- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 78.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1 in TC mode
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Smok or Smoktech is a Chinese manufacturer since 2010. He is responsible for the double coil cartomizer and a carto-tank, which at the time, represented a step forward for recent vapors. Since then, of course, the brand has made its way. With the Vmax and the Zmax, the epic of the electro tube mod started strong, not to mention the series of telescopic mounts. Who does not have his Magneto!
Today, Smok is still in the running. After releasing an XCube II 160W TC of good size, we will look at the "mini" 75W TC, supposed to align with the competition producing materials of the same characteristics, Joyetech, Eleaf or Kangertech ... among others.
The price of this box is in the average of what applies to this power range. The differences between them are in terms of proposed features and design. I will try to teach you the many specificities of the XCube mini, which are not limited to the main: the vape. Are all these functions useful? I would answer no as an old adept of the mod méca, but I understand that at a time when everything and everyone is connected, it is almost normal that the world of the vape is also there. As for the statistical and luminous trivia, it's a bonus.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 25.1
- Product Length or Height in mms: 91
- Product weight in grams: 258 equipped
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum / zinc, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Modern
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The measurements of the XCube mini: height 91mm, width 50,6mm, thickness 25,1mm for a battery-free weight of 205,7g make it a mini rather maxi in the category of 75W mini available on the market. What about the Lavabox, less wide and lighter and that sends 200W, not to mention its direct competitor, the mini VTC ...
The hull is SS alloy (stainless steel) / Zinc brushed steel color (that of the test). An irremovable face is marked at the top of the logo and the name of the box and at the bottom, the version of the Bluetooth firmware, the maximum power and Temperature Control, today essential.
The other facade hosts the lid on which is inscribed the name of the mark. Inside the cradle awaits a battery in 18650, preferably "High Drain" with high discharge capacity, minimum 30A if you intend to use it with an ato to 0,1Ω. The on-board electronics is ventilated by multiple holes.
The bottom cap has three rows of six degassing holes and a micro USB port for charging the battery (not supplied). There are also two screw heads holding down the "switch bar" device.
A whole side of the box is a "switch bar" firing mechanism that has advantages and a disadvantage that we will discuss below. Two lines of light are visible on both sides, between the switch and the hull.
The top-cap focuses the settings buttons, as well as the OLed (16 X10mm) screen and the 510 connection. Two other upper fixing screws of the switch device and LED bars are also visible, as are the two top-cap attachments to the housing housing the electronics.
If the overall appearance is quite aesthetic and solid appearance, it should be noted that the lid, held by two magnets, floats a little in its housing. It is convenient to open with one hand, so convenient in fact, that you open it in part without wanting to manipulate the box. Fortunately powerful magnets effectively recall it in a closed position.
The adjustment buttons and mode selections [+] and [-] also float and are rather audible when pressed. The switch bar finally is a puzzling piece because of its propensity to move a little in all directions, it is nevertheless practical because it works by simple pressure of the fingers or the palm, over all or part of its length.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistances of the Atomizer, Connection BlueTooth, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software paid options), Adjustment of the display brightness, Operating indicators, Clear error messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? Date and hour
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
There, it gets tough, this box is a geek utensil. In addition to the traditional functions of power variation and temperature control, it has a number of options (modes, functions, menus), some of which I admit, leave me a little perplexed. Let's detail the characteristics first. The securities are mentioned in the fixed protocol.
- VW mode (wattage variable): from 1 to 75W in increments of 0,1W / resistors from 0,1 to 3Ω.
- TC (temperature control) mode: from 200 to 600 ° F (100 to 315 ° C) - resistances from 0,06 to 3Ω.
- Voltage output: from 0,35 to 9V -
- Approximate charging time by the integrated module: 3h to 500mA 5V DC.
- You select the maximum temperature and the box will automatically calculate the power to be delivered.
- Detection and adjustment of resistive Ni 200 (Nickel) by default: accuracy factor: between + o / - 0,004 and 0,008 ohm.
- Initial adjustment of the cold coil: by this operation, after detection, the sub-ohm coils are pre-adjusted so that the subsequent adjustments are effective despite possible differences in values due to a faulty contact or variations approaching the short circuit .
