- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Jwell
- Price of the tested product: 99 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.2
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Jwell is one of the oldest French brands of vaping products. After some commercial failures because of equipment not always very reliable and often too expensive, the brand had to improve its image "so chic" with the vapoteurs of the hexagon.
No problem, we boost the R & D department to design new products, here in France and we find a Chinese partner for manufacturing. Here are the main lines of the specifications.
Thus was born the Onyx, mod-box of beautiful appearance, accompanied by its clearomiser: the J-Mini Xl.
A well designed box, powered by home electronics and equipped with a clearomiser equipped with new resistors manufactured in partnership with Fiber Freaks.
Will the bet win?
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 37
- Product Length or Height in mms: 89
- Product weight in grams: 135
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The first contact with this kit leaves a very good impression. An aluminum box, wrapped in a soft touch silicone layer, with a very pleasant touch and a good grip.
When the clearomizer, it has a very nice appearance, a tank Pyrex and stainless steel, a matte black finish and gun metal and uses the new resistors BTC / R.
An elegant kit with the perfect finish, the story starts well.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Let's start with the box. It is equipped with a completely modified "house" electronics, aiming to improve the user experience. It has two SS316, Ni200 and titanium compatible temperature control modes and a standard variable power mode.
The two temperature control modes are called respectively: Temperature Control and Temperature Limitation.
The first, the temperature control, is an "automatic" mode. Indeed, it will automatically adjust the power of the box depending on your resistance and the temperature you have previously selected.
The second mode, the temperature limitation mode, is a "manual" mode since it will allow you to adjust power and temperature separately to refine your settings.
For the insertion of the battery, it is underneath that it happens. Direct and effective access by a hand-screwing wheel as on the Sx mini.
And to ensure flawless flushitude, the connector is spring loaded.
For the clearomizer, named J-Mini Xl, we have a non-rebuildable atomizer using the new home resistors, the BTC / R, available in three standard models of 0.5Ω, 1Ω and 1.6Ω in kanthal plus a Ni200 version for the TC.
These new resistors are built in collaboration with Fiber Freaks and are fully compatible with Kangertech's Subtank.
The clearomizer offers a filling from the top by unscrewing the split top / cap in two parts. The airflow is largely adjustable allowing direct suction for practicing enthusiasts, a comfortable capacity of 4 ml and a gold-plated connection.
A very good kit in short, composed of elements chosen with intelligence.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Conditioning is a model of its kind. It is first a beautiful cardboard box covered with black fabric in which you will find a USB cable for charging, two resistors for the J-Mini Xl (a 0.5Ω kanthal and a Ni200), a complete French / English manual explaining absolutely all the features of the box and, of course, the Onyx box with its clearomiser J-mini Xl.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Well, that's where it gets a bit complicated. The box has only one button. This last turns on itself for the navigation between the menus and is more clickable for the shoot and the validation of the parameters.
If the idea is most ingenious, the roulette function is, in my opinion, not enough braking, too flexible rolling. A simple touch on the latter is enough to change your power settings. I also had surprises many times because of this damn knob and I had to take the habit of checking the power of the box before taking a taff. Not easy.
I think a simple electronic power lock would have been welcome.
The second thing that routed me for several hours is the screen. If the display style chosen changes a bit of what is usually seen, it becomes confusing in menus or you lose visibility and understanding. It will take some time for the handling but you will be helped by the very complete manual.
For the rest, nothing to report. The power is available without latency and the electrical signal is perfectly smooth. An excellent rendering.
For the clearomizer, there is the total foot! An adjustable airflow at will, easy filling, a suitable capacity and an exemplary rendering. The new BCT / R heads are impressive. The rendering is so bluffing that one could think oneself equipped with a reconstructible typed flavor. The work of Fiber freaks is surely not for nothing;).
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? No rules, you get what you want, the box will do the work.
- Description of the test configuration used: several types of atomizers with different resistances.
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: No rules, it's as you want.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Well, I must admit that when I was offered to test the Jwell, I was not very excited, but as our motto says, I had to test this material to inform you while putting aside my priori. Well, I did well!
If I have experienced some small inconvenience to the use of the box due to the flexibility of the switch / wheel, I must recognize him a certain class and a flawless finish.
In its black livery and its "soft touch" coating, it does not go unnoticed. It is clear that she has the mouth, this Onyx!
Once the menu system is learned and understood, the settings become obvious. Only this roulette wheel, which goes out of the way at the first touch, remains a little across my throat. A simple power lock, such as a double click, could have made the user experience perfect.
But the most surprising thing about this set is the clearomizer. A first-class physique, top-of-the-line performance, easy filling and comfortable fit. All powered by the new BTC / R heads manufactured in collaboration with Fiber freaks.
Since we are talking about heads (and we will also finish on them), they are fully compatible with Subtanks, effectively replacing OCC heads and proposed at a very good price of 13 € pack 5. Even if, for once, I will not crack on this kit (it's not the desire that is missing), I will surely crack on the BTC / R to restart my Subtanks that take the dust so much the difference quality is amazing.
Thanks again to Jwell for the loan of this very classy "French Touch" kit.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.