- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapexperience
- Price of the tested product: 89.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Voltage and variable power electronics with temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 150 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Smok coexists two ranges in the box family. The first is the M series, simple and effective midrange boxes. The second is the X Cube family. This X Cube 2 is a kind of flagship at Smok. A massive box, which loads two batteries and is loaded with functions. One of the peculiarities of this machine is a bluetooth link that allows it to be directed and managed via an application on a smartphone. A pure geek box, futuristic looking.
Me, the smartphone addict, I had to test this box connected, gadget, but may not be that much.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 60
- Product Length or Height in mms: 100
- Product weight in grams: 239
- Material composing the product: Steel
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Not applicable
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
This X Cube 2 is rather massive at first glance. Even if we know that it is a double battery, it is still balaise. The clever design and brushed steel, however, gives a nice fluidity to the object that becomes elegant despite its wheelbase.
The oled screen placed next to the spring pin is square in shape, with a very good definition, perfectly integrated. Moreover, it seems solid and made to last.
The two small rectangular buttons +/- are just below the screen. Made of metal, they are well adjusted and very responsive.
One of the big aesthetic innovation remains in the solution chosen to constitute the fire button: a long bar on the side of the box bordered by two lines of light.
It is super classy, it is well found and it gives it a really futuristic side a little "starship" on the edges.
At the back of the box, a magnetic cover closes the battery cradles. This is for me the big black point in terms of quality of this box. The latter is not a model of adjustment and the magnets a little feeble do not help to improve the general feeling of this part. It's a little disappointing because the hood moves super easily.
The coating is nice but it easily takes finger marks and scratches, and saw the switch system, not sure to find a silicone skin ...
All in all, it's still a beautiful piece, with a design of its own, so let's salute the good work of Smok but please guys, a little effort on the hood of the next and the way try to reduce it a little.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the resistors Atomizer, Temperature control of atomizer resistors, BlueTooth connection, Supports firmware update, Display brightness adjustment, Clear diagnostic messages, Operating light indicators
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
It would be simpler and less time to tell you what this box does not, as it embeds features. It's not a geek box for nothing.
First of all it has a variable power mode, you will be able to vary the power of 6 to 160W with resistances ranging from 0,1 to 3 ohm.
Then, the TC mode that only works with Ni200, provides a temperature setting ranging from 100 to 315 ° C with a resistance value ranging from 0,06 to 3 ohm.
On these two modes, you can also define a system boost / cut that lowers or increases the power on the first two seconds of the puff, so we can go from "soft" to "max" through "normal" "Or" hard ".
A timer and puff limiter allows you to set your maximum number of puffs for the day. You will be able to consult the date and the hour on this box, functions which appear superficial but one knows never ...
The big point of this box is also its bluetooth 4.0 function that allows you to control all its features from your mobile IOS or Android system. It also allows you to establish a true analysis of your vape, hence the usefulness of the date and time to establish accurate graphs.
With the application, you can also choose the color of the led light bar with a color wheel.
Finally, note that the box has all the protections and therefore it remains ultra safe.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The traditional Smok box, black and surrounded by a headband dressed in a picture could not be more conventional. It's a shame not to have made an original packaging for the flagship of the brand. What about the small booklet not even translated into French while we are still facing one of the most complex boxes in this price category.
A USB cable, and only really positive aspect, a small velvet pouch to protect this box rather sensitive to scratches.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
I had a problem with the Tfv4 mini, equipped with a Clapton coil resistor supplied with the atomizer. The resistance is measured originally 0,60ohm. On all my other boxes, the resistance is stable while on the X Cube, it varies constantly, even reaching a maximum value that cuts the box. So it did not happen on any other atomizer, so I do not jump to conclusions but I still had to mention this incident.
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Let's start with its size and weight that do not really make it the queen of nomadism. Even if it is not impossible to put it in your coat pocket, you will still have to think about choosing the said coat not too close to the body with large pockets. After, do not forget the weight that will deform your pockets in the long run.
"Ergonomically" speaking, the huge switch system is super comfortable in the phase of vape, a little less when you want to navigate the menus, but it is still more positive as the comfort is great when you vape.
The use is not super complicated, but the many adjustment sub-menus are not necessarily accessible to all. With the application is a little simpler but again, it is not in French so we do not understand everything right now. Finally, let's be clear, if you are a techie geek, this box may not be the right choice.
There is a USB port but it is only used to update the software box, not reloading the batteries. This is not a big problem, the two batteries offer a very correct autonomy.
As for the vape (except for my little worries), once found your cruising speed, it's all good. It works well and I like the setting system that determines the attack of the puff.
In short, a good box that I will reserve more for a "sofa" use than "hiking in the mountains".
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? do you enjoy using your favorite atomizer
- Description of the test configuration used: tfv4 mini, double smok resistance Clapton cool in vertical
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: here too I plan to tell you how you want
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
My relationship with this X Cube is special.
In the photos I found it super classy with this all dressed steel Galactica look and these bright lines that are revealed with each puff. Once in hand, I am surprised by its real size which in one go goes against the fluidity of the lines. But it works anyway once past the effect of surprise. It's pretty cool in hand thanks to the ingenious fire button. And there, new annoyance, the battery access cover is not super well adjusted and in addition the magnets are not beefy enough to keep it in place. There, it breaks a little impression good overall quality.
At first, multiple menus, navigation with physical buttons, without notice, it tired me. I put the application on my laptop and there, I switched positively.
The vape is very nice, thanks to this system of adjustment of the start of the puff. I appreciate, depending on the juice or the time of day, to choose the attack of the puff. In addition, we still 160W under the hood so it makes a box verypolyvalente.
In the end I still enjoyed the product, the positive wins, especially given the price that seems honest and follows the current downward trend.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.