- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: HappeSmoke
- Price of the tested product: 49.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable voltage electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 233W
- Maximum voltage: 7.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
HotCig offers the R233, a small box that I find particularly interesting. In addition to its successful appearance, this mod is compact, lightweight, clean and convenient.
The R233 is equipped with a potentiometer which allows to go up to 233W with a maximum voltage of 7.5V and a minimum resistance of 0.1Ω. The novelty lies in the leds that illuminate the facade under the switch. Although the box is devoid of screen, we know by this means approximately how much power we vape, the level of the battery is indicated and all this thanks to light codings simple to apprehend.
This box requires two 18650 format batteries that work in series to allow this power, but it requires the use of batteries with a minimum discharge current of 25A. I regret that the notice does not specify it, it should be mandatory. On the other hand, it is registered that the chipset is waterproof, particularity that I would not test, because I rarely vape under my shower.
The covers are removable and interchangeable with another optional model. The aluminum body is also proposed in black for those who would be interested.
Obviously all the security features are offered on the R233 and the coding of leds also informs you about the type of problems.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Product Width or Diameter in mms: 55 x 25
- Product Length or Height in mms: 90
- Product weight in grams: 108 without batteries and 200 grs with double batteries
- Material composing the product: Aluminum Alize
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Cultural Reference
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Plastic Adjustment Potentiometer
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
For the price, we will not expect to have the fingers of the titanium, but the assembly and materials of the product are very correct.
The two covers are fixed by four magnets each, the hold is firm and their opening is facilitated by the lug positioned on the bottom of the box, allowing to insert the nail to lift the plate. Both plates are black plastic, very light. They are also barely curved and have an original design that, once the two plates placed side by side, reveals a tribal face. The insertion of the batteries is very easy but only on one side. The removal is just as simple without even the need for a ribbon.
The body of the box is aluminum alloy, the empty weight of 108 grs does not deceive, this R233 is really lighter than some tubular mods. Its finish is smooth with a grainy visual appearance that does not fear traces. The plate of the 510 connection, in steel, is maintained by three small perfectly integrated screws but the diameter of this plate (16mm) remains insufficient to avoid the traces of "screwing / unscrewing" of the atomizer in the long term. The brass 510 connection is spring-loaded for a fully flush set-up.
The front panel offers a round black plastic switch and medium size, positioned near the top-cap. Below, there are three fine and vertical openings of different lengths, respectively: 12, 20 and 12mm, intended to integrate light effects that inform the power of vape. Below, there is a black potentiometer graduated in five positions. It handles very well with the nail, which avoids changing its voltage unexpectedly or even dragging a screwdriver permanently in the pocket. Under this potentiometer, 4 small holes equipped with green LEDs give the indications on the state of the battery.
Regarding the lights, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish those in the center of the box, as the green leds for the remaining energy autonomy are very visible.
The inside of the box is clean, well assembled, with very firm brass contacts. However, there are no joints that seal around the batteries. So, be careful: when you talk about the tightness of the chipset, it is against the flow of liquid that would pass through the pin 510 connection, do not go diving with, is not it?
Under the box, a serial number is visible. On the other hand, I did not find a vent to ventilate the chipset or the batteries in case of overheating.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Clear diagnostic messages, Operating light indicators
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The features of the R233 depend on the chipset. It is not maneuvered through a screen by buttons, but by a potentiometer that offers five positions.
Once translated, the features are clearer:
1. On Off:
When the battery is fully charged, the RGB (Red Green Blue) light flashes 3 times during power up. 5 clicks on the switch, the RGB light flashes 5 times and the device turns off. When the device is off, 5 clicks on the switch, the RGB light flashes 3 times and the box turns on. In standby mode, the RGB light displays a breathing state (slow flashing of the RGB lights), the light will turn off after 30s without operation.
2. Factory setting:
The potentiometer control knob is for setting the power. From position 1 to 2, the RGB light flashes green (10W- 60W), from 2 to 3, the RGB light flashes blue (61W-120W), from 3 to 4, the RGB light flashes in red (121W-180W), from 4 to 5, the RGB light flashes in multiple colors (181W-233W).
3. Alert tips:
- No atomizer (too weak / too high resistance): RGB light flashes 3 red times
- Short circuit: RGB light flashes 5 red times
- Check battery: RGB light flashes 4 red times
- Overheating: RGB light flashes 6 red times
- Low voltage: RGB light flashes 8 times in green
4. Battery charge:
100% power displayed at 4 indicators. 75% power displayed at 3 indicators. 50% power displayed at 2 indicators. 25% power displayed at 1 indicator. At low power, 1 indicator will flash 3 times.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The conditioning remains classic in a solid box and cardboard, the box is wedged on a foam post-formed.
This is accompanied by a user manual only in English and Chinese and a warranty certificate. In view of the tariff, the packaging is in perfect coherence.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Concretely, the various positions give us:
From I to II: from 1 to 2,7V
For a power of 10 to 60W ==> green light color
From II to III: from 2,7 to 4,2V
For a power of 61 to 120W ==> blue light color
From III to IV: from 4,2 to 5,9V
For a power of 121 to 180W ==> red light color
From IV to V: from 5,9 to 7,5V
For a power of 181 to 233W ==> all colors successively.
However, these values are highly dependent on resistance and only light offers a realistic view of the power of vape. For example, with a resistance of 0.6Ω, I positioned my cursor between II and III. My light stays green when I switch, between 10 and 60W, so I'm at 35W and my feeling confirms this power.
Therefore, the values of voltages and powers are provided for extreme conditions with a minimum resistance of 0.1Ω. The light gives a more precise information during the vape.
It is a sweet and smooth vape, without fluctuations, with a very responsive switch. The ergonomics adapt to small hands and the weight contributes to a great comfort during the handling as well as a practical transport.
However, the materials seem a little fragile in case of a fall.
The cable charging is not planned, so you will be forced to take out your batteries and use an external charger, which is always better for the life of your batteries. Of course, the R233 works strictly in a variable voltage mode.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Anyone with diameters up to 24mm
- Description of the test configuration used: With the Kylin in double coil for 0.6Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: There are none in particular
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Although the Oled screen is not essential for the accuracy of my vape, light indicators associated with the potentiometer are a good idea for a significant compromise and a visual judgment of the power delivered.
Said power will depend on your installation, we have here a box that works on variable voltage and the proposed positions are fixed voltage outputs.
Finally, Hotcig offers an effective visual on the state of charge of the battery. Very practical, the four small green leds are very bright and easily "decodable". Impossible to test on a loaned hardware but the chipset is supposed to be leakproof liquid that fit into the body of the mod.
Overall, I loved this R233 which offers a good compromise between boxes "pots" without Hexohm type interface or Surric and electronic mods with an Oled screen. A minimalist visual about our power / voltage values, but terribly efficient and sufficient. As well as a practical visual coding for the insured securities.
The box remains globally a mid-range product with sufficient materials but not exceptional quality so, again, watch out for falls. For the price, it's more than correct because at the level of the vape, the rendering is excellent and the disconcerting ease of use adapts to all vapers.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.