- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Wholesaler Francochine
- Price of the tested product: 75.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 220 watts
- Maximum voltage: 7.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
After a Nano 120, a Touch and the WYE that were and still are pretty successful commercial, Teslacigs continues its path to glory by proposing a new box, the Punk 220W. No need to bring out your old Vinyls of Sex Pistols and other Clash or Ramones, the box has Punk only the name and draws more from the aesthetic Steampunk dear to Jules Vernes than safety pins and kilts plaid of the insolent and enjoyable British musical current. And it's so much better for him to become a vape because you know that the motto of the ridge fans was "No Future"!
Proposed around 76 €, the Punk sends 220W with two 18650 batteries and is available in three colors. The first oscillates between brushed aluminum and gun metal, the second is bronze and the last rather copper. What to satisfy metal lovers, a shame for a box punk!
Presenting all the modes of operation in vogue, the Punk is thus affirmed as being up to date and, if its aesthetics brings it a little closer to its elder the Nano and will make furious during your next concert of Mötorhead (Lemmy's not Dead!), Its behavior vape aligns on the current production of powerful and autonomous boxes, compatible with almost all the atomizers of the market.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30
- Product Length or Height in mm: 86
- Product weight in grams: 374
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy, ABS, PC
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? Yes
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Once again, a beautiful aesthetic effort was made on Punk by the brand that has often been illustrated by the past in this area. The box presents taut lines and sharp angles, witnesses of a desire to impose a massive and very "masculine" design. On the sides, polycarbonate windows let glimpse a worked interior, presenting cogs and other decorations typical of the steampunk set. The whole remains harmonious and quite discreet because the material was tinted to avoid a visual ease that would have been too obvious. Some may regret it but, personally, I find it successful.
The design goes hand in hand with a very correct finish. The materials used are of good quality and communicate a perceived quality clearly oriented towards the upper segment. The zinc alloy has been particularly worked and the brushed finish is very sensual, giving the box a nice look. The smoked polycarbonate is very well assembled on the frame and, even if fingerprints will make their nest, fits perfectly to the whole, both aesthetically and qualitatively. Some ABS parts are present inside the box as on the inside of the battery door but their discretion makes the persistent impression leans rather on the metallic side.
Printing corroborated by a significant weight that will destine our mod to a solid hand that will not interfere. However, Punk does not display outrageous dimensions, showing itself in the low average of the volumes occupied by the double battery boxes.
If the two sides of the box are totally devolved to the artistic expression, the main facade presents us a screen Oled readable and clear, monochrome, which overhangs a metal switch whose handling is flexible and "clicky". It will easily pass on the fact that the button moves a little in its enclave because this fact does not pose any problem to the use.
Below the screen sit three buttons to act on the visual interface. The first, circular, allows to vary the illumination by leds of different colors from the inside of the box. Here is a gadget which, personally, I would have done well but I know people like this type of show "steam and light" so I will abstain from any judgment. Especially since the function is disengaged. The buttons [+] and [-] sit on the bottom of the facade and are reactive and voluntary.
On the top-cap, there is a connection plate in form of gear whose positive pin, spring, is brass. On the bottom-cap, a hatch to access the housing of the batteries is presented to us. Using a sliding system of slides, it takes off quite easily. For the repositioning, on the other hand, it is a little more laborious, it is necessary to insert the elements and push against the poles of the batteries to find the closed position. Nothing very complex but other more "natural" systems exist. The hatch accommodates four vents that will, if necessary, effective degassing in case of problems.No vent is provided for the cooling of the chipset but, in use, the box does not heat.
A very positive assessment that illustrates a qualitative box on a physical plane.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The proprietary chipset remains well in the spirit of the usual Teslacig productions. Being able to send 220W, it presents different modes of operation which we will detail:
The variable power mode:
Adjustable by the [+] and [-] buttons in steps of 0.5W, this mode can be used on a scale of resistance ranging from 0.1 to 3Ω and will concern, contrary to the idea conveyed by the lexical choices of the brand, all types resistive and not just the kanthal.
