- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Smoker
- Price of the tested product: 28.82 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Entry level (from 1 to 40 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 W
- Maximum voltage: 8.4 V
- Minimum resistance value for a start: 0.06 Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Dear vaping friends, it is not every day that lands on my bench a mod at 29 €! The entry level is quite rare these days, the high-end also elsewhere. It is believed that a majority of general manufacturers, Chinese in general, have agreed to emphasize all their efforts on the mid-range segment probably the most buoyant.
So here we are faced with a Rader Eco 200W brand Hugo Vapor, Chinese manufacturer in the circuit for three or four years now, specializing in box mods. I still have in my collection a Mod Boxer, who was the first manufacturer and still works very well, at least electronically seen that a sumptuous crisis of alopecia has furiously degraded its appearance over time. The guy loses his paint as fast as me my hair!
The mod of the day, the Rader, presents itself as a near-identical cosmetic copy of the Teslacigs Wye 200 first of the name from which it borrows its form factor and its smart concept of ultra light box. However, some differences point the tip of their nose and, having largely tolerated that the liquidators shamelessly copy the best-selling recipes, we will not come to the mouth when the process is repeated on the equipment. In any case, the Wye V1.0 no longer exists and the ultra-democratic tariff of the Rader largely justifies the fact of asking a serious review.
200W, dual battery, variable power, "mechanical" mode, temperature control and TCR are on the menu. This box has all of a great. We could just regret that she does not give the time but it would be a mistake because it gives it too!
Available in a large number of colors, it will be easy to find a shoe to its feet if you like the rather modern graphics and manga spirit.
Come on, put on the white gloves and the suit, we grab the hammer and the mass and we'll see what the beauty has in the belly.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 42
- Product Length or Height in mm: 84
- Product weight in grams: 159.8
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Nylon, Fiberglass
- Type of Form Factor: Classic parallelepipedic box
- Decoration Style: Military Universe
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons on the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
From a strictly aesthetic point of view, we are dealing with a parallelepiped shaped box, rounded on all angles with a greater width at the back than at the front. Nothing new but, personally, I quite like this form factor that holds well in hand. To this, we can add a great sweetness of the material that sensually flatters the palm.
Since there is talk of material, the Rader employs an interesting mixture since it comes from injection molding of polyamide reinforced with glass fibers. The process, which is significantly different from Teslacigs Wye's ABS, provides better resistance to shock and high temperatures and is widely used throughout the industry to replace some of the significantly heavier metal parts. The magic operates since we have a box at 71gr, without battery. Less than the battery pair needed for its operation and less than a large atomizer.
As a result, the combo of lightness / softness / form factor is a success and the handling is quickly obvious.
The battery door, forged in the same "metal", is easily clipped on the back of the mod by four magnets at the corners of the plate. The location is, in my opinion, ideal because it avoids the traps located on the bottom that open without warning and swing your precious batteries on the ground.
The front panel hosts a good quality switch, quite noisy when clicked on but this will only interfere with music lovers, phobic click and other neurotics who support only one type of noise: the one coming out of their mouths. On the other hand, the pressure to be exerted must be quite frank because, even if the race is weak, the relative elasticity of the material imposes a rather authoritarian index or thumb.
Ditto for the setting button or the sempiternals [+] and [-] share a rectangular bar and the same type of click. I find it auspicious because when you see it as a myopic mole, which is my case, the noise validates the feeling of having locked its setting.
Between the two throne a superb 0.96 'OLED screen, very clear and perfectly ordered. The hierarchy of information has been carefully thought out and all the data appear at a glance, we will come back to it later.
On the top-cap, we find a steel connection plate, beautiful and grooved bill for the few atomizers taking their airflow by the 510. The mod will easily accommodate large diameter atomizers. An 27mm will return pile-hair. Plus, it would be gluttony and you would lose the flush that any geek is entitled to expect from his set-up.
Two degassing vents are formed by cutting between the body of the apparatus and the battery door. Nothing to fear on that side.
A micro-USB port will be used to recharge your box although I urge you to use an external charger to do this. It should be noted that the load implemented can go up to 2A with the appropriate equipment, which augurs a certain speed in nomadic mode. And so much better because the box is not passthrough, ie you will be unable to vape with a thread to the paw, the load interrupting the power of the chipset. Venial sin in my case since I always have two batteries in the bag ...
Well, we remove the blouse and the gloves, we take the microscope and we'll see how it works!
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, vape time display from a certain date, temperature control of atomizer resistors, support firmware update, brightness adjustment d display, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function passthrough? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? Alarm type alarm
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 27
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Rader does it all and it does it very well!
First, we have a more traditional variable power mode that increments in increments of 0.1W between 1W and 100W. Then, the steps get bigger and the increment will be 1W between 100W and 200W. Of course, who can do it the least, but I admit to getting tired of counters in 0.1W pretty quickly ... I prefer them in 0.5W that I find more adapted to the reality of a vaper. Find me someone who will make the difference between 47.4W and 47.5!
Preheating is present. Very effective, here is an example of what he does to the signal. On my 0.65Ω atomizer to which I request an output power of 36W, the Rader sends 4.88V. It is thus roughly modeled on the ohm law, to a few hundredths. In the Power + mode with the same parameters, he sends me the trifle of 5.6V, a reality of about 48W that he will maintain for about 3 seconds. Ideal for a coil with complex resistive particularly lazy. By cons, for simple strand, even a little diesel, the duration of pre-heat is a bit long. In Soft mode, the mod will send 4.32V a power of 28.7W that will maintain 3 seconds as well.
