- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: J WELL
- Price of the tested product: 99 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.2
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
J WELL has decided to tackle the different growth markets in the vape. With this kit Onyx, J WELL offers his interpretation of the box bombinette, ie the muscular compact. It is therefore a single-battery box (18650), which can reach 75W, and which embeds the TC (Temperature Control). A premium price oriented positioning, the kit is just one step below the 100 €.
This box category is currently dominated by the eVic VTC mini which displays a lower price of 30 €, in kit version e-Tron.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 37
- Product Length or Height in mms: 89
- Product weight in grams: 135
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor type: Classic box - VaporShark type (Mini and rounded edges)
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The onyx is therefore a compact box and rather light. His design is, I think, particularly successful. An elongated ovoid shape, wrapped in a trapezium, here is in summary a description of its lines that marry rounded shape and more taut lines. A classy and harmonious result. The trapezoidal part is covered with a matte soft silicone coating of the most comfortable in my case, since I have the model that I would call all black.
The bottom and top cap them, have a more traditional glossy metallic black paint.
One of the faces is deeply marked by the name of the box. One of the sides is rounded to fit the palm of the hand, and the other side is interrupted to receive the OLED screen, and the knob.
The fire button is at the same time the control knob [+] and [-], in effect, it is pressed to shoot and it turns left or right to make the settings. It is very well done, does not suffer from any game, it is just a little too flexible in its rotary attachment.
The pin is floating, and the 510 screw pitch is more correct. The bottom cap welcomes, of course, the access door to the battery which takes the form of a capsule equipped with a thread, well designed, it removes without worry with the fingers. There is also the bottom cap micro USB port.
The Jmini XL (the clearo) is also pleasing to the eye, the black body of the tank is pierced by trapezoidal windows which remind of course the drawing of the box. The top cap and the air flow ring are both striated around their circumference to provide good grip. The drip tip plastic sees its base team of a metal ring, way heat sink, there also no fault of major taste, if it is not, the difference of hue between the bottom of clearo in raw metal , and the top in slightly tinted metal.
A product well done overall, I must admit that I am rather delighted by this Onyx, it also charms most people who vapotent in my environment, whether girls, like boys.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The Onyx ships a proprietary chipset that is able to handle 3 vape modes. A typical VW wattage mode, operating over a range of 3 to 75W. A wattage mode coupled with a temperature limitation, in which you set a max temperature, which will never be exceeded regardless of the power you select. And finally, a temperature control mode that will accept fixtures / resistors: Titanium, Ni200 and SS (Stainless Steel).
The box is equipped with a complete arsenal of protections, it poses no security problem.
The OLED display shows you the power, or the temperature depending on the mode, the resistance value, the instantaneous voltage, and the remaining charge of the battery in the form of a pictogram and in percentage. It is readable, except perhaps in some menus a little complex, in this case, the information looks like an Aztec script.
In summary a complete box, which embarked most of the functions in vogue, J WELL forgets yet again the TCR, and when we aim at the high-end, that we adopt a high price, this kind of detail can spot .
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
J WELL masters the design and presentation. The pack is presented in a beautiful box covered with black fabric, the lid remains closed thanks to a magnet system. Inside, the box, the clearo with two resistors, the USB cable and a notice in French. J WELL affirms with this packaging, its desire to join the high-end brands and this packaging is up to par.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
In use, the box is very attractive. Compact, it slips easily into a pocket. The vape she offers is very nice, the ergonomics are very good. Navigating the menus can be a little confusing, but the French manual will help you and you can master it.
The only real dark spot comes from the lack of lock of the power selector. The wheel is very flexible and you will change your settings accidentally. It is very heavy in the long run, a simple double click with the button to neutralize the wheel would be enough for example.
The clearomizer that accompanies it fills up without harm, even if the hole is a little hair for some pipettes. The capacity of 4ml is correct. The big plus of this clearo is the resistances developed with Fiber Freaks which offer a very correct rendering of flavors. The air flow adjustment is simple and effective.
A seductive and homogeneous set, but strongly that J WELL solves worry with the wheel.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? what you want as long as the diameter is less than or equal to 23
- Description of the test configuration used: Onyx + JminiXL, gsl
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: the kit as is working well but you will use your favorite ato
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Onyx pleases me a lot, it is well designed, it combines beauty and ergonomics. The electronics work perfectly and offer a vape of quality. Associated with the JminiXL, the kit does the job perfectly and is able to attract the greatest number. Of course the beautiful just ask to associate with your favorite atomizer. Even his main flaw, the soft wheel, did not succeed in damaging my enthusiasm.
I can crack for it, if the price was scaled twenty euros. But let's be clear, if money is not an obstacle for you, let yourself be tempted by this box, which I am sure will become your best ally everyday.
Thank you, J WELL
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.