- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The World of the Vape
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 14
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
At Simeiyue, you have to follow the news virtually every day to get an idea of the staggering number of boxs coming out of their homes! After a Mini 60 without temperature control, there was the 50 with temperature control but with none of the aesthetic codes of the first and, finally, here we are today with an 60TC Mini that seems to be a hybrid of the two preceding. Aesthetically (thankfully) for the 60 mini and technically for the 50TC.
In short, once sorted the wheat of the chaff, it is the 60TC Mini that we will dissect today.
So here we are facing a "sexy" box, quite small, with a very large color screen and sending 60W power mode and 315 ° in temperature control mode. What fun, therefore, and hope for a wide range of possibilities.
In power mode, the box will work between 3W and 60W, can go down in voltage up to 1V and up to 14V (with a single battery!) And this, on resistances in Kanthal, nichrome or steel, between 0.1Ω and 3Ω . The only restrctions it will have will be its limitation in intensity to 30A and, of course, the limitation specific to your battery. Views the possibilities of the sexy box, so be sure to match him a battery that can spit about 30 / 35A output, under penalty of potential problems.
In temperature control mode, in ° Celsius, it will run between 90 ° and 315 ° C on a NI200 resistance between 0.1Ω and 1Ω. There has recently been a firmware upgrade, available on the manufacturer's website (http://www.simeiyue.com/) which also makes it possible to mount titanium resistors. Remember that vegetable glycerine degrades between 280 ° and 290 ° C and generates acrolein, so be careful not to be too greedy in temperature and not to exceed this critical threshold.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 26.5
- Product Length or Height in mms: 82
- Product weight in grams: 217.5
- Material composing the product: Diamond
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Style of decoration: Cyber Punk universe
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
What surprises first by looking at the SMY60 TC Mini is the look! The box is really pretty, (allow me this purely subjective judgment), and presents well.
With its large color screen equipped with the famous old-fashioned vu-meter, its perfectly made carbon facade, its brushed steel metal frame, all the ingredients are there to have transformed the Cinderella that was the 50TC into a princess! Including the famous glass slipper (vair, in fact, but let's go ...) that covers the screen without concealing it. Nothing to say, the presentation is exquisite.
The touch is excellent too, the size contained in length and width being for many even if the width of 26mm may seem important. The box is comfortable in hand, a little slippery but its width and weight relatively present that it imposes enough so that we do not forget and it will not fall accidentally.
The battery access door is convenient and fits snugly when positioned with side guides and strong magnets. SMY has learned from past mistakes, a sign of a buoyant and responsive builder. Moreover, the overall finish does not lend itself to criticism. It is well assembled, well thought out and well adjusted.
A small flat. I would have preferred the use of stainless steel rather than an alloy of zinc and aluminum in order to benefit from a hardness more conducive to a better reliability over time. But the metallurgical miracle happens all the same and the perceived quality is very good!
And, finally, really to report it without it being unacceptable, the box is a fingerprint magnet. Prepare your cloths, maniacal friends!
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Display of the vape time since a certain date, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistances of the Atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages, Luminous indicators of operation
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the atomizer resistance
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The SMY60 TC Mini will please the geeks of the vape! It has indeed a whole arsenal of features, the most essential to the most useless, which will still give a lot of fun by going rummaging through the menu.
Some indications :
- The 1860 battery you have chosen is upside down, the negative pole to the top of the box.
- 5 clicks on the Switch: we turn on the box
- 3 clicks on the switch: we enter the menus
- [+] Button: Increases the wattage power in watt OR the temperature of 5 ° in 5 ° C
- [-] button: does exactly the opposite
- [+] and [-] at the same time: we locate or un-locate the box.
So far, everything is fine, nothing but classic but still functional and efficient.
1. Power settings: it only allows to turn off the box. I would have preferred a classic 5 clicks on the switch.
2. Allows you to bypass the box, like pressing the [+] and [-] buttons. I'm not a fan, I prefer the other way, more intuitive.
3. The settings menu:
a / Work mode: allows the choice between variable power mode, temperature control mode in Celsius or temperature control mode in Fahrenheit.
b / Time Settings: allows to determine the cut-off for each puff, the delay of extinction of the screen and that of the automatic extinction of the box.
c / Date & Time: set the time and date display.
d / Puff Info: Give the number of puffs since a given moment, the total time of vape as well as the possibility of resetting these values to zero. A useless thing for me.
