- Sponsor who loaned the product for the magazine: Acquired on our own funds
- Price of the tested product: 79 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75W
- Maximum voltage: 6V
- Minimum resistance value for a start: 0.15Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
We can be a geek vapoteur and love the beautiful, we all know, we who share an immoderate passion for the demolding of clouds.
Squares, tubular, futuristic, tactile, classic, plump or even penguin-shaped, the mods attract us as honey attracts bears and as I exert an embarrassing fascination on my neighbor's landing is as bearded as me. Of course, all this follows rational parameters, at least it is that we feel obliged to explain to our half at the time of the purchase: it vapes better, it is more reliable, there is more than autonomy ... in short, all the usual salamalecs to justify the fact that it will still be necessary, for the second time this month, to scour the restaurant post of the family budget.
But since we are between us, the real reasons, primal, instinctive and compulsive reside in this quasi-Newtonian gravitation that we face the novelty or the look ... The Aphone 8 will be better than the 7? Will he phone better? Will it take better pictures? Will it allow us to connect to Facebook faster? What does it matter! In the trash 7, I need the 8! And a point that's all! It is the same ? I stamp the shells, the 8 is necessarily better since it is the 8!
It is with this in mind that I am going to talk about my last purchase. I will not make you an affront to tell you that it is better than the previous one or that it is revolutionary and I will spare you therefore, friend reader, the usual salads that I sell to my half to justify that it will be necessary that I buy a new mod shelf above the desk because the previous one is full.
Vapeman is a brand of 5Makers, a Chinese company based in Shenzen since 2014 whose catalog has as many references as a supermarket of the Soviet era. Two mods are fighting duel, no atomizer, an international reputation close to that of the Under-Secretary of State for Okapi rights in Botswana, it is not really a brand that inspires trust and whose name is thrown in the face of your best competitor in the vaporo branchouille or it is good show that we spent the Joyetech stadium for a long time.
And yet, as a beautiful flower sometimes grows on an incongruous path of sand and pebbles, this brand is the Steam Engine, box-mod that we are going to talk about today. A kind of gold nugget in the middle of a pond. A UFO…
Presenting a very particular style which we will go around a little further down, the Steam Engine, the steam locomotive in French in the text, is powered by a DNA75, a powerful chipset, well-known and well-known by everyone. It is offered at a rate of 79 €, corresponding to a meal with the children at MacDo the corner, including ice cream, my third sandwich and the exit to the zoo where the youngest put you shame screaming in fear before the giraffe. Seen from this angle, I feel interested ...
But its supreme peculiarity is that it is beautiful! Rather Captain Nemo than Captain Marvel, a wonder directly from the wreck of the Nautilus and I'm not talking about the atomizer ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 355
- Materials composing the product: Zinc Alloy, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Taratata ... I see you coming. You are imagining that the Steam Engine is a Pico-style micro box that will fit everywhere and fits in the palm of your hand, at least. What nenni! It is a beautiful baby over 350gr once the batteries put, which also contains two and whose dimensions, without being exaggerated, the position as a mod of an average size in the category.
Aesthetically, I let you admire the photos taken with my Aphone 8, I think they speak for themselves. We have here a mod quite in the so-called Steampunk or Neo-Vintage movement, not very well represented finally in the current panorama if we except the hexagonal productions of Pro-MS and some mods here and there which are inspired by it. Here, it is in the same vein, but rather with this rare elegance of a small box of pirate or hides a compass in gold.
Built around a zinc alloy architecture, material massively used in the vast majority of industrial production because of its ability to be molded and a high enough resistance to shocks, the Steam Engine is covered with leather for a sensual pleasure, in both hands and pupils. This is real leather, I want to clarify, and not an umpteenth petrochemical imitation. I will not go so far as to tell you the animal supplier of this material, perhaps the giraffe of the zoo?
The leather is piped as it should with a thread of the same color that adds a touch of classy authenticity to the box and the logo "Vapeman" manufacturer was stamped on the edge opposite the screen. Elegant with attention to detail, the leather supports bands of metal bronze and copper, which seem as riveted in leather (but this is only an illusion) and add the famous Steampunk aspect of which I spoke to you more above.
The switch and the interface buttons, metallic, naturally take their place and stand out by borrowing the coppery hue of the rivets. It's totally successful from the strict point of view of design. From an ergonomic point of view, we can blame the three buttons move in their respective locations and they click a little when you move the box. Not yet having Parkinson's disease, that does not bother me too much but more attention could have been paid to this point. On the other hand, the buttons are reactive and pleasant to use.
The OLED screen is typical of the productions of Evolv, the creator of the DNA75, and will not change your habits. It is classic, clear, informative and seems topped by a rounded glass that is sometimes a magnifying effect rather curious but very in the general design perspective.
The top-cap has now a classic platinum equipped with a spring 510 connection whose positive pin is brass. This deck is wide and will allow you to accommodate, without this makes your set-up deformed, an atomizer with a diameter up to 27mm, which opens a wealth of possibilities. A golden and short atomizer would be a plus, to complete the whole and stay in the aesthetic spirit. I stuck a Saturn and I must admit that I remained in self-admiration a few minutes ...