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology: Bluetooth low energy, after 10 minutes without intervention, it enters sleep mode automatically
- Customizable Led: you can have fun with the 16 millions of colors and other sequences of appearances / changes / and even go without.
- Special draw effects: Hard / soft / norm / max / min, modes that boost or reduce power on the first 2 pulse.
- Flush counter: 4 different modes.
- Update and change the firmware settings online via the micro USB connection.
- The box cuts after twelve seconds of pulse.
- When the internal temperature reaches 75 ° C, the box cuts. Wait thirty seconds to vape again, ventilate by removing the battery and the cover.
- When there is only 3,4V on the battery, the box does not work anymore. Replace the battery.
There follows a long list of button operations and the switch to perform multiple operations according to the functions and modes chosen. Five quick presses of the switch lock or unlock the box (padlock closed or open).
In mode open lock, the functions, modes and menus available are:
- Bluetooth on / off by simultaneously pressing the [+] and [-] buttons
- To switch from one mode to another, simultaneously press the [-] button and the switch bar
- In the special draw effecs mode to choose a boost or reduction effect, simultaneously press the [+] button and the switch bar, "norm" is selected by default.
- To choose / select the menus, press the switch bar once lightly and quickly.
- To enter the submenus (if, if there is any!) Press and hold the switch bar.
In mode closed padlock, sit down, let's go!
- Duration and number of puffs: press the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously
- Choose the on or off screen: simultaneously press the switch bar and the [+] button
- Choose to turn on or off the side Led bars: press the switch bar and the [-] button simultaneously
- To display / set the date: press and hold the [+] button
- To display / set the time: press and hold the [-] button
To exit menus: press and hold the switch bar and choose OFF with an appropriate button.
You can now turn on the box to make the settings, press the switch bar five times quickly, you are welcome, send two coffees, continue.
In TC (temperature control) mode when you screw a new atomizer at room temperature, the box asks you "IS NEW COIL? Y / N "then choose the right option.
After this start (yes, before we just did the pit trials), quickly press the switch bar three times in two seconds to scroll 1 menus to 6 (a sugar in my coffee, please).
Menu 1: The Bluetooth symbol illuminates the screen. Wait five seconds or press and hold the switch bar. (I leave you to discover how to make the connection, give the password and all that follows, thanks to the instructions provided. (thank you for the coffee)
Menu2 : appears on the screen a broken line with three inclined directions (the seismograph type) wait five seconds or press and hold the switch bar to enter the sub-menu. You then choose between WATT MODE and TEMP MODE to select the special draw effects you have already heard of before. You will choose (under TEMP MODE) the "Nickel TCR mode" and the number of coil of your ato. (2 sensors are present by default: SS and Ni for the detection, the other types of resistives are the subject of a modification of the firmware, an option paying on line.)
Menu 3 : a led in action stylized then inscribes on the screen, four sub menus are available to your thirst to fight with this "essential" option typically Asian (that said without any racist connotation, but from a simple observation). I will not dwell on the thousands of possibilities you can add to the natural beauty of your box, nor on the overconsumption of energy that these fantasies will inevitably generate.
Menu 4 : it's a smoking pipe that is drawing on the screen. Again, these are statistics of time and numbers of puffs which I let you take full advantage and from all angles, I do not attach any particular interest and have not deepened the subject to tell you about it right here.
Menu 5 : the screen shows you the sun, symbol of light and what is possible to get from your box for this purpose. Wait five seconds or press and hold the switch bar to enter the six submenus.
- The light bulb and the time dial that appears, allows you to choose whether or not to display the screen, and in case of display, to allocate to it an active period between 15 and 240 seconds.
- The icon of the sun filled with a circle pointed at its center, offers a function of adjusting the contrast of the screen.
- The next symbol, shows a rectangle surmounted by a circular part (a man?) And 2 arrows on both sides. You can then rotate 180 ° on the screen.
- The time dial is used to set the date and time.
- A stylized coil above a vertical arrow tells you it's time to make the initial TCR setting.
