- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Tech Vapeur
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 50 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.3
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Kangertech is on all fronts! The Chinese brand has attacked very hard this year with the series of subtanks that has changed the market at the level of clearomizers or the Kbox which, combining simplicity and efficiency, has won the first novice vapoteurs. 2015 is the year Kanger!
Also, the manufacturer arrives today on the market with a complete kit at a floor price. Indeed, for less than 80 €, you have the mod and the ato. We will not return here on the Subtank mini delivered in the kit because we have already reviewed it on the site, even if this second version arrives equipped with a new RBA better thought because pierced with two holes of admission of liquids and of which the airflow ring has been improved. We will devote ourselves to the analysis of the Subox, nice little box here in its black edition, which also exists in white version.
Obviously, this kit was developed to hunt on the grounds of the Evic VT and the brand put the package on the look to compete with the beautiful body of its competitor. No problem on the other hand for the atomizer, it was enough to Kanger to take a Subtank Mini, improve it a little, to match the color level at the box to have a perfect set-up.
Perfect? Maybe not ... By capitalizing on the fame of its flagship clearomizer, the Chinese giant has certainly reduced the costs of research and development but may have neglected an essential parameter that we will see below.
Do not forget in any case that this is a kit even if we will focus on the new element of this set, namely the box. Because to keep this in mind will allow you to easily understand or lies the tender trap of this wonderful kit.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 22.2
- Product Length or Height in mms: 82.2
- Product weight in grams: 153.8
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
WARNING: I indicated "aluminum" by default in the choice of our protocol but it is really a zinc alloy, die-cast. The fact of being able to mold the zinc makes it possible to obtain more complex forms and the roundings of the Subox profit largely from this method. The black ceramic finish is splendid, I confess I do not know if it will hold well in case of shock, but it is soft in hand with a nice skin touch peach.
The general shape is very sexy. We actually have a small box, light enough and with a splendid finish. In addition, the touch-feeling is fantastic, between the rounded rectangular shape and the softness of the coating.
The magnetic cover, which serves as an access door to the 18650 battery (not supplied), is a total success. Not only does it not move when closed, but its operating principle is totally innovative since it is located, not at the back of the box as usual, but on the side opposite to the set screen more buttons. It's simple as hello but you had to think about it. In use, it's very user-friendly.
The switch buttons, plus and minus, are red plastic and are for many in the aesthetic success of this Black Edition. I regret however that their size is more suitable for little fingers than big ones. Indeed, even the switch is quite small. However, it is done quickly and its comfort of use is in the good average. The other plus and minus buttons are tiny and will remind the older interface buttons of a Lavatube. But as their position is clear in space and they are well in relief, they pose no problem of use. In short, a very qualitative feeling for a beautiful object.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? No, a flush mount can only be guaranteed through an adjustment of the positive atomizer pad if it allows it
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of current vape power, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The SUBOX comes loaded with protections of all kinds. In addition to those enumerated above, there is also a temperature probe that will stop the mod if the PCB (chipset) exceeds a normal operating temperature. There is also an interesting function that will warn you when the discharge capacity of the battery is damaged by your settings by flashing the charge indicator. In this regard, Kangertech recommends the use of a battery that can deliver at least 20A in constant value.
The lock mode is standard. 5 quick clicks on the switch are enough to turn off or turn on the box. Simultaneously pressing the plus and minus buttons allows the screen to be inverted to match your vape positional habits. The voltage is indicated in real time when you are steaming.
To increase or decrease the power, Kanger has bet on an ingenious principle. If you press and hold, you increment or decrement the step power of 0.1W. If you press and hold to go up or down faster, the system will skim the power level of 0.1W up to the next lower or upper ten, and then in increments of 1W to get faster to the desired power. In use, it is precise and simple even if we knew faster.
I come now to the trap that I mentioned to you at the beginning of the review.
Indeed, as you have probably noted, the 510 connection is not adjustable. By no means. I searched, I did not find anything that could solve it. There is a hole on the battery cradle in which I managed to enter a Philips screwdriver and that corresponds to a screw. But although I turned this screw in all directions, it does not vary the height of the connection. Niet! Nada!