The temperature control mode:
It can go from 100 to 300 ° C, this mode will operate from 0.05Ω and up to 1Ω for the following resistive: SS316, titanium and Ni200. A parallel TCR mode will implement other types of resistive (NiFe, NiCr, different SS category ...) by entering their heating coefficient. A table is provided in the manual to do this and, for the types of missing wires, a simple search on the internet will enlighten you.
The mode of taste:
Although the house terminology here is quite elusive, we have a standard module to adjust the response of the output curve, either according to presets already established (Hard, Soft, Normal) or customizable (User). This allows you to cut a vape signal on 10 seconds according to your desires with either a boosted signal on the first seconds of the puff to wake a montage a little slow or the opposite to avoid a possible dry-hit.
Five clicks on the switch will block it by putting the device in bypass and five new clicks will have the opposite effect by relighting the box.
Three clicks on the switch allow access to the various menus in which it will be easy to navigate by the [+] and [-] buttons. These manipulations are now fairly standardized on the market and, if you are used to juggling other boxes, you will not be disoriented.
The usual protections are all at the rendezvous, thus ensuring a safe use. Do not forget to use batteries of the same brand, with the same autonomy and the same age, delivering a CDM of about 35A, the Punk can deliver an output intensity of 50A, it will be necessary for you to avoid any disappointment in the case of the use of very low resistances.
The chipset has three memory allocations or you can store three different profiles to save your settings in all their complexity: power, TCR, temperature, output curve ...
The button to change the configuration of the internal light signals by leds gives you access to five possibilities and an OFF mode.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging does not call for any particular comments. A white cardboard box welcomes at its summit a golden engraving of the box. At the four corners of the cover, there are embossed prints of wheels, just to put us in the warm atmosphere of the box immediately.
Comes with a USB / Micro USB cable for charging, the Punk abstains from other accessories and it's perfect like that, homogeneous and fitting with the price claimed.
Note the presence of a polyglot record that will serve us a little academic French but correct, at least enough to discover the box in all its states. Nothing to say !
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, we find what makes Teslacigs is going from an obscure Chinese pharmacy to a big builder. Indeed, the chipset, not content to align the same possibilities as the biggest in the field, also seduces by its rendering. A compact vape, well drawn, generous and easy to modulate to find SA vape. What more ?
Already, during the exits of the previous models, the most beautiful ones had noted a big qualitative leap forward, as well on the cosmetic plan as on a technical level. The Punk ends up convincing us and, for those of you who are numerous, who would have cracked on the WYE, you will find yourself on familiar ground. The vape, modular at will, has nothing to envy to the best and, if we do not necessarily find the accuracy of a chipset Evolv or Yihie, we are well on the way and the rendering is up to the situation .
The grip is quite pleasant and non-penalizing to use, even if the weight may be a brake for some. On the other hand, the autonomy is good and, with measured power, you have for a whole cloudy day in front of you, including if you use and abuse Christmas lights proposed by the leds. Good news to take with all the same tweezers, it is obvious that if you steam 100W on a mount 0.1Ω, you will have less time ... Especially that the cutie has under the hood and sends his watts like a real punk who pogote in the pit.
Special mention for protections, many and wise that will allow everyone to play with the possibilities of the box without being smoking fingers, provided that you take out your most secure batteries for use.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Vapor Giant Mini V3, Kayfun 5, Coil Master Ray, Narda, Leto
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: An RTA or RDTA whose diameter is less than or equal to 24mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Punk 220 avoids the Top Mod of a hair and this, for political reasons. Indeed, first of all I noticed that I always put tops to the mods of Tesla and that some will perhaps begin to think that I am corrupted by the mark ... 😉 (I am way too expensive for them) and then, having never visited London, I do not want to be repressed by the police on the pretext that I would have praised the Punk movement, so hostile to our dear Queen ....
But this mod is still a Top in my heart. For its different plastic rounded finery or "sports" lines of competition, for its universe Steampunk assumed and its operation, er ... royal!
A passion purchase that has no trap, a box that sends what it promises, for a price all suited. And another stone in the garden of a manufacturer who tries, by a beautiful breakaway, to overcome the pack of followers to make their way onto the final podium. Well done, thank you Gégé, to you the studios ...
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.