- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Le Monde de la Vape
- Price of the tested product: 109 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 8
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.3
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Having been favorably impressed by the promises of the SMY260 in its class and appreciated the SMY Kung Fu concept and pricing modesty, I must admit that I was expecting a lot from the SMY 60. It must be said that, on paper, it has everything to please: a square but attractive aesthetic with a carbon fiber plating, a solid aluminum structure and beautiful appearance and the famous color screen whose photos drooled more than one vapoteur. In addition, with 60W, it came into direct competition with an IPV 2 MiniV2 with an incredible chipset but a finish for the least perfectible or with an M80 Smok perfect and fully accomplished but having the disadvantage of having batteries owners and even see a HCigar HB50 that had bluffed me by its simplicity and performance in pure rendering. So there was a place for the Chinese manufacturer Simeiyue in this range very popular with the community.
But it is missed and the manufacturer misses this opportunity altogether. So we will do together this chronicle of a death announced that is due to a single concrete parameter: it's good to want to make boxes, still should test them before selling them ... What happens Does it mean concretely when a builder pays himself the head of his customers?
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 27.6
- Product Length or Height in mms: 99.05
- Product weight in grams: 244.43
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Copper
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? No
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? No
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 1.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
109 €! Let's start there if you want it. This tariff alone shows the perfect knowledge of the segment by the manufacturer. We are between 20 and 40 € above mid-range boxs. You can tell me that we are much cheaper than a SX Mini or a Vaporshark but it would be forgotten that these two mods are equipped with famous chipsets, expensive and being at the origin of major innovations like the control of temperature. When Evolv or Yihi release a new chipset, the news spreads like the Black Death and we already know that something new will happen in the vape. Simeiyue is far from having the same aura as the two founders. And, as we will see later, far from providing the same quality, alas. So, if we compare what is comparable, the SMY60 is totally off-topic at the tariff level. For thirty euros more, Hcigar sells a DNA40 very beautiful bill and without problems, she ...
Size!!!!! The SMY 60 shows the size of a box with two batteries and again, a beautiful! Given that it contains only one, it becomes almost fun. Lovers of compactness, go your way. Here, we proudly display box dimensions of cloud-chaser but of course, without having the capabilities. Here again, the manufacturer is demonstrating its relative ignorance of the market and its inefficiency in miniaturizing its electronics.
I remind you that the M80 SMOK used for the comparison uses, it, two LiPo batteries in 18650 ...
But that could happen if the finish of the SMY60 made a real difference with its main competitors. But here too, the promises of paper turn to the pantalonnade. The box is good, it is beautiful, has an apparent finish excellent and continues to dream when you open it. We discover in fact a motherboard mechanically fixed, without a single glue point and thick wiring perfectly welded. And this is where the dream becomes a nightmare ... indeed, it is the closing screws of the internal plastic protecting the electronics that also act as a "guide" to keep the magnetic cap in place and thus prevent it from moving laterally. In theory…. Since in practice, the heads of the screws are too thin and not wide enough to perform this task and the cover moves in all directions, up or down and to the sides, so that the grip of the box is catastrophic. Imagine you vape on the Titanic while zoukant when it sinks and you'll have an idea of the effect made .. On a box 50 €, I would have drilled two holes and glued two good big screws but on a box at 109 €, joking !!!!
Fortunately, our sponsor, always looking for good, warned us that the builder had realized the problem (it was time ...) and sent replacement screws to dealers for their customers. Thus, Simeiyue replaces Ikea and creates the first kit box. Buy a new song every week !!!!
I will pass with a courteous silence on the sublime color screen, only novelty finally striking of this box, that the manufacturer had the excellent idea to place behind a screen smoked .... ! .... ! .... ? ... It's great because not only does it lose interest to have a screen a little more advanced but also it makes it unreadable in the sun or even difficult to read in a simple lit room. Unbelievable! Looks like two companies have shaped the SMY 60: one that would have provided a beautiful body and brilliant ideas and the other that would have knowingly done all the work of the first.
On paper………. and for real ......
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a thread adjustment.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? No
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the atomizer resistance
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 2.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
If you manage to get your battery in his home, you will be quite good. Indeed, it is imperative that someone tells Simeiyue that the batteries are 18650 and not 18640. I do not speak well on nipple batteries, you can forget them definitely, the box only accepting the flat accus but even in this case, it is suffering and company to get to insert this battery pack in this devil's machine! At this level, I see an exorcism to get to debug this box that collects gross errors as a stamp philatelist. Tested with Purple and Samsung, same thing .... a wound.
