- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Phileas Cloud
- Price of the tested product: 189.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 167 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.20 (VW) - 0,10 (TC)
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The VapeDroid C2D1 succeeds the C1D2 which was equipped with a DNA75 chipset. It embeds in its bowels a module DNA250 which is significantly more powerful than its predecessor, however the power of this box is limited to 167W.
Because no, with a capacity of two batteries (25A mini), we can not make a miracle and develop the 250W chipset so the box has been clamped to work with a power supply with two batteries. A bit of a pity, will you say? Yes and no because, compared to previous dna, it is more efficient, more stable and improves the temperature control mode that becomes more reliable.
This box is also better protected with an alarm in case of reversal of the polarity of the batteries. It also includes an internal fuse. It is possible to recharge the Vapedroid C2D1 via a micro USB cable and I recommend it because the charging time is incredibly fast. So no, no regrets to have limited this box which, despite this, offers a great power of 167W with competitive advantages and a format and weight that remain comfortable.
The modes available are variable power and temperature control mode with a range from 100 to 300 ° C or 200 to 600 ° F. All types of resistive are accepted, provided to set the alloys that are not stored in the chipset. As for the minimum values of your resistances, they will be 0.1Ω in temperature control and 0.2Ω in variable power.
This box is also customizable via the well known software now, ESCRIBE, which allows you to make settings choices and memorize them by connecting to your computer. Otherwise, original and for those who do not wish to "geeker", the C2D1 has all the basics of a standard box and more.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 47 x 30 (25 for the maximum diameter of the atomizer) and connection plate with a diameter of 21mm
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 262 and 173 without batteries
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, zinc alloy
- Form Factor type: bean form
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: on the front near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The VapeDroid C2D1 is bean-shaped, quite similar to Vaporflask. Compact and ergonomic, it takes place without difficulty in the palm of the hand and brings a very significant comfort with its rounded shapes. This box is all black zinc alloy and it is not sensitive to fingerprints due to the matte appearance of the coating. On the other hand, this one does not have the advantage in front of the more or less greasy traces of liquid which could flow but they disappear quickly of a blow of handkerchief. On the outside, no screws are visible.
On its front side, on both sides of the switch, two large openings melt into the shape of the box to provide a discreet and harmonious cooling. On the side, there is a very simple stall that can grip the hood that contains the batteries. It opens easily and is perfectly supported by four magnets, two round on the top of the hood and two other rectangular on the bottom. Inside, the position of the batteries is widely marked, impossible not to see (unless you do it on purpose).
Above the box, there is the 510 connection with a spring-loaded pin that makes all the atomizers that will be placed on them flush. This connection is made of stainless steel and offers a platinum 21mm diameter. However, the width of the box will assemble an atomizer 25mm diameter without difficulty.
Below the box is the serial number with the usual inscriptions.
On the front, there are the rectangular-shaped steel knobs positioned on the top of the screen for the switch and below for the setting buttons that form a rectangular block of the same size as the switch, then the opening for the micro USB cable for reloading. Everything is well aligned, well proportioned, the choice of steel buttons is good and they work perfectly with excellent responsiveness. The screen is bright, with a standard size of 28 x 9mm, and provides a nice readability with a display of power in very large and clear information.
Overall, we have a compact and ergonomic template with a neat shape for a very distinguished look.
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
So we have a nice ergonomics, with a reasonable weight and a size, but it is especially the competitiveness of a powerful chipset that manages this box, a DNA250 of last generation, which makes the product attractive.
The features are provided on the Evolv website. However, it must be kept in mind that these characteristics are given for a power supply of three batteries and not two on the box that we analyze. Some numbers are therefore to be revised downward for our particular configuration.
The modes of vape : They are standard with a power mode from 1 to 167W that is used in kanthal, stainless steel or nichrome, with a threshold resistance at 0.2Ω and a temperature control mode from 100 to 300 ° C (or 200 to 600 ° F) with resistive Ni200, SS316, titanium, SS304 and TCR or you can implement the coefficient of the resistive you use. The threshold resistance will then be 0.1Ω. Be careful when using batteries that provide at least 25A.
The display of the screen: The display gives all the necessary indications: the power that you have set or the temperature display if you are in TC mode, the battery indicator for the general state of charge, the display of the voltage supplied to the atomizer when we vape and obviously the value of your resistance.
The different modes : You can use the different modes depending on the circumstances or needs. Thus, the dna250 offers a locked mode (Locked mode) so that the box is triggered in a bag, it inhibits the switch. Stealth mode allows you to turn off the screen. Lock locked mode (Power locked mode) to prevent the value of power or temperature from unexpectedly shifting. The resistance lock (Resistance lock) allows to keep a stable value of it if you calibrate it cold. And finally, the setting of the maximum temperature (Max temperature adjust) allows you to save the setting of the maximum temperature you want to apply.
