- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Wholesaler Francochine
- Price of the tested product: 46.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 85 W
- Maximum voltage: 8.5 V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
When a recipe is good, it can be declined to infinity, any good cooking mom will tell you. Thus, after a WYE 200W having received excellent reception both critical and public, the Chinese manufacturer Teslacigs presents us the little sister of his best-seller in the person of the WYE 85W.
The short story is therefore largely inspired by its elder and will try to obey the triumvirate of its specifications: lightness, strength and reliability. Small but not mini, it hosts an 18650 battery and therefore offers a comfortable power of 85W, sufficient in most cases.
Offered at a price between 40 and 47 €, public prices generally noted, she also knows reason to keep and will therefore be available to any viper wishing to vaper nomad with a reliable box. Rigged from the same chipset as her big sister, she should offer the same quality. At least, that's what we will apply to check.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 26
- Product Length or Height in mm: 82
- Product weight in grams: 99.5
- Material composing the product: PMMA
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The predominant aspect that strikes when taking the box in hand is its lightness. Made entirely of ABS, this material so resistant that it is bumper, it displays a featherweight of 99gr on the balance with battery and 56gr undressed. Suffice to say that the first constraint of the specifications is assured brilliantly. The weight is contained to the extreme limit of what can decently be done and is a significant asset for the carriage or use of the box.
The new WYE certainly displays 85, but it's more like cap B. Indeed, the size is quite modest but can not be compared to that of a Pico for example. However, its classic form factor but with sufficiently rounded corners and the softness of its coating are good pledges of a comfortable grip that will be as much for men as for women, regardless of the size of their hand. The shape as well as the dimensions bring it closer to a VTC Mini, another great bestseller if ever there is one.
Parallelepiped rectangle, yes but not only. The box offers us a very slight bulge at the level of the atomizer to offer the possibility of connecting devices up to 25mm diameter while remaining totally flush aesthetically. The top-cap offers us a standard connection board whose positive spring-mounted pin will fit your atomizers even if I encountered, at the very beginning of the test, a very slight problem: the chosen atomizer did not connect and I had to unscrew a little the screw of the positive pole to make contact. Is the depth of the connection the cause? No, since in any case, after a few screwing and unscrewing, the behavior has become all that is most normal. I deduce that the connection pin was badly started at the start and that it naturally found its place thereafter.
Available in many colors, the WYE 85 offers a generally colorful aesthetic that changes a bit of the dictatorship of all-black of some competitors. Its flanks are decorated with hot stamped engravings that proudly announce the brand and the type of the box. The icing on the cake, a second battery hood is offered, spotted black, to change a little of the monolithic orange of the test specimen. This will be the case for all boxes and you will be able to make the most unexpected marriages.
Since we are talking here about the hood, it is asymmetrical in its shape, one of the sides coming back more deeply into contact with the main body, and holds firmly by clipping. No magnets here but the outfit seems to suffer no blame. It has a wide opening that allows, besides the vision of the battery, a good grip and a natural degassing vent of good size. And, if that was not enough, Tesla added a row of five circular vents on the opposite side. Suffice to say that if there is heat, it will not be the battery that it will come ...
The main facade presents the dashboard. The switch is also ABS and its race and shape make it perfect in any point to vape. The [+] and [-] buttons share the same support and are perfectly efficient and accurate. The oled screen is small but clear. All the important information is presented and the visual is nice and not upset, even in the light of the sun.
An excellent balance sheet that presents a box that will shine above all by its practical aspects, the aesthetic has not been the goal sought by the brand. For the rest, it is almost a flawless, the finish is very good, the particularity of the use of ABS, if it can put off at the beginning, quickly becomes a significant advantage. We are on a product that fully assumes its excellent quality / price ratio.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We already know the chipset used on this box because it is the same motorized his big sister. This one is clamped here to 85W in order to correspond to the initial choice of the simple battery. The engine of the WYE has been very intelligently thought out and offers everything that one is entitled to expect from the current technology. Several modes coexist to help you tailor a custom vape.
The variable power mode, from 7 to 85W, is called here "Ka". No, it's not the Jungle Book snake that would have been cut off from an "A" but a short cut for Kanthal. Rest assured, you can of course, as I do when I speak, use this mode with other resistive. In this formula, the box starts from 0.1Ω and goes up to 3Ω. The change of the power is made in increments or decrements of 0.5W. This is my happiness, I think it is nothing more painful than waiting for hours that the power increases or decreases when you press the corresponding buttons ...