We could also argue that for the price of the box, a spring connection would probably have been more suitable and the connector 510 is placed a bit too high on the top cap, which probably favors the air intake by the low for the few atomizers that still have them but that ensures that you will always have a day of about a millimeter between the mod and the ato.
As warned our sponsor, I also find a difference of about 0.2V at the exit of the connection with that displayed on the screen. As we are already at an error ready and I start to tire, I'll go over it ... Especially that the best is yet to come.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging does not suffer from any defect. The transport box provided, in the spirit of the other productions of the manufacturer, adds a real added value to the mod. There is a square of fabric to remove the traces, a fairly clear manual, a screwdriver, a charging cable and a paper certifying that the mod has been checked before being shipped. We would have appreciated a medical certificate showing that the inspector was not drunk the day he stamped this paper .... because all doubts are allowed.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Nothing works, needs a bag in a bandage
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Difficult because requires several manipulations
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
In fact, the mod cumulates the erratic behaviors:
1. You switch and about 0.8s later, the coil starts to heat up. And this, to all possible powers and resistances. When we know it, we can probably accommodate it but if we want to be serious, a latency of this kind tends to make you mad!
2. To test the safety of a mod, it is mandatory to go off-piste. As it accepts the resistances from 0.3Ω, so I had a great pleasure to put on a Mutation X V3 in 0.26Ω to see the reaction of the chipset. Well, from the start, it shows me a superb 0.3Ω ... .. admit, the precision does not seem to be the favorite playground of the SMY60 ... Then tease, I put the power to 60W and I'm firing. The screen panics, shows me a superb "Low Voltage" (?). I say to myself: "Ah, finally, he reacts, he speaks to me !!!!" Alas, he's talking, yes, but he's still gallantly firing and my atomizer throwing steam everywhere! So, you have to be clear. Either the mod is protected, displays the blah that he wants and he stops the vape, or he vapes and we do not care! Where is the security in there?
I also specify that the photo has been retouched to accentuate the brightness ...
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 2.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Beyond all that, there is the rendering. Because, in fact, that is what predominates above all, that the vape is pleasant, is not it?
A moderate vape, between 12 and 20W, if we except the latency of almost a second, we note a rendering dry, without pleasure, which crushes the flavors, which gives a taste of warm even lowering the watts, sign that the algorithm Smoothing is not perfected in this power range. It's simple, it's like getting back to the good old days of 33Hz chipsets.
A stronger power, if the latency is still the same, the chipset seems a little less peremptory and gives a better rendering but between us, we can not compare the quality of this rendering with that of competitors. A 30W Istick or even 20W will give you a lot more, much better for a lot less money. And I'm not even talking about an IPV2 Mini V2 or a SMOK M80 ...
I could also tell you about the impossibility of adjusting the cut-off and the rage to undergo, after ten seconds, a coitus interruptus which we would do well. I could evoke the automatic setting in bypass which makes that whatever is the moment where you take back your mod, it is necessary to press simultaneously "+" and "-" to unlock it. But for all this, you have already understood what you had to do.
Note anyway the display of the output intensity, feature I've been dreaming for months, but on this mod seems as incongruous as a button on the right buttock of Miss France.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Whatever you want, it will not make a big difference ...
- Description of the test configuration used: SMY 60 + a dozen atomizers of all categories and an aspirin tablet.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Leave it in its box.
was the product liked by the reviewer: No
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 1.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I want to thank Carlos du Monde de la Vape who, rather than keeping this mod for sale, preferred to consult us before because he had realized the many problems that seemed to exist. I want to say that it is quite rare that a shop makes such an effort because it is so much easier not to test the products we sell and to rely on divine providence for the rest ... .. To date, Monde de la Vape has removed the SMY 60 from its catalog and sent the information back to the manufacturer. It had already removed the SMY 90 itself for chipset problems (so ...).
We could have done a blessing review and say, "Yeah, it's a ball, the screen is nice and it's steaming too ..." but if doing hardware tests is tantamount to any mud pile, what is the interest for the vaper and the community? I'm probably a dinosaur but for me, a test is to be honest and say what you think of a product and not do a publi-editorial article to please a machin or so or a way to thank the hand that gave the material. All the material we test here is loaned and not given and if we find that material is not successful, we say so and to our partners and you. That's what we owe you and that's why we exist.
At the latest news, the information is reported to the manufacturer and he decided to launch a second batch by correcting "problems". We hope that all returns have been heard and that this second test will be at the level of what could be expected. We will be there to check it. And until then, I can only strongly advise you to postpone your purchase and advise shops to return their stock to the manufacturer. Because they are undoubtedly the first ones to have been made ...
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.