Preheating : In temperature control, Preheat allows you to have a time frame that preheats your resistance so as not to burn the capillary. On the DNA250, it has been improved and becomes faster
Detection of a new atomizer : This box detects the atomizer change and can self-calibrate the resistance. It is therefore desirable to always place atomizers with resistance at room temperature so that the calibration is good.
Profiles : It is also possible to create eight different profiles with a pre-recorded power or temperature to use a different atomizer, depending on the resistive wire used or its value, without having to set each time your box.
Error messages: Check Atomiser (Check atomizer) Weak battery (small battery) Check Battery (Check battery), Temperature protected (protected temperature) Ohms too high (Ohms too high), Ohms too Low (Ohms too low), Too hot ( Too hot).
The screen saver : Automatically turn off the screen after 30 seconds
The recharge function: It allows to recharge the battery without removing it from its slot, thanks to the USB cable connected to the PC. It also allows you to connect to the Evolv site to customize your box by Escribe. Another improvement on this chipset is the reloading 2A that allows to recharge the batteries in record time because it took me less than an hour for two batteries
The different detections and protections:
- No resistance
- Protection against short circuits
- Signals when the battery is low
- Protects from deep discharges
- Cut in case of excessive heating of the chipset
- Prevents if the resistance is too high or too low
- Cut in case of resistance temperature too high
- Alarm in case of polarity error and integrated fuse
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
In a black cardboard box, the box is coated with a protective plastic and wedged in a velvet foam.
One floor below is a micro USB cable and instructions for use in several languages but it lacks a lot of information. This is a shame because even the use of Escribe is not explained. you will need to refer to specialized forums to learn how to use them.
A conditioning that is suitable but is not exceptional even if the box is protected properly. For the price, a note worthy of the name would have been appreciated by including the technical characteristics of the chipset and the mode of operation for Escribe, in order to personalize the purchased product.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The Vapedroid C2D1 with its DNA250 works perfectly well. It is very responsive in providing maximum power of 167W, without flinching and without heating. Its use is simple and the buttons are easy to handle.
It has eight profiles, as soon as it is switched on (5 clicks on the Switch), you are necessarily on one of them. Each profile is intended for a different resistive: Kanthal, nickel200, SS316, Titanium, SS304, SS316L, SS304 and No Preheat (to choose a new resistive) and the screen is declined
- Battery charge
- Value of resistance
- Temperature limit (or voltage display)
- Name of resistive used (or display of amperage)
- And power to which you are vaping, displayed at wholesale
Whatever your profile is the display you have.
Easy to use, to lock the box, just press 5 once on the switch very quickly, the same operation is necessary to unlock it.
You can lock the control knobs and continue to vape by pressing the "+" and "-" simultaneously.
To change the profile, it is necessary to have previously blocked the adjustment buttons then press twice on the "+", finally just scroll through the profiles and validate your choice by switching.
Finally, in TC mode, you can change the temperature limit, you must first lock the box, simultaneously press the "+" and "-" during 2 seconds and proceed to the adjustment.
For the stealth mode that turns off your screen, simply lock the box and hold for 5 seconds the switch and the "-".
To calibrate the resistance, it is imperative to do so when the resistance is at room temperature. You lock the box and you must hold for 2 seconds the switch and the "+".
It is also possible to modify the display of your screen, graphically visualize the work of your box, customize the settings and many other things, but for that it is necessary to download Escribe via the micro USB cable on the site Evolv
Select the DNA250 chipset and download
After downloading, you will need to install it.
Once the installation is complete, you can plug in your box (on) and start the program. Thus, you have the possibility to modify at your convenience the Vapedroid C2D1 or to update your chipset by selecting "tools" then update the firmware.
To perfect it all, it is important to know that this product keeps a good autonomy.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? There are none in particular
- Description of the test configuration used: with a Genesis 0.2 ohm assembly, 0.3ohm and SS316 double-coil assembly with 210 ° C CT
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: There are none in particular
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
For use, it is the module that does everything.
In addition to the reputation of the DNA, the 250 offers some improvements on the vape in temperature control mode and offers an extremely fast charging of the batteries. Too bad it is clamped, but with only two accumulators, it would not have been possible to achieve the power of 250 W. However, we keep the development of DNA in a box format very convenient and minimized.
The bean-shaped look is successful, which allows you to have a good grip. No tools are needed to insert the batteries since the hatch is magnetized.
All protections are provided with an audible alarm in case of reversal on the polarity of the batteries. Its vape is smooth and impeccable, its operation requires some adaptations but with time and some manipulations, it is done.
The biggest drawbacks remain on the customization and various settings that must be done on Escribe and therefore understand how to customize the box. I also regret the user manual that is summary and does not give all the features of the chipset and finally the use of the 250 dna which is bridle 167W, while a dna200 would have been enough. Certainly he has reasons for that, but I do not fully understand them.
The bottom line is that we are of course a very powerful mod at the vape level with all the necessary security
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.