The temperature control mode is complete. It displays a usable range between 100 and 300 ° on a scale of resistance between 0.05 and 1Ω and will host in native SS316, Ni200 and titanium. For users of other resistive wire alloys, there is also an on-board TCR mode that will allow you to fine tune your settings by implementing your own heating coefficient. Thus, all the possibilities seem to have been acquired: nichrome, silver, gold, uranium 235 (be careful, the latter makes you cough a little ...).
A "Taste" mode that gives you the ability to influence the signal punch is also present and comes in four settings. NORM lets the signal speak normally. SOFT softens the climb curve to avoid a dry-hit or a too fast heating on a very reactive assembly. HARD allows, conversely, to awaken more efficiently a somewhat diesel assembly. USER can trim your custom curve by choosing your power for each second over the ten seconds duration of the puff. Of course, this module is only available with the variable power mode.
Three memory allocations will allow you to store your settings and be recalled simply. You can define the total behavior of your WYE for three different atomizers and unsheathe each change. Of course, you can also not use memory recall capability and manage any new atomizer you install on the box.
In all cases, the maximum output intensity is 30A. It should be noted that this value corresponds to the total power of 85W sent on a coil at 0.1Ω, which is reassuring. Be sure to choose a suitable battery that can follow this consideration.
As for the usual protections, they are all at the rendezvous. Vaper, yes. Vaper loud, yes! But be safe first!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A fairly traditional white cardboard box embeds:
- The WYE 85W
- USB / Micro USB charging cable
- The second battery cover
- A certificate of conformity
- A multilingual notice including a French that would have made Molière blind but that allows us to understand the mysteries of the very simple operation of the product.
The whole is therefore more than correct. We do not play with the patience of the vaper, it's perfect.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Those who had the chance to try the WYE 200W will find here the same feelings. For others, know that the rendering of vape is very qualitative. It is accurate while being voluptuous, the signal is perfectly worked to make a vape worthy of the name and conducive to all types of use. Whether low power or deep, the result is always the rendezvous and this is the highlight of this box that does not sacrifice the quality of taste on the altar of performance or that of the price.
In temperature control, it's the same thing. The WYE 85W works hard and frees itself from its commonplace origins to titillate the pride of defending champions Evolv or Yihi. We do not see here the usual pumping effects in middle market competitors, the control is provided by the chipset beautifully.
The world Taste is very effective and fulfills perfectly its office. The big plus is provided by a very low latency that gives a nice responsiveness to the support on the switch. The vape feels positively as we can imagine.
The balance is almost perfect. I note, for the form, a slight flat on the battery meter, a little optimistic. Be careful, this does not affect the honest autonomy of the box but, around 30% residual voltage displayed, the box begins to warn that the battery arrives at its last entrenchment by clamping the power, as it should normally do it much lower. However, this optimism is also found with the battery fully charged and the time of descent of the gauge being proportional, so we find ourselves. Nothing abnormal and above all nothing penalizing the operation of the box but, as his older sister does not present the same problem, I still wanted to report it. Suffice it to say that from 30%, you have to think about changing the battery.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Titanide Leto, Coil Master Marvn, Hadaly ...
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: With any atomizer whose diameter is less than or equal to 25mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
An excellent note from 4.5 / 5 comes to salute a high-flying performance of the WYE 85 W. This small box has in the belly and it ensures a vape quality that has nothing to envy to the upper segment. In addition, the three parameters that we talked about in the introduction are very present and respected on arrival: lightness, solidity, reliability.
The box should have obtained a Top Mod because, objectively, it deserves it. But the optimism of the battery gauge amputates 0.1 necessary to obtain the distinction. Similarly, I searched unnecessarily on the site of the manufacturer a possible possibility to upgrade the firmware, to no avail. The support does not seem to be a major concern for Tesla and it's a shame.
M'enfin, let's leave this melancholy note to greet once again the real quality of the small box, a quality that does honor to the reputation of the brand and is well in line with his big sister. Also welcome the tariff content, given the high level of rendering that the WYE offers us, in all simplicity.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.