- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: HappeSmoke
- Price of the tested product: 69.90 €
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 € to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 220W
- Maximum voltage: 8.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The Switcher of Vaporesso offers a look of the robot type that we know as the "Transformer".
With a power of 220W, it accepts resistances from 0.05Ω up to 5Ω. Several modes of operation are proposed: the classic mode in variable power, the temperature control mode which keeps the same values common to most of the boxes with a range of variation which oscillates between 100 ° C and 315 ° C, the mode TCR you will allow you to choose and adjust your vape by setting the temperature coefficient of your resistive, as well as the By-pass mode that works as a mod mecha.
Certainly, the beast is his weight, equipped with two accumulators 18650, it is still the 295g. That said, its size remains more seductive. Classically sized, the look is worked to make the product fascinating. Okay, it's fascinating for boys because the style is based on one of the shapes worked, symmetrical, with play of colors and materials between black and anthracite, leather and steel, a very characteristic look animated robot movies. We are far from the pink Barbie and alluring curves.
Recharging the batteries can be done via a micro-USB cable provided. The OLED screen is beautiful, it has great visibility that gives the information in a larger format than the majority of boxes with a beautiful brightness. The switch is rather confusing at first, because it is positioned near the top-cap on the front of the box. That's a habit to take.
The top-cap offers an all-steel 510 connection in a super central 27mm deck to accept atomizers up to 28mm in diameter.
All security is assured and protection systems are integrated to limit the risk of incidents or damage to the equipment.
This product comes in several colors thanks to the optional interchangeable shell with red and blue LED.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30 x 49 (28 for the maximum diameter of the atomizer)
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88
- Product weight in grams: 295g
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box
- Decoration style: Robot type
- Quality of decoration: Excellent
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the front side near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Switcher is compact and ergonomic. Despite its weight it is comfortable in hand and very appreciable with its rounded shapes and beveled corners. This box is black with some anthracite parts in aluminum, stainless steel and leather. The body slides in an interchangeable open shell (optional) which is the side plates with an aggressive masculine style but particularly beautiful.
The brass pin is spring-mounted, it is centered on the top-cap to make the most of the room for the atomizer which offers a large diameter of 28mm.
On the front, the OLED screen is also centered, its size is appreciable since the visibility of the information is supported by a 23mm space width 30mm height.
Under this screen, three buttons are aligned. In the center of the button for access to the menu and, on each side, the buttons of settings which are perfectly in agreement with the box and very practical.
Just below these buttons, the opening to insert the micro-USB cable to recharge the box.
The switch is really wide, an elongated polygon. I admit having had trouble making me at the position of this switch and it took me a long time to adapt, because it is located on the front of the mod, just above the screen. Personally I'm not a fan but if you like the box, we get to do it.
Below, we have the hatch for inserting the batteries, easy to open and close, the hinge seems a little fragile but sufficient.
The Switcher offers a graphic appearance where everything is proportionate, with geometric shapes well drawn, straight and oblique, for an aesthetic balance. A nice product, powerful, to perfect its vape up to 220W.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the Current vape voltage, Current vape power display, Vape time display of each puff, Fixed overheat protection of atomizer resistors, Variable overheat protection of atomizer resistors, Control Atomizer Resistors Temperature, Display Brightness Setting, Clear Diagnostic Messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 28
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The main characteristics of the Switcher are:
- A totally interchangeable design, with its metal case that creates different looks since the shell is also available in red and blue and allows interaction with the atomizer in its "lighting effects" version.
- A safe and powerful Big-510 male top-cap that is very valuable for large diameter atomizers.
- The system of fast charge, 2,5A maximum via the micro-USB port.
- OMNI Board 2.6, easy navigation in the menu and possibilities such as:
The switch lock and adjustment buttons, the number of puffs, the high power protection function for small atomizers, the adjustment of the brightness of the screen, the clock function that appears when the box is paused and which comes in two different formats to be defined between the needle clock or the digital format including the date and the setting of the time of the standby according to the inactivity.
The different modes of vapes:
- Power mode (High, Soft, Normal or CCW)
- Temperature control mode (Ni, SS, Ti)
- By-pass mode
- The TCR mode (M1 and M2)
Against short circuits, chipset overheating, voltage drop, resistance too low, battery low and more.
The Switcher is a powerful chipset that manages this box with maximum security, it offers several modes of vape and many settings. Some functions are simple, others more complex to manage. Be careful, however, because with a power of 220W maximum, it needs to be equipped with two 18650 batteries that allow a strong discharge current, greater than or equal to 25A.
Appreciations of the conditioning.
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is complete. In a thick cardboard box, there is the box with its Micro-USB cable. There is also a notice and a certificate of authenticity.
Below the box you will also find the code and serial number of the product or batch number.
I am pleased to note that the notice is in several languages, including French and that it is relatively well detailed.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The Switcher offers a beautiful screen that makes our life easier. Not only are the information easy to read but they are hierarchized effectively. So, its use is very simple. As with almost all boxes, to turn on / off you must quickly press the switch five times. For locking all keys, three quick presses will suffice.
Access to the menu is done by pressing the button three times in the center of the setting buttons. Then simply be guided by the information on the screen that offers ten possible options, or pass on the "set system" or exit the menu.
The ten options are:
1. High power, for a faster heating of the resistance.
2. Norm Power, for a classic vape.
3. Soft power, to vape on a progressive heating of the resistance.
4. Power CCW, this option allows you to set a few seconds, variable vape power during your suction.
5. The temperature control in SS.
6. The temperature control in Ni.
7. Temperature control in Ti.
These three temperature control modes provide access to a new page that allows you to set four parameters:
- TCR Set, to modify the temperature coefficient of the resistive used in the chosen material.
- Power Set, allows to set a power limit.
- CCT, to regulate its vape like the CCW (seen above).
- Lock / Unlock, can block the resistance value to avoid value variations between hot and cold resistance.
8. TCR M1, allows to program the value of the temperature coefficient of the selected resistive, other than those proposed.
9. TCR M2, allows a second programming of the value of the temperature coefficient of the resistive chosen, other than those proposed or the TCR M1.
10. By-pass, this option will allow you to vaper in the same way as a mechanical mod by inhibiting the chipset but keeping all the security.
To validate your choices, simply keep a long press on the central button for the menu, this is for navigation.
Side vape, there is nothing to say, the Switcher is responsive and fair, its vape offers a linear rendering and the correctness of the requested powers is accurate depending on the resistance achieved.
For ergonomics, we remain in a fairly common format, only the weight is slightly higher than most boxes in the market (not much), but we adapt well.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? An atomizer of good diameter between 25mm and 28mm not to mismatch with the charisma of the box.
- Description of the test configuration used: With Kyli atomizer in sub-ohm at 0.2Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: There are none in particular
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Rather manly, this Switcher has a gadget look that appeals to men, and yes, these gentlemen are great children, they like what is obvious, exit the girly.
Nevertheless, the Box remains very functional, simple to use with a logic menu, a nice screen visibility and very complete with all the functions that provide the final update of the chipset and that's good, the latter is not proposed.
Handle, it is a bit heavy, but its ergonomics offsets this detail, then aesthetically, it is superb and well made.
Side vape, again, it is a good product that can go up to 220W without blinking with exotic montages on suitable atomizers. The box has not heated too much at this maximum power but be careful, it is necessary to use adapted batteries that support this extraordinary vape.
Overall The Switcher Mod is a great product!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.