- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: ETaliens
- Price of the tested product: 75.90 Euros (In all good shops English... at the manufacturer for reasons that escape us it's three times more expensive ... We let you look where to get it!)
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100W
- Maximum voltage: 9V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
In this gloomy season 2017, a little fun do not messied, you will agree. So, for a single day, finished the boxs cut with the billhook and which are similar like a group of minions. Finished the wise and rectilinear shapes from the drawing boards of chilly designers and eager to copy exactly what another creepy designer has created. Atomized the sensual curves of the new-age boxs, polar penguins and other soft toys for retarded children.
Today is the return of the beast. The unexpected comeback of the acid and insectoid legend. The box that kill space marines as easily as I get down a chicken carcass. I named the ET-X3 from ETaliens. Sensitive souls abstain, this magazine is forbidden to minors (like all the others ...) it's going to be tough!
ETaliens is a bunch of crazy, crazy movie fans who have made it their specialty to accommodate the aesthetics of the famous SF movie in the vape. So they come out boxs derived exclusively from this rich and strange graphic universe, which we owe to Giger and Ridley Scott. After a X2 that had made people talk about it and a X3 equipped with the no less famous DNA75 chipset, here is the third episode with a X3 100W, using a proprietary chipset and the possibility of opting for an 18650 or 26650 battery.
The box is available in gold, blue, silver (heresy all this !!!) and matte black or gun metal, closer to the Hollywood franchise. The price is about 75 €, public price generally found, which places the originality at a very friendly price. The box is able to work in varying power up to 100W or in temperature control. Maybe a future day, it can also swing laser beams killers but the upgrade is slow to arrive ... ^^
Friend reader, take your blaster and your plasma grenades and join me on the bridge of Nostromo, I spotted many green spots on my radar ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 36.6
- Product Length or Height in mm: 100.5
- Product weight in grams: 421
- Material composing the product: Aluminum alloy T6
- Type of Form Factor: Biomechanics.
- Decoration style: Universe movie
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, depending on your cinematographic culture and your personal tastes, you will have either a crush or a gag, there will be no middle ground. This warning launched, force is to note that the universe of the film is here perfectly rendered. The X3 thus presents a singular design whose quality of the realization could well push the directors of the next opus in film to use it in the saga. Indeed, the attention to detail has been pushed to its climax. Each line drawn is a sculpture, each part of the box an ode to the beast. From the almost biological edges of the butt to the more mechanical inserts found on the flanks, we find the whole drawing so special of the universe of the franchise. We will love. We will hate. But this box will not leave indifferent.
The construction is undoubtedly the biggest surprise, once past the shock of form. Indeed, in photo, we are entitled to think that the X3 is molded in a kind of cheap plastic but, I assure you, this is not the case. On the contrary, the grip is incredible, because we discover an object in aluminum alloy obtained by hardening, having undergone tempering and income to increase its hardness. In fact, the box seems to be a machine of war and has a consequent solidity. Moreover, a high weight attests and especially the real impression of having a handgun in the palm of the hand.
A few pieces of plastic slipped to some sensible places. This is the case of the switch and buttons [+] and [-] or of the bottom plate supporting the cooling vents that surround a hatch constituted by a cap to screw / unscrew to access the housing of the battery. This piece is brass, heavy and solid and, although I'm not a fan of this type of hatch closing, I must admit that, again, the perceived quality is flattering and a guarantee of reliability that we imagine excellent in the long run.
The 510 connection has a positive spring-loaded brass pin and has channels wide enough to facilitate possible airflow from the bottom of the atomizer. The thread is well machined and presents no problem in use.
A bright and accurate oled display shows the essential information and a micro-USB jack ends the front, just below the [+] and [-] buttons. The topography is fairly standard but fits perfectly in the complex convolutions of the box.
The finish is beautiful and, whether in terms of aesthetics or quality of machining and assembly, the X3 can not be the object of any criticism. The switch is nice, clicky wish and has a comfortable short run. Same for the interface buttons. Even if the buttons could be better subject to their housing, they move slightly indeed, there is nothing here that could affect the operation or comfort.
The grip, finally, is much more pleasant than one might guess looking at the tortured forms of the monster. Indeed, the remarkable absence of sharp edges, the softness of the material and a shape modeled on the butt of a revolver make that one is immediately at ease and that the object finds its place immediately in the hollow of the hand. Only the weight and size still marked the machine will discourage worshipers of small formats. For the rest, welcome to the lair of the beast. The object is beautiful, well finished and has a comfortable grip.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the power of the vape course, temperature control of atomizer resistors, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650, 26650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The X3 is a polymorphic being, fans of the movie already knew it! In this case, it accepts 26650 batteries and 18650 batteries with a silicone adapter supplied.
