- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: TechVapeur (http://tech-vapeur.fr)
- Price of the tested product: 175 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 40 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
We are here in the presence of a modest size box equipped with the latest version of the rDNA 40 chipset from Evolv which sends 40W maximum power, which cash 0.16Ω minimum resistance and comes with a battery LG H2 supposed to send 20A continuously and 35 on a time inferior to 75 seconds. This is, it seems, LG cells used by Efest in its series Purple even if they seem to work closer to the specifications on the LG than the Purple ...
The price is high and we are evolving here in the field of high-end. Driven by the reputation of reliability of computation and duration in the time of the Evolv chipset, Vaporshark adds a very serious dressing and whose finish was particularly neat as well as a box endowed with an excellent grip. Plus some big surprises that we'll see later ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 42.5
- Product Length or Height in mms: 82.5
- Product weight in grams: 193
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The quality breathes like the leather of a beautiful jacket on this mod. Vaporshark chose an aluminum / zinc alloy, sometimes used for the molding of certain car parts, which displays a very correct weight (193gr with the battery) and a reinforced solidity. On top, the manufacturer has affixed a surface treatment elegant and sober, matte appearance and the same touch to the hard rubber, which ensures a flawless grip and excellent handling. It is clear here that the major concern of the manufacturer is the strength of the crew. It would have been more likely to make more colorful, more beautiful, more bling-bling but the brand has chosen to make here a tool to vaper, a simple aesthetic but has a quality finish impeccable.
In order to extract the battery from its housing, Vaporshark installed a tongue of tissue, a little too long, which can interfere when closing the magnetic door. I advise you to cut a few millimeters of this ribbon and the problem is solved!
The magnetic hatch requires some manipulation before mastering its implementation (the fault probably the coating) but once we have the shot, it is done alone!
Vaporshark has chosen to position the screen below the mod. In use, it is not alienating especially since it is protected. But we can be divided on this site that changes the habits and is not really natural.
The 510 gold-plated connection is spring-loaded and will provide a flush look to all atomizers.
The switch is very pleasant to handle and illuminates with a blue LED when it is requested. This switch is in tune with the finish of the mod. The sensation of perceived quality is very strong.
Attention for power-vapers: the maximum intensity of the mod is 16A continuously and 23 over a short period. We will avoid ultra-low resistance and Cloud Chasing. But who would think of doing this on an electro ???? 😉
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Indicators of operation
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The 40 rDNA is 25mm thick, which makes it compatible with all possible atomizer diameters below this value. I tested several dimensions and it goes quietly up to 23mm. Beyond, the chosen atomizer will overflow on the front of the mod, above the switch and will not ensure a flush aesthetic to your set-up. And, of course, beyond 25mm diameter, your atomizer will exceed everywhere !!!
The fact that the 510 connection is spring-mounted is a plus undeniable because it avoids many compatibility problems and especially "gap" between the chosen atomizer and the mod. The fact that, moreover, it is gold-plated, ensures in principle good conductivity and less power loss.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? We make fun of us!
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 1.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Well, here is the rub! The mod comes in a very plastic Innokin-like box that, if it is consistent, is not very rewarding. This is quite defensible on a mod 50 € but it is much less on a mod 175 €. I was not hoping for a solid gold case encrusted with diamonds but a stronger, more worked and more protective packaging could have been appreciated by the future buyers.
The notice is in agreement with the minimum service of the box. It is there but it is directly included on the box! There is no small profit, it is said .... Too bad for those who want to bring it with them for their first steps with this mod. Either they bring the box, or they depiautent to extract the checklist.
Moreover, although this manual explains the main features of the product, it would have been more pleasant to have also the specifications as well as some security warnings.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Total compliance with what we are entitled to expect from a mod at this rate. No incidents to report. The operation is very constant, the autonomy is good and we really appreciate the ability of the mod to recharge about twice as fast as another when using the charging function via the USB cable (provided, it's nice ...). Of course, you can also remove the battery from its location and charge it with a suitable charger. The grip is excellent and is suitable for multiple hand sizes. The contained size of the mod makes that your set can easily put away and moreover, it holds very well standing!
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 3
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomizer up to 23mm of section and having an 510 connection.
- Description of the test configuration used: rDNA + Taifun Gt, eXpromizer, HC, Kayfun 3.1 and various drippers ...
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: It will perfectly accompany any type of atomizer.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Here is a mod to 175 €! So we are here in the presence of a possible competitor against the Provari 3, Pipeline, Taifun Eyes and all High End electro mods sailing in this tariff area. Having contributed to the initiation of fashion box-mods that we are currently experiencing, the brand is very comfortable in this figure that she masters very well. The 40 rDNA presents well, looks solid and has a more comfortable grip than most competing references. A good point for him, besides it falls commercially at a point where electro tubes are no longer unanimous as was the case so far. I speak of course in terms of number of sales.
The chipset Evolv does not demerit and is very much up to the competition. The company proves its efficiency here by delivering reliable electronics, accepting very low resistances and sending a smooth signal like the buttocks of Scarlett Johansson to 40W and in a climate of great security. The V2 version seems to have erased all the defects of the V1 and, even if it remains to be verified over time, delivers a vape free of problems, sure and voluptuous, the American style.
It should be noted that you can opt, for twenty euros, for an optional induction charger that can recharge the mod without having to connect. And also that the mod can control the temperature of your coil, which is a great function, but only if you use non-resistive Nickel 200, which is less great .... We would have appreciated, but I admit to ignore if this is even possible, that this function is extended to several types of son.
An excellent mod that will be perfect for a daily vape, at work or on the go using of course an autonomous and efficient atomizer. Its limitation to 16A continuously may be problematic if used with too low resistance and power too high but it does not ignore this information, unlike other boxes that sell bewildering powers but silent finely the intensity that they can deliver.
In my opinion, the Vaporshark rDNA 40 has only one huge negative point: I have to give it back! 🙁
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.