The bottom-cap traditionally hosts a battery-operated flap on slide, which is easily removed and recovered once the handling is well integrated, nothing wizard. The accusers inserted themselves without problem, even when they were "skinned". Both must be installed at the negative pole down the device. No head-to-tail here. To conclude, there are three vents of modest dimensions that seem to be there only to ensure a possible degassing and not to provide the cooling of the chipset, given their position. But, as the Steam Engine does not have any features that predestinate it to an overpowering vape, it seems consistent.
To finish with this physical overview, I have to tell you that after three weeks of use, the box feels good leather and metal and that the bottom-cap patina a little at places in contacts with the surfaces where it arises. The leather ages a little but is resistant to splashing liquids and the whole seems to follow a rather nice aging process. Strongly that the leather is cracking a little! And yes, we are in the world of Nemo here, not at Ikea ...
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the personalization of its behavior by external software, Adjustment of the display brightness, Messages of clear diagnosis
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 27
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Steam Engine being powered by a DNA75, you will not be surprised if you know this chipset well. Reliable in variable power and temperature control, it is a companion careful to provide you a vape accurate, full of sensations, which allow you a very focused on the detail of the flavors.
Customizable in very large proportions using the software Write and by training a little, you can then adapt the behavior of the box to your every wish, both graphical by changing logos and texts, and electronic by influencing the various possibilities of curvature of the signal or implementation of son resistive.
For the rest, there is no news, we are on a well known and reliable engine. Your box will be as good as a Therion or a Jac Vapor, an Elfin, a HCigar, in short, all boxes that already use, to the delight of their users, one of the most widespread chipsets in the world . I will not go into the barren guéguerre to know who, Yihi, Evolv or machintruc, makes the best chipsets. I leave this to your appreciation. Personally, I try to move forward without preconceptions and, being a regular user of DNA, I must admit that I have never been slowed down in my vape. This does not prevent me from also appreciate the other manufacturers of smart cards!
We find the ergonomics and the gesture now classic that can work on the mod itself. 5 clicks offer you the clutch or the clutch of the stand-by. Simultaneous pressing of the [+] and [-] buttons locks and unlocks the programmed power or temperature. In stand-by mode, pressing the switch and the [-] button activates or deactivates the screen (normal or stealth) when firing. In the same mode, pressing the switch and the [+] button will block the resistance taken into account. Still in stand-by, a long press on the [+] and [-] buttons activates the temperature control mode.
As usual, we find a usable power scale between 1 and 75W, an output voltage between 0.2 and 6.2V, a maximum possible intensity of 40A and your mod will start working from 0.15Ω. Take care to avoid damaged batteries, those whose name ends with "fire" which immediately announce the color and choose batteries delivering a peak intensity around 30A to be comfortable and without risk.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Yes, a packaging that lives up to the situation!
A good rigid card blooming good the beginning of 20st century welcomes your box in a strong thermoformed foam that will absorb all the shocks, a USB / Micro USB cable that I would have liked less anonymous and a small burlap bag that completes the endowment.
A notice in English is provided and details with sufficient precision the first aid gestures to use your box quickly. To go further, it will be necessary to refer to the specific literature of Evolv for the control of the chipset and the personalization software. The forums can also help you in your quest for the absolute vape by demystifying a little the methodology of many and varied actions.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
With a mod of this type, it is still difficult not to be on a cloud, if I dare say so, during use.
First, the look reveals the passions and inevitably, the eyes of other vapers linger on the Steam Engine. Then, no electronic anomaly disturbs your peace of mind, the engine is of a foolproof reliability and fully assumes the role of coal in the cargo hold to make your coils blush.
The Steam Engine is a box easy to live and enjoying a good autonomy. By lowering the cut-off voltage around 2.7V (by Escribe), which remains good for IMR batteries, there is plenty of peace of mind and enough energy to turn a day around 40W.
The rendering is up to the reputation of the chipset, accurate in the transcription of aromas and providing a signal quite capable of providing at the same time the necessary density and the desired accuracy. A perfect medium for lovers of taste above all.
The micro USB socket will allow you to charge your batteries in situ nomad mode even if I advise you, for everyday use, a traditional charger, more able to spare the life of your batteries along the length.
The comfort of handling is appreciable and the massive presence of leather an essential asset for unparalleled visual and tactile sensuality. It is nice to say but the nobility of some materials, whether metallic, mineral or organic, is a more obvious in the user experience.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any device less than 27mm in diameter, which does not hurt ...
- Description of the test configuration used: The Flave, Tsunami 24, Kayfun V5, Taifun GT3
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A good golden RTA
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Astronaut fans fans of Méliès, aficionados of Jules Vernes, bikers survivors of Sons Of Anarchy, I urge you to look into the subject if you are considering the purchase of an original box by its sober class and vintage look outdated but timeless .
Of course, such an object deserves and it will be necessary chercher to find your beautiful because, to my surprise and unless I'm mistaken on my part, European wholesalers seem to have made the impasse on the import of the Steam Engine in our chilly country. If you do not find, however, I invite you to put on your best diving suit and try to search the wreck of the Titanic, there must be some that remain ...
A beautiful personal meeting with this box who became my companion everyday (yes, I am a ruler, I tell my life, it's swag!) and that I can only advise you if you are fond of beautiful objects in addition to being vaping. These two qualities will probably not ensure you a gain in the next lottery but they force my respect ;-).
To close the chapter in beauty, I draw an indisputable Top Mod for an incomparable object.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.