- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The little vaper
- Price of the tested product: 59.90 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 85W
- Maximum voltage: 8.5V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Tesla, it is the Chinese brand that comes out of rather cheap products some of which meet with commercial success. One of their latest productions to have enjoyed some success with fans of steampunk style is the Punk 220 W double 18650.
When you have a good product, you make some variations. The first "Spin-off" to see the day is a mini version. It takes again of course the same aesthetic ornaments. The Punk mini 85w, as its name suggests, can reach 85W on an 18650 battery.
A box in the same spirit but more compact, at a reasonable price. So, see more in detail this mini version.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30
- Product Length or Height in mm: 89
- Product weight in grams: 200
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Our Punk Mini is the perfect copy of his big sister but smaller. Its taut lines and sharp angles give a massive look to the box. This design is quite masculine but this compact version seems better armed to seduce the fairer sex. It will still take into consideration a significant weight of 200g.
Both sides are clad in clear polycarbonate plates that show cogs, tubing and a grid that is reminiscent of a "grille" car that lets the light of the colorful LEDs that it hides and spreads activate when we shoot.
The whole is rather harmonious even if the molded steampunk elements give it a look a little cheap.
The slices seem to have been "carved" in an antique style, much like columns. On one of them, there is a round metal fire button of good quality, a small screen, and commands +/-, two buttons, they too, metal but square. The micro-usb port is found as often positioned near the base on the same side.
On the top-cap is the deck equipped with 510 port to accommodate the atomizer. The latter seems solid and can receive atomizers up to 25mm in diameter, without risk of overflow.
Under the base, a small sliding hatch gives access to the housing of the 18650 battery.
The quality is satisfactory given the price and the look is original even if I find that this type of Chinese production inspired by the universe steampunk is terribly lacking authentic.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course, Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages, Indicator lights Operating
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The home chipset is able to reach the 85W. It embeds essential functions to a current electronic box.
For starters, we have a variable power mode adjustable by 0.5W slice using the +/- buttons. The resistors must have a value between 0.1 and 3Ω and will be compatible with all types of cable by choosing the kanthal mode to activate it.
Then comes the temperature control mode. The selected temperature will be between 100 and 300 ° C. The compatible resistors must have a value between 0.05 and 1Ω. This mode can be used with SS316, Titanium and Ni200.
A TCR mode, it allows you to choose another resistive which will find the heating coefficient to implement it on the interface of the box.
The chipset can also manage the profile of your puff. There are three predefined curves, hard, soft, and normal but we can also define a fully customizable curve on the ten seconds of the puff and, I say, without using an external software.
The box can save up to three vape configurations which will be particularly useful for those who use the TCR mode.
At the safety level, no problem, cut off at ten seconds, protection against short-circuit, reversing of the battery pole.
A box well equipped, able to satisfy the greatest number even if we must not forget that it embarks only one battery.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Our little Punk 85w has a white box with a rather simple appearance. On the lid, there is a golden engraving like that of the box. This representation is like "framed" by gear wheels in relief positioned in the corners. On the other faces, we find the brand and a temperature control logo inspired by the steampunk universe.
The back is, as always, devoted to the description of the content and legal notices.
The box is wedged in a dense foam plate below which we find the manual (translated into French), the USB cable and the note on the precautions of use of a battery 18650.
A presentation a little too simplistic for my taste but which is entirely consistent with the tariff position.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
This Punk mini offers good ergonomics, its size allows it to find its place easily in your hand. The controls are nice and the switch falls perfectly under the finger. Only its weight for a simple 18650 just slightly tarnish this cliché almost ideal.
As for the control of the beast, Tesla did in the classic. Five clicks to turn the box on or off and three clicks to enter the menu. The buttons +/-, besides allowing to vary the power or the temperature, serve to navigate in the menu. It is with the switch that will validate the choices.
Classic easy to tackle, we take it in hand in a few minutes.
Regarding the autonomy, in cool use at 18 / 20W, we have a small day. As soon as we go up in the watts, it will be necessary to always have one or two batteries in the bag (do not forget to go out covered, I speak of the batteries).
The battery change shows no major problem, it will just be careful not to drop the lid of the hatch because it is completely independent of the box.
Come on in the vape, the chipset works really well. The ability to build puff propels it alongside the best. Tesla is living up to the reputation it has managed to achieve with its first small successes.
A box rather comfortable in everyday use, especially if you appreciate the style of the object.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Whatever you like within the limits of 25mm
- Description of the test configuration used: With Ares in simple kanthal / cotton fitting. Resistance to 1Ω / Govad RTA alien mount to 0.30Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: I see it well with an ato rather wise as a Flave for example
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I already see those who will hate me for putting a note below 4 at their favorite box. I plead guilty, I did not fall in love with his design and the feeling of quality does not flatter me the ego.
The drawing is a little heavy, I understand the spirit but I think it still lacks a touch of character.
The steampunk side "molded", frankly, I'm not a fan even if I think that the idea of polycarbonate walls almost manages to save the furniture. In addition I have under the eyes the coppered version with this aged and varnished look that reinforces for me this feeling a little "knock".
So yes, it is nice to use, it is easy to control, it offers a very nice vape and ergonomics is quite good, even if its weight is still consistent for a simple 18650.
Ok, I do a lot but it remains that if you are like me, refractory to this look "steamcheap", you can not ignore.
A good box on the technical level but that will not seduce everyone, in any case, not me.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.