- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Heaven Gifts
- Price of the tested product: 49.90 Euros only, 59.95 Euros in kit with the Snake Sub
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 50 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Place today in Wotofo on the test bench or torture according to the point of view. The Chinese manufacturer recently became famous with rebuildable atomisers or not has been trying for some time to make boxes to expand its offer. So we will test the Serpent 50W which is the entry level.
Owner LiPo battery, embedded 2000mAh, good sympathetic and measured size, it seems destined, especially if we observe the contents of the kit that embeds a sniffer clearomizer Sub-ohm beginners / intermediates who take a decisive step towards a more generous vape and air .
Available in five colors: Gray, Green, Red, Blue and Black, the small is offered at a serious price of 49.90 € solo or 59.95 € kit. In correlation with the maximum power displayed 50W, we are on a box that will have to prove itself in terms of value for money in the face of competition rather well provided in the field and less expensive.
In this review, we will put forward the box and make a small insert on the clearomiser kit at the end of the review to be completely exhaustive with respect to the two proposals.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 24.8
- Product Length or Height in mm: 54.8
- Product weight in grams: 107.6
- Material composing the product: Aluminum alloy
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
And it starts pretty well with a serious presentation and honest. Aesthetically, the Serpent box is located at the confluence of micro box Mini Volt boxes and box mini Pico type. The size is measured but allows to ship a LiPo 2000mAh battery that seems to me to be the maximum of what can be put in this type of container.
Built on an aluminum alloy frame, the box is covered with a satin coating, pleasant in hand but sometimes struggling to camouflage some molding streaks, especially on the flare on the ato side.
The Oled screen, small in size necessarily, but legible, takes place on the top of the box, next to the atomizer and, if we can consider that this place is not the most protected in case of leaks, we can also admit that the visibility is accentuated.
The switch and buttons [+] and [-] take place on the edge of the mod, joined by a silver edging that is not without evoking crop circles. In plastic, these buttons are effective, are not rickety in their locations and do their job without complaining. The switch is normally responsive, falls easily under the finger and does not require significant pressure to fire.
No visible vents on the box, so we are right to imagine that the manufacturer has missed an indispensable safety device or he has managed to convey the flow of internal air through the micro port -USB recharge, located under the buttons. In the absence of certainty, I give the product a chance.
Aesthetically, the mod presents well, is sexy enough by its size and its correct finish. The grip is nice, rather intended for palm attributes quite small and can be perfect for female hands.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Display of current vape voltage, Display of current vape power , Atomizer Resistor Temperature Control, Clear Diagnostic Messages
- Compatibility accus: LiPo
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the power output at full charge of the battery: Bad, there is a big difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Bad, there is a big difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 1.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Wotofo worked seriously around the features of the Serpent box. It offers a traditional variable power mode but also a complete temperature control mode that allows you to work with Ni200, titanium and SS316 mountings. The mode also allows adjustment of the TCR, so you can implement your particular resistive son like NiFe and other rarities.
In variable power mode, the Serpent Box offers a range from 7 to 50W, on a scale of allowable resistances between 0.1 and 3Ω.
In temperature control mode, we will go from 100 to 315 ° C on resistors between 0.1 and 1Ω.
Charging the owner's battery can only be done through the micro-Usb port but this action will deprive you of vape during the duration of the load because we can not use the mod during this time. Too bad, it is however widespread and appreciable for those who are vaping in front of their computers.
The proposed autonomy seems consistent with the purpose and power of the mod even if you and I know that we do not go very far with 2000mAh especially if we play with clearomiseurs rather demanding because low in resistance, as it is the case with the Snake Sub provided in the kit.
Ergonomics is well thought out. In addition to the "five clicks" that allows the power on and off the box, we have a menu access grid very easy to memorize.
In fact, a simultaneous pressing of the [+] and [-] buttons makes it possible to freeze the chosen value, in watt or in degree, so as not to have untimely disturbances.
A combined press of the switch and the [+] button brings you into the mode selection menu. Here, you can choose the power mode, or one of the four temperature control modes available. We validate by the switch and go!
In the temperature control mode, you can not adjust the power directly. On the other hand, the box will take into account the power calibrated on a variable power mode used previously. My advice is to turn the power up (50W) in variable power mode and then choose the temperature control mode that suits you.
