- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: vapexperience
- Price of the tested product: 39.9 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Entry level (from 1 to 40 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 50 watts
- Maximum voltage: 4.35
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The SPD A5 is a small box incorporating a temperature limiter. Compact and simple to use it rises up to 50 watts, however, be careful to use batteries that can provide more than 20 amps. It is perfectly affordable since it is at the entry level. The coating is nice and non-slip and its OLED screen and comfortable.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Product Width or Diameter in mms: 23 X 40
- Product Length or Height in mms: 83
- Product weight in grams: 83
- Material composing the product: aluminum alloy and polycarbonate
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Its first features are its size and weight since it is relatively small for a box providing up to 50 watts. It is discreet and its coating is very nice. The streaks allow a good grip and prevents it from slipping.
Inserting the battery is easy, no need for a screwdriver, a small hood slides to place or remove your battery. You can also charge it via a USB plug provided.
Neither too soft nor too firm, the spring pin allows a flush mounting with the atomizer. In order to dissipate the heat, a hole is planned, a little small I find this hole much too weak and insufficient.
The three fixing screws on this box are very small, discreet and well integrated, nothing exceeds. A good finish and an impeccable assembly take care of the look of this box which is not totally rectangular with beveled corners.
Despite the lack of grace of its design, it has a robust and functional look in its small format with an aluminum frame and polycarbonate top cap. The bottom of the box with the cover for the location of the battery is also polycarbonate and this is the only small weakness that I could blame him, because I fear that it becomes fragile in the long run.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Mini-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The power of vape can vary between 5 and 50 Watts, and the resistances accepted by SPD A5, vary between 0.1Ω and 3Ω
The pin is spring loaded for flush mounting, the battery is rechargeable via a USB plug or interchangeable.
This box is protected from short circuits and in case of overheating.
As soon as you mount your atomizer, the box automatically detects the value of the resistance. She asks you if it's a new coil. By pressing the "+" you confirm YES, by pressing "-" you confirm NO
In 5 clicks on the switch, you activate the box.
For the settings:
- A long press on "+" and "-": the temperature mode is displayed (hold to change temperature) and it is enough to raise or lower this value. pass 350 ° C the box displays OFF to indicate that it cuts the limitation.
For other settings, the SPD A5 must be blocked (5 clicks on the switch):
- A long press on the "switch" and "+": it offers you to rotate the display of the screen (Right mode), you have to stay pressed for it to be effective.
- A long press on the "switch" and "-": it offers you to turn off the display of the screen (Stealth mode), you must stay pressed for it to be effective.
- A prolonged press on "+" and "-": proposes to you to pass on the display of the temperature in degree Fahrenheit, it is necessary to remain supported so that it is effective.
Check atomizer : it does not detect atomizer
Atomizer shorts : the resistance is not within the range of the box parameters (between 0.1Ω and 3Ω)
Weak battery : your battery is not suitable for your box which requires an amperage of more than 20A
Device too hot : device too hot, you will have to wait until your resistance cools to vape again
The screen is an Oled 0.91 screen "perfectly clear. First, a battery is displayed that represents the charge level of your battery. Then we have on the same column, the value of the resistance, the voltage and the temperature limit if it is active. Then very big, the power to which you steam.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The conditioning is very pretty, as usual it is "EHPRO".
In a box very rigid cardboard box we discover the box, a USB connection cable (between the box and a computer) and a notice only in English. The authenticity of the product is stuck on the edge of the box with a QR code.
On the back of the box are some precautionary tips and the importance of some information.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
It is rather easy to use, but I regret that the settings are done before vape since most are done by disabling the box (5 clicks on the switch).
Its size is an undeniable asset for transport. The coating is comfortable and does not mark fingerprints.
The temperature control on this box is more of a temperature limiter because you can not regulate the temperature by steaming. You will consume power and if the temperature you have previously set is reached, the box turns off the power.
In fact it is up to you to control your power so that the temperature does not rise too high, so it allows you to put a limit on the heat reached by the coil.
In addition, this limitation is only used when using 200 nickel resistive wire. With Kanthal (or other material) I do not recommend activating this temperature mode. Indeed, it is useless, since it is intended for nickel (only) while the other son have a different coefficient and variation caused by heat, and are not calculated by the chipset since it does not detect the material .
At the level of the vape, the restitution of the power and the tension is perfect, no erratic behavior with a constant vape on very low values of resistance as on the highest ones. However, with the use of nickel resistors, be careful not to leave the box too close to a heater to keep a balance on the coefficient provided by the chipset, because it is not adjustable.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A classic fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm mounting, Rebuildable Genesis type metal mesh mount, Rebuildable Genesis type metal wick mount
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? all up to 23mm in diameter
- Description of the test configuration used: in sub-ohm with a Bilow V2 atomizer
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: there is not really any
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The SPD A5 is a good box that gives a constant vape power, with excellent 50 W capability, by accepting 0.1Ω's honorable resistance values. It is very easy to use and its look is rather ordinary. On the other hand it has a small size that allows a good maintenance.
That being the case, I regret that it is considered a box with temperature control, which is incorrect. It simply limits the temperature previously programmed by the user to prevent vapping with too hot coils. This temperature mode is valid only with 200 nickel resistors.
This is a great product for those who want to go the extra mile by testing Nickel resistors and use this type of vape from time to time but not regularly.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.