- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Happesmoke
- Price of the tested product: 89.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Mechanical Bottom Feeder
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum Voltage: Mechanical mod, the voltage will depend on the batteries and their type of mounting (series or parallel)
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not applicable
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Squonkers friends, get out of your dens! After many years or you have been ignored, mocked or even ostracized, you are finally free. Take out your dusty REO, Galactika and your drawers, your drippers with the pine lovingly hand-pierced, you've become fashionable!
Indeed, since a few months and under the democratic impulse of Kanger, Bottom-Feeding has become a staple for vapogeek and few manufacturers are not to offer the catalog an object that will allow you to feed your dripper by the bottom of its connection via a flexible bottle judiciously placed in the box. Because it is bathi that one could popularize the concept of bottom-feeding to explain it to the neophyte.
Box BF electronic or mechanical, it depends more on the parish to which you adhere and I do not squonkerais on the bottle to feed this schism. The supply is today plethoric, it reaches all tariff segments, everyone can find a shoe to his feet and it suits me perfectly!
Stentorian, American moderator, proposes us with the RAM Box mod his interpretation of the mechanical mod BF. The brand has used the services of Wotofo for the production of the said object, certainly for the laudable purpose of dropping the costs and becoming competitive in a sector that has long been devoted to the high-end, that it is deserved on some pieces of goldsmith or usurped on others.
The Ram is therefore a single-cell mechanical box hosting a bottle of 7ml capacity. There are two versions corresponding to the two available materials. A padouk version, a very stable and naturally water-resistant exotic wood species, treated to be truly e-liquid-proof and a molded composite resin version that we will discover today. In this material, it is available in three shades knowing that resin molding necessarily ensures a unique rendering on each box.
Available at 89.90 €, public price generally found, the RAM does not blow the elbow but remains, to a certain extent, competitive if one takes into account the average market prices on the category. And the little chick relies on her sympathy and wasp size to turn heads and change the game.
The bottom-feeding does not support the approximation and it will take something other than a pretty dress to impress the old veterans already broken with the exercise. But we are starting on a good foundation. Let's go on…
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 24.2
- Product Length or Height in mm: 78.5
- Product weight in grams: 120
- Material composing the product: Padouk wood or composite resin
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 0
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Here we are in direct contact with a very small and cute miss that seems made to seduce.
Seduce by its mini size, first, which makes it just beyond Pico's snout and makes it perfectly nomadic for everyday use.
Seduce also by its weight which largely benefits from the lightness inherent to the composite material. Armed with a dripper 22mm diameter, it will struggle to exceed 150gr, which is a good start to almost forget that a mod is held in his hand.
Finally, to seduce with a joyous aesthetic, between the princess box and the "Munchian" atmosphere, motifs that the resin draws by itself while drying.
The finish is very honorable and does not call any particular criticism. The adjustment between the chassis and the hood is very correct. The central holding magnet holds well (Etienne, Etienne ....) And the interior has been worked to present a finish comparable to that of the exterior, both in quality and materials. There is therefore a button switch on spring, lockable and de-lockable by a single quarter turn clockwise or vice versa. Once operational, the switch makes contact on the stem connected to the connection, thus closing the electrical circuit and sending energy to your coil. Simple and classic, this system will bring back good memories to old fans of pinky switches that worked in the same mode.
The set of metal parts is 24k gold plated, it is good to avoid the oxidation of contacts even if it makes, for once, the hardware a little bling-bling and too bright, more "GIFI" than "Van Cleef & Arpels "if you know what I mean. And most importantly, this should not imply that the conductivity is objectively better, it depends heavily on the base material before plating, its mass and the size of the contact surfaces.
The 510 connection is surrounded by an insulating circle in peek to avoid conveying heat to the resin, an idea that seems theoretically good and that, in use, seems to work perfectly. I assure you, nothing has melted during the test!
No gassing vents, but the light that allows your finger to press on the bottle also plays this role. In addition, its size is ideally thought for handling, even the biggest fingers will have a hard time missing on the squonk (note: action to press the bottle to raise the juice in the atomizer, all in a sucking sound that is "squonk", roughly speaking .....)
The switch is not very pleasant to handle. It remains hard, even after some break-in time and its race is too long. Of course, it is bearable but a little tiring on the length of vape. Moreover, we will return to this one a little lower because there are some additional problems to raise.
Under the bottom-cap, we find a medal with the arms of the manufacturer Stentorian, well done but which adds, in my humble opinion, an extra rhinestone appearance at the box. I much prefer hot stamping the product name "RAM" located on the front where is the switch.
