battery, change the screen format and enable or not the energy saving function. This one did not seem to me very efficient besides, I do not obtain any difference if it is in function or off. (?)
The general ergonomics have been correctly worked and, apart from the obligation to precisely pre-set the resistance in temperature control mode that returns us some time back, we note that the user is very well guided in its learning and use.
In the balance, it's ok. Not revolutionary but correct.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Snowwolf has put the package for the packaging of the XFeng by proposing a box metal like sugar box, particularly well highlighted by a nice design work.
It has a very dense foam, guaranteeing the arrival in perfect state of voting model, which hosts the box, a charging cable, various papers and varied that make the joy of my trash and a notice. This one is in English but do not worry if you are allergic to foreign languages because it also speaks Chinese and Russian.
In real, a very beautiful packaging, very rewarding, worthy of what should be the packaging of high-end mods.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
XFeng ensures a vape of changing quality in varying power. The signal is correct in median power but becomes a little rough when you go up the scale of watts. I impute the "fault" to a chipset very (too!) Delicate with resistance values that change every second. I understand the need for the engineer to show the best possible accuracy but this is sometimes to the detriment of the simple pleasure of vape. Here she shows me 0.52, then 0.69, then 0.62 .... the round is infernal ... where a SX Mini persists to oscillate between 0.52 and 0.54 ... which seems more likely and especially more conducive to stabilize the power calculation algorithm.
Thus, one sometimes hesitates between perfect puffs, too hot puffs or anemic puffs with the desires of the chipset. Of course, naughty as I know you, you will imagine that it is my editing that makes his ... 😉 Alas for you, I tested the XFeng with a good dozen atomizers and we end up with the same problem.
Problem that diminishes with the temperature control mode ... It is necessary to calibrate the cold resistance, is old school but normal but, in addition, it must be locked. Ok, it's still normal. But blocking the resistance, unavailable in varying power, stabilizes the system and makes the vape more sympathetic. Here, the rendering is correct and, even if we observe some rather discreet pumping effects, the flavors are finally revealed.
It is quite rare for a mod to be more precise and less capricious in temperature control than variable power. This is the specificity, however, of the XFeng.
For the rest, we are not bad. The protection is numerous and allows a vape in safety. But the overall impression is tarnished by the grip a bit stiff, a chipset probably not perfectly developed and a finish that alternates excellence and setbacks in the same format.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Aspire Revvo, Tech Flave Alliance, Taifun GT3, Goon
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Yours ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.9 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Nothing to add. I can not say that I was seduced by the XFeng beyond the WOW effect at first glance. Without being a cheap box, our product of the day seems to lag a little behind the competition at the electronic level and the rendering of vape feels negatively.
A firmware upgrade should be able to fix these few bugs but it is not yet available for the moment. I hope that the manufacturer will act quickly, it would be a shame to leave it as is especially that the cosmetic and finishing qualities, if they remain perfectible, are still present.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.