We also have a temperature control mode, adjustable between 100 and 315 ° C that natively takes the SS316, the Ni200 and (alas) the Titanium. There is also the possibility to directly implement the heating coefficient of your wire if it does not belong to any of these categories by accessing the menu mode that we will see below.
In summary, the possibility of vaping by-pass, ie by emulating a mechanical mode. This mode will shunt the chipset's computing capacity while retaining the usual protection and will send your atomizer the voltage in your batteries, between 6.4V and 8.4V charged. Interesting for very low resistance atomizers (I remind you that the Rader starts at 0.06Ω) in order to send a huge amount of steam into the stratosphere. However, be careful not to be deceived, if you use a Nautilus 1.6Ω, switching from By-Pass mode to 8.4V could well expel ato in the stratosphere rather than steam!
To finish with the features, let's focus on the Curve mode that allows to draw a custom signal. That is done on eight point. Each of the points can be adjusted by adding or removing watts at the initially selected power (+/- 40W) and can be set between 0.1s and 9.9s.
Let's talk now about ergonomics if you want, the record is not very easy on the subject.
- To switch to Off or On: 5 clicks. So far, it's standard.
- If you click three times, you can change the mode. You will then have the choice between: Power for variable power; Ni200, SS316 and Ti for the temperature control, Cl for the Curve mode and finally By-pass for the "mechanic" mode.
- If you double-click, you will have access to the settings changes of the mode you are using. In Power, you will have access to pre-heating. In temperature control, you will access the general power. In By-pass, you will not have access to anything. In Curve mode, you will be able to access and modify the curve.
- If you do not click, you will get bored hard!
But that's not all, there is still a lot to discover!
- If you hold [+] and [-] simultaneously, you can lock / unlock your power or temperature setting.
- If you hold down [+] and the switch, you will lock / unlock the resistance of the ato
- If you hold down [-] and the switch is pressed at the same time, you have access to a very complete menu that will offer you the following things:
- Setting the date and time.
- Adjusting the brightness of the screen (default fully)
- Reset the puff counter.
- Stealth mode: Total off the screen to save energy.
- TCR set: to implement your own heating coefficient for temperature control.
- Default: Reset factory settings.
- Exit: Because we have to get out of there one day or another ...
The screen succeeds with mastery to make all this beautiful world visible on one and the same space. At the risk of repeating myself, I want to say that I have never seen a screen so clear and readable despite the wealth of information it offers. Judge instead:
In three lines and from top to bottom:
- Icon of charge of two separate batteries.
- Icon of the selected mode and icon of the fine adjustment (pre-heating or curve or power for the CT)
- Time and number of puffs.
- Power or temperature in large.
- Duration of the last puff in seconds. (Very clever, she stays on 2 screen at 3 seconds after the puff)
- Value of resistance
- Icon "padlock" which indicates if the resistance is locked. Otherwise, the sign Ω appears.
- Voltage delivered in volts. (Who stays on the 2 screen at 3 seconds after the puff, handy!)
- Intensity delivered in amperes. Useful to know if we have the right accusations to face it. (Do not stay lit after the puff, it's a shame).
After this rather exhaustive overview, there remain the protections of which I will spare you the long litany. Know that the Rader will protect you from everything except ebola and Abba! You can also update the firmware on the manufacturer's site even if, at this time, no upgrade is available.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A black cardboard box contains the box and a USB / micro USB cable and a note that has the good taste to speak French. Nothing transcendent but the necessary is there and the object is well protected.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The chipset GT200, owned by the manufacturer, is not only complete, it is also very nice in the vape. Rather powerful and nervous, it will perfectly accompany large steam bugs but could just as well driver a ato MTL cushy with excellent quality of restitution, pledge of a well optimized signal and a well-written calculation algorithm.
In use, we can only welcome that some manufacturers rely on lightness and new materials. No more bricks that could be used to break the shop window and make any outdoor session of vape difficult. Here, it's all light, very soft and very solid. The very basis for a mod that we are not afraid to go out every day.
No shadow comes to tarnish the picture. On three days of intensive testing, no abnormal heat, including high power. No missfire. The battery life seems well managed even if the screen, and it makes sense, pump a little energy but we have known and we still know much worse!
In short, the Rader remains usable in all conditions, with all possible atos and comes out with honors!
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT4, Wotofo Pofile RDA, e-liquids of different viscosities
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A powerful RDTA.
Was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Let's not be more royalist than the king, the Rader is an excellent mod. We could blame him for his resemblance with the Teslacigs Wye200 V1 but it would be petty. It differs deeply in the rendering and the materials used. Having had the chance to have both to compare, I will say that the Tesla is more smooth in its vape and the Rader is more nervous. But the match stops there because the first has disappeared in favor of a version 2 certainly nice and qualitative but has lost the extra soul of his predecessor.
For the Eco Rader, a Top Mod O-BLI-GA-TOIRE! Because it is complete, solid, light, soft, that its screen is great, that it assures side vape and ... it costs 29 € !!! Do you have to wrap it or eat it on the spot?
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.