- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: My Free Cig
- Price of the tested product: 189.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Mechanical without kick support possible
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum voltage: Mechanical mod, the voltage will depend on the batteries and their type of mounting (parallel)
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.2
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Vicious Ant is the business name of a Filipino moder that geeks of the vape know well, especially his creations I mean. From Valkyrie to Kraken, I will not list here all the objects produced by this talented craftsman, usually very beautiful, very elaborate and superbly crafted.
The box that we will examine together is the same vein as the rest of the production, thankfully, because its price is also directed to the high end. Your purchase is at this price well presented, but do not expect a detailed record. This is a box battery mecha double with a conceptual particularity that does not allow it to be included in the rank of simple full mecan, we will return.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 22
- Product Length or Height in mms: 93
- Product weight in grams: 150
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum, Copper
- Form Factor type: Classic box - VaporShark type double battery
- Style of decoration: Classic, sporty type
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the top cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 0
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Its black appearance and its grainy feel could suggest aesthetic sobriety if it was not embellished with the Vicious Ant logo stylized on a stainless steel coat of arms not very discreet, but you will tell me that it is there to be noticed and I will give you reason. Another graphics oriented car racing, this one gives it a case look, 70 years, (1970 eh not 1870) which in my opinion does not have much to do with the Big Lebowski, him also, and well before this box, nicknamed The Duke.
Otherwise the object is aluminum alloy type T7 which, by a specific treatment, predisposes the objects of which it is manufactured, a good resistance to natural corrosion under tension, I appreciate this quality, and I understand a little better the rate requested. Copper and stainless steel are also part of it.
Its weight without batteries is rather advantageous 150g barely, and the dimensions it displays are correct for a double battery (44x22x93mm). The lockable switch is located on the top, its stroke is very short, and it takes all the available width, we can not miss it. Overall this box is well finished, the materials used are reliable and in their place, it is time to detail its features and features.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
To insert the batteries in parallel only, you rotate the quarter-turn circular and triangle-shaped circular caps that indicate the locked or open position by the hole location (degassing vent). The connection pads are copper and floating on springs, you will take care to use only flat 18650 minimum 30A. You have come a long way when the operation is completed.
You still have to screw an ato (mini assembly recommended by the manufacturer: 0,1 ohm, we'll talk again), to unlock the switch by releasing the aluminum bar of his race, and then I can certify that you are ready to vaper if you have correctly loaded your ato juice beforehand, it goes without saying.
Nothing complicated that would deserve a notice you say, yet I still think that the latter has its usefulness, everyone does not know the steamer to learn about details that may be important, and the commercial regulations of the EU in matters relating to electrical energy imposes the information of the consumer, I approve this constraint made to manufacturers AND distributors.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 1.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
I will not go back on the lack of instructions for use, only a drawing card instructs you in the right way to have your batteries in their homes, without further details on their desirable CDM characteristics. The box is, it, at the height of the object, decorated in relief of the logo of the mark and endowed with a contiguous attached lid, the box is perfectly protected inside by a housing in rigid foam which maintains it without floating. At this price it is a minimum which I must specify that some Filipino moders, do not consider it useful to take into consideration, I think of a particular atomizer which I will do a review shortly.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy but requires a workspace
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, you will not be able to count on a ventilation "from below" of your atomizer, the connector 510 if it is in stainless steel and equipped with a floating pin for your montages flush, does not have grooves allowing this functionality . A concentric annular groove is provided in case of slight leakage of juice to prevent it from spreading on the positive contact which would then lose its conductivity.
The lock is functional, rather well integrated and discreet at the height of the switch. The positive contacts are also made of copper, and the body of the box is easily disconnected from the top cap by unscrewing 2 long screws accessible from below and housed in 2 visible holes.
When accessing the switch mechanism you will discover a peculiarity perhaps a little unfortunate contacts between the latter and the 510 connection: it is a welded wire that plays a role in the capacity of the box to work with particularly low ULR mounts. This soldered wire will play the fuses if you go down under 0,1 ohm, according to VA, and 0,2 according to our dedicated electricity specialist that you know under the pseudonym of Toff.
So that's the reason for the restriction I told you at the beginning of this test, this box is not considered full meca.
The positive side (yes there is) is that once the instructions all well respected, you will be able to vape for a long time, with 2 parallel battery your autonomy to 0,3ohm is a quiet day, that's what I noticed with the Royal Hunter by copiously steaming.
This peculiarity of the mech means that you will have to manage the remaining charge of your batteries, this supposes a good knowledge of the unregulated vape not to discharge them beyond 3,2V under risk of not being able to recharge them.
But hey, we are mechanics or we are not, and the feeling comes quickly, it's a degressive vape with three steps. First it's the mega foot, (10 / 20 taffes) then it's the foot (a few hours) and finally quite suddenly it's misery, you have to change the batteries.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of atomizer mounted between 0,2 and 1 ohm
- Description of the test configuration used: Royal Hunter mini to 0,3 ohm, 18650A 35A batteries
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: 30A minimum battery, atos 0,5 ohm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.1 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Duke is a dual battery powered box, created by Vicious Ant in aeronautical / industrial quality aluminum, for a vape of great autonomy. Not given it is certain, but reliable and rather well designed, it can even seduce these ladies for its ease of use and its contained measurements. the fans of the mecha will be surprised by the restriction of the resistance values of their mounts applicable to this box, and will not be able to prevail to vape in full mecha. In return, they have in hand a reliable tool, well studied, solid and has a probable ability to last without any particular problem.
It is also an object of artisanal design, numbered, signed with a big name of the vape which because of this, costs more than its industrially equivalent equivalent to millions of copies, I will not decide on the notion of report quality / price, even if this box seems too expensive.
In this time of sharing, or if you want to indulge yourself with a beautiful object, you know what to expect and maybe even you will acquire a collector that will take value in a few years, do we ever know…
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.