And there lies the trap. Indeed, I tried an Origen Genesis V2, he does not take it, too short young man ... I tried an Expromiser, which goes everywhere in general because of its connection on spring, it does not take it either. Ditto for almost all drippers in my possession. In desperation, I installed a Taifun Gt for testing by unscrewing its adjustable connection and there it worked.
So, it appears here that this kit is supposed to work together. Namely, there is no problem to recognize the Subtank Mini (still happy) and as the kit is sold inseparable, you're just not supposed to put another atomizer. Besides, the mark specifies well in its communication: Starter Kit. It is therefore a starter kit. The message is clear: confirmed vaper, walk in the shade and go elsewhere. Obviously, you can put an atomizer d moment or it will have the required connection depth or if the positive pin is adjustable. Otherwise, use Subtank, period.
But I do not agree. For several reasons:
- First of all, after the proprietary resistance or the owner accusations, here come the mods owners ... Super! The freedom of the vapers takes a little more. As long as Aspire, Taifun, Svoemesto and others do the same, the set-up will start to come back expensive if you need a different mod atomizer! You, I do not know, but I like to decide with what I vape, both ato and mod. And if I want to put an Origen on the SUBOX, I want to be able to do it. I paid for!
- This kit is stamped "starter kit" or starter kit. Take the test: take this kit, put a liquid 12mg (it must be for a beginner!) And have your guinea pig, even 10W. He will choke and curse you and your offspring for thirty generations. We know very well that when you start, you need a higher nicotine level. We also know that even with a very small set-up set very low, the consenting victim will first find the steam difficult to swallow, cough and choke, we have all been there. And here, Kanger offers us a beautiful kit for beginners, in sub-ohm, who sends his mother and his grandmother and makes a steam of all the devils ... is it relevant or is it to make us swallow the pill of setting absent?
- The Subox is the first box in the recent generation not to benefit from an adjustable connection. This means that Kangertech is not aware of the realities of the market, which you will allow me to doubt. Either Kangertech has decided to skip this essential feature to force consumers to use Kanger with Kanger. And I find that very limited as a way of proceeding.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
As usual, the manufacturer delivers us a high-flying package that contains everything to use the two parts of the kit in good conditions. Japanese cotton, extra resistance, RBA plateau ... and more. There is nothing to blame packaging that is itself a reference.
We are even entitled to a complete bilingual notice in both English and French. Although French is more "Googlien" than "Hugolien", I welcome this initiative which should be more widespread.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, the Subox does not disappoint. The rendering of vape is very good. There is no latency between the moment one switches and the crackling of the resistance and the vape is very pleasant. Neither too aggressive nor sluggish. Of course, the box accepts higher resistances (As long as you have an atomizer that works on this damn connection, I know, I do not loose my bone easily ... 😈) to operate the Subtank with the RBA board. Kangertech however specifies that from 1.6Ω, it will be impossible to reach the 50W. The intensity that the Subox can output is limited to 12A and its maximum voltage to 9V. Lovers of high resistance (there is still!) Will not be delighted with the news. But remember that this box is called SUBox. The message is clear enough.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? In sub-ohm assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The Subtank.
- Description of the test configuration used: Subox + Taifun Gt, + Subtank.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: It is already in the box ....
was the product liked by the reviewer: No
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The rating is severe, I agree and I apologize to the fans of Subtank. I explained to you why this box did not suit me: the "programmed" absence of an adjustable 510 connection is in my opinion more of the commercial maneuver than the involuntary oblivion and this method does not please me. That does not mean you have to be of my opinion. Indeed, if we use the kit as it is, we have here a perfect set. The cohesion between Subtank and Subox is total, an osmosis both aesthetic and technical that can only delight fans of this type of vape.
The sensuality of the form, the beauty of the finish, the design and the good rendering of the vape are all strengths that can not be neglected. No more than the protections implemented which make it a secure object.
This seductive set will please a lot, used as is, for what it is and not for what it is not. This is its greatest quality, especially at this price, and its biggest defect since it will put on the sidelines a lot of atomizers and admit that it's a pity ...
Objectively, this is an excellent kit. Subjectively, you already know my position ... 😉
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.