The modes of operation are quite traditional even if their name changes here. Indeed, we do not choose between variable power and temperature control but we set a choice in terms of resistive wire. Good for the call menu that becomes very simple but the understanding is not necessarily immediate when one has become accustomed to other boxes.
Thus, the "kanthal" mode calls the variable power mode while the "nickel 200", SS316 or "titanium" modes directly switch to the temperature control mode. However, do not worry, if you want, as I am doing right now, to use SS316 in variable power mode, you just have to choose the "kanthal" mode. I know, it's unusual but remember that we are not dealing with a terrestrial creature but an xenomorphic hybrid. So you have to learn to speak your language ...
The variable power mode (kanthal mode) thus makes it possible to traverse a scale from 7W to 100W, in increments of 0.1W on resistances going from 0.1 to 5Ω. The temperature control mode makes it possible to work between 105 and 315 ° C on a scale from 0.1 to 1Ω.
The operation is very simple and quickly enters the brain. Five clicks on the switch allow the power on or off. Three clicks allow you to access the mode selection menu where you will find the resistive wires that can be used. If you choose the kanthal, you are on the variable power module. If you choose one of the other types of wire, you switch on the temperature control. In this mode, no TCR or other exotic features, it's simple: the choice of wire induces a return to the main screen or you determine the maximum temperature. Then, clicking on the switch validates this temperature and allows you to influence the power. From that moment, the programmed temperature is confirmed and the power you choose will determine the speed at which it will be reached. Failing to be customizable and adjustable in the smallest detail, it's easy.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Unlike its famous model, the packaging will not start to piss the acid if you open it ... it's already that. A beautiful cardboard box contains the X3, the silicone adapter and a very nice USB / Micro USB cable with the coat of arms of the brand made of braided nylon, absolute proof that the details, even trivial, are treated in the optics of a welcome originality.
Do not lose this cable. It works great with the X3 but that does not seem to be the case with some more classic cables. The slightly greater length of the micro USB plug being, in my opinion, the reason.
The black cardboard and rigid also contains a silicone skin, perforated to perfection, to wrap the box with a protective layer while keeping the overall aesthetic spirit by revealing parts of his naked body. Finally a usable skin without being ugly!
The "notice" is exemplary in the sense that it reveals absolutely nothing of the operation of the box. A simple list of technical specifications and warnings that scare, in English of course, serves as a "manual". For once, thank you ETalians, it is not with this that we will hurt our eyes! Finally, let's be positive, we learn that we should not plunge the box under water, do not vape if the outside temperature exceeds 85 °, that we should not feed after midnight and that we can use it possibly with nicotine e-liquids. Foot !
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Except for the weight and size that can hinder nomadic use, the X3 proves to be a perfect companion of vape.
The proprietary chipset is quite credible and delivers a harmonious vape and a very straight signal. The rendering is therefore rather generous, soft and compact.
The latency is quite weak. We saw better but we saw worse.
The temperature control, however succinct, works very well and, by calibrating a reasonable power with the ideal temperature, we arrive quickly to a consistent rendering that avoids the effects of pump while limiting the heating to the level you have chosen .
By using an 26650 battery, we quickly find ourselves in the nails of manufacturer's recommendations that advise a battery that can deliver 40A peak. To use it with an 18650 battery, even if I do not really see the point, be careful to rely on brands that do not display odd numbers. A good Samsung 25R or a Sony VTC6 will do just fine.
The X3 is an ideal mod for vapping between 30 and 50W on a resistance scale between 0.3 and 0.8Ω. It is not really a cloud generator even if the promised 100W is realistic. The possible power, the weak but real latency and its aversion to the resistances of less than 0.1Ω do not make a mod dedicated to the competition but to a vape of every day.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 26650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All atomizers with a diameter less than or equal to 25mm
- Description of the test configuration used: Tsunami 24, Saturn, Kayfun V5
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: RTA or RDTA in 24 / 25mm of rather short diameter.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I loved it. You, I do not know, but I loved it.
The X3 is a UFO in the sense that its aesthetic slice radically with the usual niches of the vapological design. The movie reminder is omnipresent and will fascinate fans as much as it will repel others. It is a pure collector's item which, in ten years still, will be of actuality so much its identity is strong.
Nevertheless, it is not limited to this and offers a convincing rendering, very thick and compact, which will best serve the purposes of your favorite atomizer. "It" does not only parade, "it" also vape, and rather well. Note again a finish at the height and a pleasant grip.
For its originality, its aesthetic exception, it deserves, not an Oscar but a Top Mod!
"Here Helen Ripley, the only survivor of the Nostromo. I am in hibernation because the cockpit is full of steam! "
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.