Pressing the [-] button and the switch allows the screen to be turned over so that it is easier to locate according to how you are steaming with your index finger or thumb.
The Serpent Box is equipped with the usual protections, does not support the firmware upgrade and abstains from more advanced features or gadgets. She intends to do her job, which is exactly what she is asked to do.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A white cardboard box offers the box and a micro-USB / USB cord for charging. An English record is provided and makes the quick tour of the features. No superfluous literature, it is straightforward but the language used may be a brake for some.
In the kit version, there is also the Snake Sub clearomizer, a spare pyrex and two resistors supplied. An additional notice appears. More seductive, it compensates for the English language by an accumulation of rather meaningful photos.
In both cases, I found the packages a size quite disproportionate to the content. In the same space, we could have put a triple battery box and a rebuildable 23! Strange ...
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
As the Latin proverb says, "there is a long way to go" and we know that the best intentions do not necessarily make a success. This is unfortunately the case here.
The chipset, including the features of the product but also the calculation algorithms needed for a controlled signal, is a terrible masquerade. What wonders who could create such an indigent engine in our period when brands compete to offer chipsets always more powerful and interesting.
Indeed, to put it simply, the box does not send anything. Totally asthmatic, she is struggling in all areas of the game and NEVER delivers the power displayed. If you're wondering how to push a Nautilus X to 30W without having a dry-hit, this is the box you need! Indeed, 30W on this atomizer, it is roughly equivalent to a normal box 13W ... Same for all other atomizers of course. I would also be surprised if the box could send more 25 real watts finality.
Suffice to say that the rendering is anemic and is far from meeting the standards currently in vogue. The only possible use of this box will be limited to very good clearomisers made to draw around 13 / 15W that you can power up the variable power around 30W minimum. Under no circumstances, of course, will you have the power to power the Serpent Sub ato provided with the kit.
I'm not afraid to say, the Serpent Box is catastrophic in use because of this and seems far removed from the economic realities by offering a quality / price ratio for the blow completely disconnected from reality. 50 € for that ... it's just not serious.
The temperature control mode follows the movement logically. If the calculations are bad for power, why would they be good in this mode?
For the rest, that's fine. No erratic behavior, it would not miss more than that, no heat, which seems normal given the power delivered.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A classic fiber, In sub-ohm mounting
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A clearomizer that is not very demanding in terms of power
- Description of the test configuration used: Serpent Sub-ohm tank, Taifun GT3, Nautilus X
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: In the box ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: No
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 2.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The balance sheet is without appeal. So pretty, well built, well finished or decorated as it is, a box is primarily a tool that must be used to vow in good conditions. And there, we are very far from the account ...
And when the missed show doubles with a price too much overvalued, the viewer really feels like being taken for what it is not. So I can only advise you to run away this box that demonstrates once again that it is not because a manufacturer knows how to make good atomizers that he is necessarily gifted for mods.
Speaking of atomizer, if you choose the kit, you will have in your hands a Sub Serpent.
The Serpent Sub
This clearomiser demonstrates, unlike the box that serves as a support, the full extent of talent Wotofo to make steam engines.
Here we have an atomizer of excellent quality that deserves attention.
With a size of 43mm overall and a diameter of 22, this clearo uses 0.5Ω resistors and the manufacturer recommends not to exceed 40W. Which act. To this power, the vape is generous, well textured and the flavors are largely at the rendezvous. With 3.5ml autonomy, we are in a good size / capacity ratio.
Resistors readily accept significant viscosities, up to 100% VG and swallow all juices without problems.
Put on a mod worthy of the name, the rendering is very nice and sustained, worthy of some rebuildable.
Easy to fill, just close the generous airholes and unscrew the top-cap to do this. Nothing complicated. Then, you will revisit the top-cap and you can re-open the airflow at your convenience. It should also be noted that this airflow, unlike other atos, can be decreased without disrupting the proper functioning of the resistance. Without access to a tight (or indirect) vape, you can saturate the aromas by reducing the air. Thus, Flavor Chasers and Cloud Chasers will be happy using the Serpent Sub which does its job perfectly in both categories.
Consumption is in tune with what clearo sends even if we could know worse in the field.
On balance, an excellent clearo, well built and efficient that demonstrates a perfect control of its manufacturer in the sector.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.