- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
If the name of Council Of Vapor resonates in all heads of vapogeeks, it is largely thanks to the idea of genius having been to release the first real mini-box with a comfortable power. The Mini Volt had its moment of glory and paved the way for many builders by creating a particular category. An idea of genius!
Of course, connoisseurs will argue that reducing VOC in this box alone is completely limiting and that many other products have done much for the image of the brand. They are absolutely right because we are talking about a manufacturer who has reinvented itself and laid solid foundations along its short existence.
Today, VOC is back with the Tempest 200W, a box on the opposite side of the board. Three batteries, 200W maximum power, a bodybuilder physique, the object impresses. It comes to spend a little sweep in a category or has warmly installed the Reuleaux RX200 and some other powerful and voluminous boxes electros, category or also flower boxes more expensive motorized by Evolv, only category finally or a box can driver a dripper mounted in 0.1Ω without complaining but also ensure a cushy and autonomous vape with less demanding atomizers.
The Tempest is presented to us at a rate of 79.90 €, which is relatively modest and seductive assets that we will detail below. Really thought to thwart the leadership of the Reuleaux RX200 because wanting to be powerful, autonomous but also user-friendly, it could well make its white or black voice, depending on the color you choose, in the concert of large powerful divas.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 37
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 294
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy, carbon fiber
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
What a gun! It is difficult, in my opinion, not to fall in love with the callipyge beauty of the Tempest. All curves sensual and having a truly innovative aesthetic, the box displays shamelessly its shapes certainly tormented but perfect.
It is perfectly understood what the manufacturer wanted to do in view of the result. This is a box that is made to fit the shape of the hand. Each notch suggests it and force is to note that the handling is really nice, on two conditions however: to have a large hand and to use his index finger and not his thumb to engage the switch.
Indeed, the size of the Tempest is impressive. Much deeper than a Reuleaux for example and what is a blessing for those lucky enough to have generous palm assets will be a plague for those with small and delicate hands. Ditto, the shape of the Tempest is really made for those who switch with the index. If you operate with the thumb, it's a bit like driving your car in the passenger seat ... The shape will appeal but the grip will be either a revelation or engender a "niet" firm and definitive! Difficult to be unanimous with such a bias that I personally rejoice because far removed from the usual ergonomic facilities.
But we can largely console ourselves with the display of highly worked materials that dress the body of the beautiful. The main material is a zinc alloy, obtained by molding, which allows an almost infinite variety of different shapes. The rubber paint affixed to the mod has a very voluptuous touch and accentuates the perceived quality. The top-cap and bottom-cap display, in this black livery, a gun metal finish of very good quality. But the picture would not be complete if there was the paw that made the manufacturer famous. It is thus that we find with pleasure a carbon fiber insert on one side of the box, a sympathetic attention to the fans and an additional seduction asset that accentuates the "sporty" aspect of the beautiful.
The screen is fairly clear in the information display and spreads over much of the length of the facade dedicated to it with a nice mirror finish. It can be criticized, however, to miss a little brightness.
The switch is really powerful, simple in its round shape and its metallic appearance, it falls perfectly under the index and is triggered with flexibility. He has just the necessary resistance and not one more iota. We find the same principle, smaller on the buttons [+] and [-], as nice. The buttons click a little in their respective locations but their operation is in no way impaired. On the other hand, I note a flat to emphasize: there is no serigraphy indicating [+] and [-] next to or on the buttons. This is not really a problem, the button [+] being the one that is traditionally closest to the screen in this configuration but, in use, when you have to operate quickly, it can be confusing.
The top-cap, all by itself, is a work of art. Equipped with an 510 connection whose positive pin is spring loaded, it is equipped with significant air intakes that have been worked to give even more aesthetic sense to this location. It's beautiful as a beautiful scar and perfectly functional for the rare atos that still take their air by the pad 510.
The bottom-cap is in the same vein artistic and has a button that allows easy extraction of the battery cradle. It then comes out of his home quickly and presents a carousel battery for easy insertion of your batteries. Be careful though! Indices to know in which direction to insert the batteries are well hidden but they exist. It's up to you to find them, 😉! I add, so as not to scare you that the box being equipped with a polarity control, you will not risk anything if you make a mistake, the Tempest will simply not start.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 3
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
It is at the foot of the wall that we can best see the wall! Council Of Vapor has made a tough choice but seems to be working, that of moving away from the functional ergonomics of its competitors and developing its own conception of the use of functions.
First, you should know that the Tempest will operate in two modes: variable power or temperature control in Ni200, SS or titanium. No TCR here, VOC focusing on the most basic functions to avoid overloading menus unnecessarily. In addition, it is true, quite between us, that the TCR is probably not the most used mode at the moment and that, behind the commercial argument, is more prosaically a feature that is hardly prized only by rare geeks.
