- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 58.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: 7.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
For all those who have lived the prehistory of the vape, Sigelei is a name that speaks!
Indeed, if the birth of this brand is lost in the night time of the cloud-makers, we owe him some legendary mods, like the ZMax, objects that made us dream even though they proposed to vape 15W and accepted resistances from 1.2Ω !!!! Well, of course, nowadays, it would not make anybody fantasize but, at a certain time, if you could not afford to pay you a Provari (RIP) whose weight price was equivalent to that of a new Rolls , it was the type of "tripant" gear that allowed us to make pretty clouds and participate in this extraordinary adventure of the development of the vape.
Then, a few darker years followed for the brand, which lost its leadership by releasing products that struggled to keep up with market trends and technological innovations.
Fortunately, this period is now behind Sigelei whose latest productions show that the Chinese manufacturer has taken the measure of the evolutions of the vape and offers products in total adequacy with the demand.
It is at this moment that the Swallowtail 75A is born, box displaying 77W on the meter, 18650 mono-battery and presenting a very particular aesthetic. It offers a traditional variable power mode and a comprehensive offer for the temperature control mode.
Proposed, in this version, around 59 €, it has in focus a certain competitor, the Joyetech Evic VTwo Mini, almost a standard in this level of range and this level of power. The fight will be tough because the champion has a good reliability and a love ribbon that does not weaken but the challenger, as we will see, is not devoid of assets, quite the contrary.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width and length of the product in mm: 35 x 44
- Product height in mm: 86
- Product weight in grams: 197.5
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Zinc alloy / Alu
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
If we had to stick to the simple aesthetic, the match would end with a knockout in the first round.
Indeed, where Joyetech plays the card of safety and sobriety by displaying a reassuring rectangular design but devoid of any artistic inclination, Sigelei strikes very hard by taking the risk of proposing a quasi-original and perfectly thought out form.
Beautiful to fall, the Swallowtail is all curves and voluptuous curves. The grip is simply divine and, even if its size is a (small) little more imposing, it wins the point by an unprecedented comfort of grip. There are no angular edges to upset the palm or the fingers, and the softness of the material, the granularity of the paint and the absence of angles lead to a very sensual touch. It has this ultimate elegance to be forgotten, by its featherweight and the total symbiosis between its shape and the palmar hollow.
But it does not count on a perfectly completed design that comes in three versions available, which correspond to three different rates. In the top of the basket, the main material will be stabilized wood that will offer a range of possible colors and the nobility of its material for major argument. Of course, the price will be high, higher than 140 €. In the mid-range, you will find a version in resin, available around 120 €, whose shine of the material and the multitude of the variations of colors available will be a perfect asset for those who wish to stand out. At the entry level, and this is the model we are talking about today, the beautiful offers an aluminum / zinc alloy and a granular and spotted finish, very successful, for a price of 59 € approximately.
In all cases, the three plates that are the top-cap, the bottom-cap and the facade comprising the control screen, are zinc / aluminum alloy whose shapes have been designed and molded to marry to perfection the curves of the body. If the colors may differ, the material is identical and therefore gives a visual identity common to the three versions of the collection. In all cases too, the chipset remains the same.
The control buttons, three in number, are metal and are perfectly up to the situation. Thus, the switch or buttons [+] and [-] are very well integrated in their respective slots, do not rattle and are very responsive, signaling a solid and straight click the support of your finger.
The Oled screen is very clear and all information is readable. I greet in passing the strong enough contrast that, even in outdoor use in full sun, visibility is not impaired.
The top-cap has a stainless steel plate to deposit your atomizer, whose deep grooves can, if necessary, convey the air atomizers that take their airflow through the connection. The positive pin, brass, is mounted spring whose voltage has been judiciously calibrated to oppose a certain resistance and thus prevent possible leakage to the inside of the box but still has the flexibility to install any type ato regardless of the length of their 510 connection.
The front panel, in addition to the control buttons, contains a micro-USB port for charging the battery. It also allows the possible upgrade of the chipset by a computer junction even if, for the moment, no upgrade seems available.
The bottom-cap has cooling vents to ventilate the chipset and maintain a good operating temperature. It also has a brass plug, to screw / unscrew, serving as access to put or remove the battery 18650 necessary. Even if I'm not a fan of this closing principle, I recognize that everything is well machined and we find immediately the beginning of the screw thread to close the hole of battery. A somewhat more generous thickness of material would probably avoid the "hardware" effect of the plug itself. However, it has slots for possible degassing in case of major problem.
The battery is positioned positive towards the bottom of the hole, the corresponding spring-mounted pole of which facilitates insertion and closing. The screw thread of the cap being very short, it validates this choice by an easy and fast handling.
The general finish of the object does not call any reproach and would be even up to the category superior. Even at a tariff content, at least in this version, it has an impression of strength and different adjustments are very well done, almost worthy of a high-end mod. Four visible torx screws separate the plates from the body, but their position seems to be part of the overall aesthetic. The devil, it is said, is in the details. Here, no wolf, it's clean!
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? Yes
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
A beautiful body is nothing if the engine that the team is not in unison. Imagine you're a three-cylinder in a Ferrari?
Users of 213 and other Fuchaï will not be disconcerted because the chipset of the Swallowtail is modeled on the same proven principles and features up-to-date features that have nothing to envy to the stars of the genre, even if they are much more Dear.
