- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 139 €
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100W
- Maximum voltage: 4,2V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The kings of the Chinese High End are back with a new box. If the name is not new, SL class, everything else is.
A new chipset, a new design and the possibility of using a choice of 18650, 20700 or 21700 batteries. A simple box accu but can reach the 100W.
If you doubt, the 139 € confirm that we are facing a high-end product, so let's see if this new creation is up to the rest of the family.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Product Diameter in mm: 31.5 X 41,5
- Product Length or Height in mm: 89
- Product weight in grams: 220
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Zinc Alloy, Carbon
- Form Factor Type: Grenade
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical metal on contact rubber (joystick)
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
This new SL Class adopts a fairly "raw" style. A large tube of 31,5mm diameter on which is grafted a sort of metal module where we find the fire button, the oled screen, a joystick control and finally the micro USB port.
The tube is dressed with choice of stab wood, carbon or etched aluminum. The top-cap and the bottom-cap are almost similar (except the 510 port).
The style is as I underlined more "manly", there is less finesse in the features but despite everything, the box has a certain class and obvious elegance. The different wraps of the tube, too, have a role. So the carbon will give in the sport, the etched aluminum will make it in the chic, as for the wood stab, it will touch more to the fantasy.
The tube is intended to accommodate either 18650, or the new formats 21700 or 20700. It is closed by the bottom-cap which is screwed.
The top-cap is of sufficient diameter to accommodate atomizers up to 27mm without risk of overflow.
The fire button metal is of great quality, it is perfectly adjusted and therefore does not make any noise parasite. The Joystick, he is also at the top on this plan, no hitch.
The quality is as always at the rendezvous, no doubt it's high-end, so we pass without problem on the price when we discover, even if this style "massive" seems more basic than the usual lines. It is therefore less easy to make an analogy with my usual reference, the cars of the German firm Mercedes.
A product that inspires confidence and theoretically, with the legendary quality of Yihi chipset, we probably have a product at the top.
- Type of chipset used: Yihi SX485J
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short-circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, fixed overheat protection of atomizer resistors, variable overheat protection of atomizer resistors, temperature control of atomizer resistors , Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software, Adjusting the display brightness, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 26
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We already know, Yihi chipset are among the best and this version SX485J is not lacking the rule. Our new SX Mini SL includes all possible modes: Bypass, variable wattages, temperature control and TCR. Resistances between 0.05 and 3Ω will be used regardless of the mode used.
The variable power mode will allow you to vary power between 5 and 100W, knowing that you will only reach the maximum with a battery capable of supporting 35A discharge.
In temperature control mode, you will vary the heating value between 100 and 300 ° C and you will benefit from a protection against dry burn.
There is also a new mode, it limits the settings. It only offers variable power mode so we only have to set the desired wattage.
For temperature control the compatible cables are Ni200, SS316 and titanium.
The chipset is of course equipped with all the necessary security equipment. It is as always customizable via Yihi SXI-Q software, you can build your own puff power curve.
As I said before, you can use a choice of 18650 with the adapter provided, or these new standards 20700 or 21700 which obviously will give you more autonomy.
Everything is perfect, nothing is missing from this box, it is equipped with everything you need to perfectly fit the expectations of Vapotors of all kinds.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
We find the same sober and classy presentation, always so chic. For starters, SX Mini gratifies us as usual with the white glossy paper bag in the colors of the SX mini. Inside, our very simple looking white box is protected by a frosted plastic sleeve. Simplicity continues to dominate the debates, the inscriptions are reduced to the essential, that is to say the brand and the contents of the box.
Inside our box, the box is stuck in a foam, it is accompanied by a record translated into several languages including French and a rather nice USB cable.
SX mini is in the classic by adopting the codes of luxury brands to mark its position on the high end sector. The package flirts with the world of perfumes and more particularly Chanel who likes this kind of very refined codes.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple handkerchief
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The SL is compact enough to be practical in a nomadic way, which seems logical for a simple accu box. Its shape offers a good grip, the switch falls well under the index, this box is pleasant to use.
As for the settings, it's as always a little more complicated for those who have never used the SX Mini joystick. It is not complicated but it is necessary to appropriate this system, personally I am older school, two or three buttons maxi. We can even greet the novice mode that is activated simply by keeping left the joystick three seconds. This is the only order I would give you, you will discover the rest in the notice in French. The color TFT screen without being huge is clear and readable.
We can, as always, create the power profile of its own Puffs with SX Mini software available for free download on the site, this option allows you to program up to five profiles.
Autonomy is suitable for low power but if you go up in the towers plan several batteries.
In terms of the quality of the vape ... there is nothing to say, it's neat as always with Yihi, we vogue among the best.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The choice is vast there is nothing forbidden
- Description of the test configuration used: For my part, I used it with my Ares with 0.8Ω resistance
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: your ideal will probably be his
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
It is always a pleasure to have to test an SX Mini, it is beautiful, qualitative and it works very well.
So at first glance, I'll be honest, I was not seduced. The Chinese firm has accustomed me to more refined, more refined drawings. So this big tube attached to a fairly massive metal module, we will say that I found it a bit "rude".
But once in hand and looking at it more closely, we fall quickly under the spell of the qualitative aspect it releases. So once this design accepted and finally appreciated, I quickly started.
After a few small hesitations due to the system joystick, practical but I'm not very fan, the box was set and ready to fire.
And there, nothing to say, the electronics works perfectly, the vape is very pleasant, full and perfectly regulated. The most advanced can create the ideal puff profile with the software.
This box objectively has only one fault, the battery door is not practical because it is screwed but it is really surmountable.
As always SX Mini offers a good product, he won a Top Mod as usual I want to say. So yes, there is the price, 139 €, it looks expensive but it is really worth it. And if you take a minimum care, it will surely last a long time, certainly more than an identical box of a brand more low cost.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.