- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Smoant
- Price of the tested product: 89.90 €
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 €)
- Mod type: Voltage and variable power electronics with temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 218W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4Ω
- Minimum value in Ohm of resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The ant, Smoant, has just released the Ranker TC218, which is at first sight a male box. Indeed, its trigger-shaped switch, its weight and its massive look correspond more to a boy's look than the fine lines of a product intended for women. Nevertheless, these measurements remain perfectly correct and will be able to adapt to the preferences of the vapoteur whatever its sex. All dressed in black, she combines the zinc alloy with a leather that mimics the crocodile skin.
Beyond its physical aspect, the capabilities of this box offer great possibilities with a power of vape up to 218W. It also offers temperature control with conventional resistive devices such as nickel, stainless steel (SS316), titanium or even TCR by adjusting the temperature coefficient of the resistive used.
Each mode offers interesting perspectives such as the power mode with the "Curve Mode" on 8 seconds, which we will talk about later, or the setting of the box that offers an 1.3 Oled screen display "in a sporty round format. car counter style, or more classic square with nine choices of integrated wallpapers.
The minimum value of the resistor starts from 0.1Ω, up to 5Ω in variable power or 2Ω in temperature control, thanks to a powerful proprietary chipset, the Ant218 V2.
This Ranker will be powered by two batteries that require a high discharge current greater than or equal to 25 A. The chipset update and reloading are possible via the micro USB cable provided.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Product Diameter in mm: 29 x 55
- Product Length or Height in mm: 91.5
- Product weight in grams: 317
- Materials composing the product: Zinc alloy, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box
- Style of decoration: Masculine
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Type of the fire button: Mechanical mechanical catch on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Ranker does not have a common shape, at least on the top of the product with an inclined top-cap on which the 510 connection has a diameter of 25mm, to assemble an atomizer totally perpendicular to the body. This box is rather impressive and is not lighter, but we quickly get used to the weight because the format remains common. The location of the batteries is easily accessible, without a screwdriver since it has a hinged sliding cover that articulates effectively without detaching.
1.3's "Oled screen" is rather large but Smoant has aligned its visualization with the tilt of the top-cap, which gives a quirky appearance to this aesthetic to offer a different charm, which one adapts relatively well. At the same time, the adjustment buttons are integrated on the bottom of the screen which causes some unfortunate fingerprints.
I regret a little brightness intensity, because even if it is adjustable, the maximum remains average. Under the adjustment buttons, out of the field of the screen, there is the opening planned to insert a micro USB cable for reloading or updating the chipset.
The coating of the Ranker TC218 is zinc alloy with a matte black coating that matches a black leather part imitating the crocodile skin. A coherent set that adds to the manly pace of the box.
The finishes and bolts are perfect. For the switch, it is not a button but a trigger that allows contact on the top of it. Although a priori this configuration works perfectly well, I found the approach a little tedious by a support that requires more effort than a conventional button and reacts, therefore, less precisely. A somewhat stiff trigger that lacks flexibility.
At the 510 connection, the pin is spring-loaded and is very convenient for flush mounting of the associated atomizer in maximum 25mm. Nothing to say about the thread of this connection, it is perfect. For the dissipation of the heat, I did not find any vents.
Overall, it's a good product with a masculine look assumed and assured, good taste.
- Chipset type used: Ant218 V2
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No scheduled shutdown after 10s
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course, Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the setting day of its firmware, Adjusting the display brightness
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed a bottom atomizer
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
This box offers all the functions necessary for a product of this type for a power of 218W.
Several modes of operation, power or temperature control:
The power mode allows the resistance to be preheated with three choices: "min" for a gentle heating of the resistor, "norm" for normal operation or "max" to have a resistance that gives the maximum of its heating from the start .
You can also access the Curve mode for eight seconds, this function allows you to adjust each second of the puff by imposing a prerecorded power. The resistances accepted in power must be between 0.1Ω and 5Ω.
In temperature control, you have the choice of the resistive used between nickel, stainless steel or titanium. But the choice does not stop there since the TCR offers to record the temperature coefficient of the resistive used for the case where the latter would be different and its known coefficient. The principle of the Curve mode is also proposed with temperatures over eight seconds configurable. Resistances accepted in CT must be between 0.1Ω and 2Ω.
Other functions :
- Brightness of the screen
- Setting the time
- Two display styles available in round or square format
- Setting the sleep time according to inactivity
- Choice of wallpaper in standby, between clock or image on nine proposals
- A reset of the settings of the box
- Square format wallpaper, nine choices available
- Recharging via micro USB cable,
- Updated Chipset
- Locking adjustment buttons
- Time display.
Against short circuits, overheating of the chipset, voltage drop, resistance too low, battery low and the box stops beyond a long press of more than 10 seconds.
The display of the screen:
The screen provides us with all the necessary information such as, applied power (or temperature depending on the vape mode), voltage, resistance value, battery charge and even time. However, if the display of the power is widely visible, the other information is very ... too small. Only the hour draws its "pin screen" with a standby on a beautiful clock clock, clearly visible throughout the screen space.
For the car counter format, the difficulty remains the same with riquiqui information for most of them. Too bad that the readability space is not better exploited.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is complete, in a thick cardboard box in which there is a foam to protect the box. There is also: a manual, a certificate of authenticity and a connection cable for the USB port.
On the box, you will also find the code and the serial number of the product.
I am pleased to note that the notice is in several languages, including French and that it is relatively well detailed.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
I was expecting to find a box much more complex than that, I even think it's one of the simplest with such a wide selection of features. The organization of the menu is really easy, it was a pleasure to navigate.
For ignition, the operation is done in five clicks. Access to the menu in three clicks and to scroll through the functions, it is necessary to use the buttons of adjustment and confirm the choice with the trigger. Finally, to exit features, simply extend the hold on the trigger.
To lock the adjustment buttons, simply press + and - at the same time.
On the other hand, I found no possibility to lock the box and therefore the risk of inadvertent switching of the switch is possible but only for ten seconds, beyond, the box turns off automatically.
So much for the main lines related to the use. Once in the menu, each mode is represented by a very explicit drawing and navigation is as fun as elemental.
Side vape, there is nothing to say, this Ranker is reactive and fair, its vape offers a fairly linear and even if I did not use an oscilloscope to confirm my feelings, the accuracy of the powers requested seems exact depending on the resistance achieved.
For ergonomics, we remain in a fairly common format, only the weight is slightly higher than most boxes in the market (not much), but we adapt well.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Anyone with diameters up to 25mm
- Description of the test configuration used: With Kylin in 0.6Ω and with Ni200 in 0.15Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: There are none in particular
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I am not a man but I must admit that Ranker TC218 has seduced me despite his masculine appearance. Overall, aside from its weight, it remains ergonomic in a classic format. Some eccentricities like the top-cap or the slightly inclined screen, brings to this box a pleasant and unusual aesthetic signature, which combines with a custom screen display and atypical to seduce. And it works, even when some of the information is tiny.
Well made, it is also powerful with its chipset Ant218 V2 which offers a fair and consistent vape. Overall we are on a good product, reliable which, despite everything, has some defects. The trigger is not really very flexible, the brightness of the screen is average and lock box is not expected, however, these defects are minor because its use is really practical and instinctive.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.