Thus, we have several modes of operation that Sigelei offers us:
The variable power mode:
This is a very traditional mode that operates between 10W and 77W on a resistance scale between 0.1 and 3Ω just like the temperature control mode. The power is incremented or decremented by one-tenth of a watt and, when you press and hold the [+] button or the [-] button, the numbers move by rather quickly. The maximum output voltage is 7.5V and the intensity of 28A, which is very comfortable and I recommend the use of a battery to reach peak value.
The temperature control mode:
This mode gives access to several types of resistive wire already implemented in the chipset. So we have the traditional NI200, titanium and three stainless steel: 304, 316L and 317L. A nice panoply, therefore, that will allow you to face the majority of possible situations ...
... and if that were not the case and you are in love with NiFe or Ni80, Nichrome, Kanthal or why not money, you can also use these wires in temperature control by implementing your own coefficient of heating, nowadays easy to find on the forums or blogs, on the five available memories devolved for this purpose in the mode TCR.
This mode a little less widespread than the previous ones begins to make speak well of him because, derived from the mode TCR, it refines them however the settings in order to profit from an increased precision of the control of temperature. We know that temperature affects the resistance of a wire and its heating coefficient. This is why it is advisable to calibrate the resistance of a cold atomizer when used in temperature control mode. The TFR mode takes this into account and proposes to implement not only a single heating coefficient but five, according to pre-established temperatures: 100 °, 150 °, 200 °, 250 ° and 300 °. Thus, your box is ready to recalculate the voltage necessary to send regardless of the temperature reached by the coil. The temperature control becomes thus total and of a great precision.
Beyond these many and complete modes, we also have a pre-heat function which is therefore, on a delay between 0.1 and 9.99s, to program a different power so as to boost a little diesel assembly by printing for example 5W of more during 1s or to calm a very reactive montage so as to avoid a dry-hit until the capillarity is perfectly primed by putting 3W less during 0.5s. This feature is valuable and really useful in the vape of everyday life. A slight excess of zeal has pushed Sigelei to pre-program an ultra-long 9.99s delay while the cut-off is 10s, probably thinking that some would like to enjoy a hundredth of a second of the displayed power .... 😉 Well, who can the more can the least so we will not raise ... ^^
The ergonomics of the Swallowtail have been particularly worked and we tame the box in a few minutes:
- Five clicks switch the box on or off.
- Three clicks allow access to different modes. Then, just let yourself be guided.
- Simultaneous pressing on the [+] and the switch gives access to the settings of the pre-heat, simple.
- Simultaneous pressing on the [-] and the switch will lock the adjustment knobs. Ditto for unlocking.
- In the temperature control mode, pressing [+] and [-] at the same time gives access to the resistance calibration. A parameter allowing you to read this value (Read), another allowing you to lock it (Lock) on the value previously read by the box. I remind you that a resistance calibration is done when the coil is at room temperature, ie when the atomizer has not been used for a few minutes.
It remains for me to say that you can also enter the parameters of your vape by computer (and so take advantage of future upgrades) using the available software here for WIndows et here for Mac. You can also consult the installation instructions and the instructions for use of the software. here for Windows et here for Mac.
The display shows the operating power or temperature, the resistance of your coil, the voltage delivered, the voltage remaining in the battery, the output current and a bargraph indicating the charge level of the battery.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? We make fun of us!
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 0.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Well, it needed a flaw in this idyllic picture and it is here.
The packaging is needy.
Beyond the acrylic box that protects nothing, we find the box, still happy, but that's it. No USB / micro USB cable, a quasi-first to my knowledge. And not the least way to use! Find out for yourself, this is the meaning of the signal given by Sigelei with this packaging in the shape of a foutage mouth!
As I feel in a friendly mood, you will be able to download here the textbook (of which one of the proposed translations is in French medium level kindergarten section).
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
After this cold shower concerning a packaging that we would like more substantial in the future, we still have happiness ...
In both variable power mode and temperature control mode, the box behaves in a royal way! If ergonomics, as we have seen, greatly simplifies the use, it is above all the quality of the rendering that tape.
The vape is precise and powerful. Moreover, one feels, in comparison with other boxs of the same category, a power slightly higher than the norm. The smoothing of the signal is perfect and its total control. The calculation algorithms programmed by the firm are nickels and the chipset is a dream. Reliable, constant regardless of the charge of the battery, there is no fault on its behavior, regardless of the type and resistance of the coil you use.
The autonomy remains correct, probably slightly lower than the identical battery competition.
But the aesthetic compromise / size / weight / performance / autonomy remains one of the best I have seen at this price level.
This is, for me, a real stroke of heart and reason.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer whose diameter does not exceed 25mm will be welcome
- Description of the test configuration used: Unimax, Saturn, Taifun GT3 and various liquids
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: An atomizer in 22 not too high, for the look. A mini Conqueror for example.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Perfection does not exist, I see it every morning while shaving. But still, some approach it and it's boring!
Sigelei hit very hard with a beautiful, powerful, inexpensive Swallowtail with a precise, powerful and deviously addictive rendering! Apart from the necessary reproach regarding the packaging (shit, guys, you have not insured!), I see nothing here that can obscure the perfect panorama of vape that offers us this product, a real UFO in the current production.
Far from the tense and aggressive lines that are legions at this time among Chinese manufacturers, the Swallowtail imposes its callipyge beauty and physical pleasure. But it is at the time of the vape test that everyone is silent because Sigelei is better than competing with the mid-range mod market benchmarks. And the other manufacturers, who have the wind in their sails right now, may well be concerned.
Top mod, of course, for this atypical object and yet thoroughly in the race.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.