In return, the manufacturer offers us three modes of smoothing the signal input, like some Yihie chipsets. Thus, it will be easy to choose between Soft, Standanrd and Powerful to draw the first moments of your puff. For example, if you use a particularly diesel mount, you will be well advised to position this function on Powerful to give a boost to your claptons! Conversely, if you are on a wise fitting in 0.30 kanthal, you could choose the Soft mode that will determine a gradual rise in the voltage sent to avoid the risk of dry-hit. This feature, which one very quickly identifies the outlines to the rendering, is a real plus.
At the level of manipulations, the modus operandi is different but enters quickly, after some tests, in your head, proof that the ergonomics was not the poor relation of this box:
5 clicks on the switch turns on the device.
5 new clicks allow you to enter the menu. Once in this one, the switch makes it possible to change the categories and the other two buttons to refine the settings or to confirm them. It is through the POWER OFF menu, for example, that you can turn off the box.
We do not change the power or temperature by buttons [+] and [-] and this is probably why VOC exempted themselves from naming them as well. Indeed, it is by entering the menu that we modify these parameters.
When you steam, the [+] and [-] buttons have other functions. The [+] lets you on the fly recall one of three memory locations you can program. The [-] is used to call the Soft (SO) Standard (ST) and Powerfull (PO) functions, which is very convenient.
You will have to read the manual, which is in French among others, to tame the beast but I reassure you, it comes very quickly, all this was well thought out.
In the category of absences that are noticeable: no micro-USB port here. So no charge of native batteries, which is reassuring because, we can never say enough, nothing beats a real charger to take care of your batteries. But no upgrade possible, which is more damage ...
The protections are complete and the Tempest is safe!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A beautifully decorated black cardboard box, a beautiful box inside, a notice in French, it should be enough to your happiness. But, there is nothing infamous about it. No USB cable, it is normal since, if you followed well, you know that there is no USB port on the Tempest. This explains why!
A small flat on the record. If this one is well done and explains perfectly the various manipulations to make, one regrets that no technical characteristic is specified there some of which could be useful, the minimum and maximum resistances for example ...
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Nothing works, needs a bag in a bandage
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Difficult because requires several manipulations
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Well, do not even think about walking with the Tempest in your Hawaiian shirt pocket this summer, it will not do it. Its size and weight will drag you forward inexorably and harder will be the fall!
On the other hand, if the box is made for your big hands, you will take a great pleasure to use it. Once acquired the few new ergonomic, it is only happiness! Reliability and smoothing of the signal, possibility of influencing the beginning of the curve, power do you want it is available regardless of the demand, possibility of driver very large drippers mounted very low and a final very sharp and precise , it is a dream !
The Tempest behaves admirably and combines its particular beauty with amazing performances at this price level. Joining and even exceeding, in my opinion, the RX200 in terms of rendering, it flirts with DNA200 or the best Yihie chipsets by the quality of its rendering and its ability to go from a quiet vape to a furious vape with the same go, which is quite rare.
I also noticed a rather flattering autonomy, including steaming between 75 and 90W over long periods. You tell me: with three batteries, would miss more than that ... That's right but the autonomy delivered is, in comparison, much more important than a Reuleaux DNA200 also equipped with three batteries. It exceeds even, in my opinion, the already quite important autonomy of the Reuleaux RX200 S. Typically the box style we like to have when we go for the weekend!
In terms of reliability, even if a few days are not enough to get a concrete idea, I note that there was no malfunction throughout the test and that the quality of vape does not vary according to the discharge of the batteries.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 3
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: OBS Engine, Vapor GIant Mini V3, Vaponaute Zephyr, Narda
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: To you the choice of weapons ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
In all sincerity, I loved testing this box.
The different ergonomics of our habits, which had frightened me a little at first, convinced me. So there is a wide range of possibilities in the matter to discover still in the vape and I find it pleasing that a manufacturer may want to jostle the so-called acquired, as effective as they are.
The vape is superb, almost as much as the tempest plastic of the Tempest and fits perfectly all styles of vape.
Of course, this box will not go to all hands, it is his only defect truly disqualifying. In this regard, Wismec did better with a Reuleaux certainly impressive but less sensitive to the size of your hand. But, for those who have the luck (or bad luck) to have big paws or spidery fingers, it is the paradise of the ergonomics, the box will be almost part of you.
A great success that comes to sanction a very well deserved note. The Top Mod was not far, it just missed the possibility of an upgrade to achieve it. In any case, Council Of Vapor decided to go on the attack and, if the manufacturer continues, he could reshuffle the cards soon. Bravo!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.