- Finally, the screen traversed vertically by an arrow is the symbol indicating that you are in the right place to update the firmware via internet.
Menu 6 : A crossed O at the top represents the ultimate menu in this mode. Wait five seconds or press and hold the switch bar to access the submenus. This is where we manage the first two seconds of pulse at the power sent to the coil. The special draw effects that you choose will depend on the editing and the ato you use, if they are long to react or on the contrary require a quiet progression of the power sent by the box.
HARD DRAW allow 10% more power for the first two seconds
MAX : 15% more
STANDARD : default retains the selected settings
LOW : removes 10% of power
MIN : 15% less.
We went around, here are the messages that the screen tells you in specific situations:
HIGH IMPUT : the battery delivers more than 4,5V, the box will not work, change the battery (and send it to me because I have never seen such a thing happen)
LOW BATTERY : it is time to recharge the battery, it is below 3,4V.
OHM TOO LOW : resistance value too low (less than 0,1 Ω in VW mode or less than 0,07Ω in TC mode)
OHM TOO HIGH : resistance value too high (between 3 and 10 Ω)
CHECK ATOMIZER : resistance value above 10 ohms or poor contact between the ato and the box or at the mounting level.
SHORTED ATOMIZER : short circuit
DO NOT ABUSE PROTECTS : after a short, wait 5 seconds before vapping.
During loading a drawing represents the battery and the percentage of charge acquired is indicated. At full load, the drawing shows a full battery, you must remove the Micro USB connection.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Your box arrives in a cardboard box.
On the first floor, the box is protected in a foam box that you remove with the tab that protrudes. On the floor below, there is the USB / MicroUSB cable, a warranty card with your serial number and two flash codes for Bluetooth connection via Mac or Android systems, as desired. A warning card on the proper use and type of battery to be used with your XCube is included, as is the user manual in English.
For non Anglophiles, Smok has thought of everything, a Chinese version is of course available. You'll also find a white protective silicone case to occasionally uproot your brushed steel material, while avoiding it, it is true, to mark fingerprints.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
You will be able to vape with the XCube! It's planned. After having calibrated your coil and chosen a maximum temperature, the box finally allows you for what you bought it.
She does it pretty well, the vape is stable. The pulse start boost is effective to avoid latency in the reactivity / response of the coil. Note that it is by default in the neutral position (NORM). Performance is at the rendezvous, with a slight difference in announced values, downward for high power from 50W.
The switch bar allows you, in addition to firing, navigate the menus and validate each setting with one hand, it is a practical feature, exclusive to this box.
The battery change is easy, the cover removed, especially since you will have no trouble opening it with a thumb gesture to the outside.
There was talk of mechanical malfunction of the switch bar that I have not had the opportunity to observe in two days of use. It is practical and easy to handle no matter where you put pressure.
The screen is not very big, it shows you constantly, the remaining charge, the power / temperature (depending on the chosen mode) the resistance value and the special draw effect selected. During the vape, the screen is highlighted, showing you the pulse time (instead of the power) and the voltage progress during the pulse. It's nice but, as you are theoretically viping, you can not see this information, which disappears as soon as the switch is released. Ask a friend for help ...
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of ato up to 25mm in diameter, sub ohm or higher mountings to 1 / 1,5 ohm.
- Description of the test configuration used: Mini Goblin 0,64ohm - Mirage EVO 0,30ohm.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any type of ato in 510.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.2 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I am aware that I have somewhat substituted the XCube user manual and, not being geek for two sous, I have it, it took me a while. But I can now assure you that the main functions expected by a steam are actually operational.
In summary, know that Smok has done things well despite some minor mechanical defects and without major consequences on its operation. I find it a bit big and heavy for a mini box of this power, with a single battery. The electronics are not energy-consuming and if you took care to pass you of the luminous approvals, its autonomy is interesting with reasonable powers (between 15 and 30W).
At a moderate price, you're ready to spend a good afternoon of manipulations and settings, if you want to fully enjoy all the features offered, it goes without saying. Otherwise, you will spend only a few minutes and you will be in tune with what technology allows vapers nowadays.
Good luck, thank you for your patient attention.
See you soon
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.