The cradle for the battery is cut from the resin and has a wall that will partially protect the battery from the bottle. The battery is simple to insert, in the sense that you want since we are, I remind you, on a mechanical box. The bottle and the plumbing device to drive the liquid to its purpose are conventional but very effective. There is no leakage so the seal is assured and the liquid arrives safely, which is always preferable. The flexibility of the bottle is ideal and pressing on it to send the fluid is no problem.
All in all we have a mixed record with obvious positive points such as size, weight and finish but also negative sides such as the hardness of the switch and a propensity to put too much glitter on a box that probably did not require not that much.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Bad, the chosen approach is tedious or not practical
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Not applicable, it is a mechanical mod
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Talking about functionalities around a BF Mecca box amounts to asking three questions:
Waterproof? It is good, the RAM provides in this chapter and the hydraulic system is controlled. It does not bead, do not drip, do not leak. We are on a product designed for bottom-feeding that has not forgotten the basics.
Conductivity? I am more circumspect. This one does not seem to be the most conclusive and the comparison with other models, atomizer and batteries equals, unfortunately corroborates my intuition. The switch is placed 2mm too low compared to the stem, the stop is partly on the rubber hose. The circuit still closes, of course, but the non-optimal position could theoretically affect the overall conductivity. Similarly, it would probably be more efficient to land the coin pushed on a flat to maximize the connection. Here, one fails on the cylinder of the gallows and, once again, one loses a precious surface of contact.
To finish with this system that I do not find sufficiently optimized, I will add that the hardness of the switch also influences negatively on the conductivity. Indeed, even if we never get objectively missfires, we notice that, when a less sustained support, the delivered tension drops slightly and rendering is thwarted.
Be careful, these are not disqualifying faults. The box vapes properly and delivers on its promise of quality vape. But, at nearly 90 € all the same, one is perhaps entitled to expect a maximized conductivity. Here, this is not really the case.
Security ? This point will raise a second important point about the use of the box. Indeed, it is expected that the switch can be locked by turning, allowing a transport of your set-up without fear of unexpected startup. And it works. Sometimes. The problematic point comes from the difficulty of turning this damned button. Its tiny size, its edge making difficult any grip and the hardness of the rotary movement combine wonderfully to dissuade you from doing it once and for all. If you have nails, do not even think about it. If you do not have one but your fingers are larger than a five-year-old, do not hurt yourself. This crucial feature, however, was simply shipped by a rotary movement difficult to achieve by a human hand, making its relative utility.
It is possible, however, that this problem affects only the copy in my hands, I must remain objective. Also, I will welcome your feedback, positive or negative, in the section devoted to comments to further inform the vaponautes.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The package blows hot and cold at the same time, a bit like the rest of the test.
If we find a record in French (among others), which is a good point, we may regret the total lack of interesting information on it. It is limited to explain how to fill the bottle and lock the switch (good luck!). A reminder of the precautions of use, always important for a mod mecha, as well as a technical sheet worthy of the name could have found right here for the target public of the RAM: those which do not have a box bottom yet mechanical feeder.
We will not find less than three bottles, which will allow you to see a lot. An excellent point that sift, alas, a cardboard packaging of a relative rigidity, sad reminiscence that will remind older vapers the initial wanderings of some supporters of the High-End and other ants vicious, understand who wants. If your cardboard arrives not flattened, consider yourself happy.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
I will be very clear. If you like to vape at a fairly modest power, on a tight or semi-aerial flow, with a mono-coil dripper and nomadic situation, the RAM is a good tool. A good complement to a tight Narda mounted in 0.7 / 1Ω for example, to express a vape rather typical sweet tastes.
If you want an abundant vape, very aerial and sustained power, the Ram is not made for that. It will, of course, develop quite a lot of power with the battery and a fairly low resistance but the fairly limited conductivity of the machine will dissuade you from using it in this way.
Otherwise, beyond my great reserve on the locking device, I did not find any anomalies during operation.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18500
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper Bottom Feeder
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A RDA BF between 22 and 24mm
- Description of the test configuration used: The Flave, Narda, Saturn
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The one that suits you aesthetically
was the product liked by the reviewer: No
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 2.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Beautiful, a little too makeup but very nice, the RAM arrived with a healthy fresh air in the game box BF.
But here he is, free figures and imposed figures, as in figure skating, in the cruel world of mod mecha. Conductivity and safety are non-negotiable things and it becomes difficult to appreciate at its "fair value" a contender certainly cute but who has forgotten that conductivity is working before anything else in this category.
Similarly, it is a shame to have ignored the database of hundreds of moders who have succeeded, in addition to ten years of experience in the world of mechanical mod, the cap of the switch block to propose here a device subject unreliable and difficult to handle.
In short, I pass my turn with regret and a questioning glance on the tariff requested which seems to me more adapted to the circumstances of fashion which surround the BF than to a concrete reality of R & D.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.