4. Help: This menu provides information about the firmware version, some technical features, and the meaning of the error messages. Excellent idea !
The screen is not only there in an aesthetic setting, it provides crucial information:
- The charge of the battery
- The resistance of the ato
- The time of each puff (illegible inevitably since you can not vape and watch the screen at the same time unless you risk a torticollis).
- The time and date: Practical enough my faith beyond the gadget aspect, it remains quite useful.
- The famous Vu-meter, totally useless therefore indispensable!
- The menu icons, practical to navigate.
In variable power mode, the display also shows: the power chosen, the voltage delivered and the amperage intensity, useful to know if you are in the nails of what can get your battery. Well seen!
In temperature control mode, the display shows the selected temperature but also the temperature in real time.
The ventilation in case of degassing or overheating is done by vents placed on the bottom of the box.
I note, however, some shortcomings:
The 510 connector tray is not very wide and has a pretty cheap appearance. By cons, its spring connector is well thought out and all atos fall well.
If the mod does well 26mm depth, its beveled edges create a usable plate of 20mm. It does not matter, the aesthetic damage is not obvious and the box will accommodate an ato up to 23mm without the set-up is ugly.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Nothing to report even if I keep a certain nostalgia for the old packagings of SMY with their carrying pouch. Here, we have a cardboard box that contains, besides the box that interests us, a soft cloth, a USB / micro USB cable a bit short and a record in English very complete and illustrated. It's good. We are on a standard packaging but that is far from incongruous.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The temperature control mode is well developed and those who like to vaper on this type of configuration will find it easily. Especially since there is no juggling between power and temperature, the SMY60 takes care of everything for you. Place your ato equipped with the appropriate wire, set your temperature and roll youth, there is more to vaper! I preferred this mode on this fashionable mod!
The power mode, him, disappointed me. The voltage delivered is higher than the one requested and this, whether on strong or weak resistances and above all, there is a boost effect at the beginning which alters the flavor and overheats the wire, and therefore the juice, even that the capillarity is not yet "lapped" by the influx of the liquid on the resistance due to the increase of the temperature and the conjugate aspiration. The result is that we always feel we are too powerful compared to what we ask. I think it would have been better, like other boxes, to create a gentle slope (tiny of course) in the sending of the tension so that everything can be prepared to reach the desired power. Here, SMY has made the opposite choice. This will please those who like a vape hard and immediate, suitable to awaken resistives or atos a little "diesels" but displease those who prefer a controlled gentleness. Question of choice, then.
Otherwise, no black cloud came to clog the sky of these three days of testing. The box is reliable, easy and makes its effect thanks to its nice look.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber - Resistance greater than or equal to 1.7 Ohms, A Fiber Low Resistance less than or equal to 1.5 Ohms, In Sub-ohm Mounting, Rebuildable Genesis Type Metal Mount Mesh, Rebuildable Genesis Type Fitting Wick Metal Fiber Freaks
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All!
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT, Joyetech Ego One NI200 Mega, Subtank, Mutation V4, DID
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any ato equipped with an 510 connection and less than or equal to 23mm diameter
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Make no mistake. Whatever the seriousness of the chronicler, there is always an objective part in a review but also a subjective part.
Thus, beyond the few faults that dot here and there the construction or the behavior of the box, there is a reality. This is that the box is well built, pretty, nice in hand and works very well in temperature control mode.
The only fault I could find is this boost effect in variable power mode and the fact that the power displayed is about 7% lower than the power felt. And this extra power is destabilizing and takes place, in my opinion, to the detriment of the rendering of flavors. I often felt that the liquid was overheating and that could spoil my vape. Tested on a DID, venerable but still topical Genesis old-style atomizer, this effect becomes almost positive because it against the diesel aspect of the assembly. So, what is a defect for me can prove to be an advantage for you? So here comes the notion of subjectivity that I was talking about. This is not a box for my vape but it may be the right box for yours.
In any case, at the time of the purchase of a box mini, the SMY arises competitor sempiternelle references for who likes the difference, the numerous functionalities and which needs this additional power at the time of the fire to wake up a ato lazy.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.