- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 119.93 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: 6
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The box ONI 133 is a creation of Starss, Chinese brand rather specialized in design and engineering, distributed by Asmodus. Also called "Oni Player 133", this box is powered by a chipset DNA200, well known and appreciated by geeks of the vape.
It has a technical feature that can be interesting: the ability to switch between the battery pair 18650, originally implemented, and a pack of three LiPo cells, depending on your choice. By using 18650 batteries, you will be able to use 133W on the 200 chipset and by switching to LiPo and tampering with the famous Escribe software, you will be able to reach the full power.
Offered at a price below 120 €, the ONI is therefore positioned in the low average for devices powered by Evolv.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 29
- Product Length or Height in mm: 89
- Product weight in grams: 264
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, 3D printing
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Medium, the button makes noise within its enclave
- Number of parts in the product: 5
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, the ONI presents well, mixing classicism and modernity.
Indeed, if the body is worked in an aircraft grade T6061 aluminum that has very good and augurs a very good performance over time, it adds some parts obtained by printing 3D, as the facade including the screen and the control buttons and a room located inside to delimit the battery cradle but whose edge appears on the outside edge, for a very nice black and red result.
You should know that it is possible to change the printed parts in 3D, cradle frame and facade, with optional parts to change the color of your box. Similarly, it is available in other basic colors such as a chrome and black version.
At the manufacturing level, we are on a well-fitting and well-finished object. Some, including myself, will find the finish of 3D print parts a little rough, the textured finish typical of this production method. But it is objective to note that the whole gives off a perceived quality very correct.
The plastic buttons, switch and controls [+] and [-], are consistent, even if they float a little in their respective slots. Nothing unacceptable however because it does not affect their operation. The switch is precise and pleasant enough to use.
The typical DNA OLED screen is efficient and informative and will display a lot of information if you personalize it with Evolv's customization software: Write.
The magnetic cover providing access to the battery cradle is especially well thought out because it has three magnets in relief that must fit into three guides containing the paired magnets in the background. So you have to force a little for the implementation but also say that it does not move a hair when it is installed!
A small flat very easy to solve: the cloth tab used to extract the batteries is too long and tends to protrude from the hood. I advise you a good chisel to fit the right size. Couic!
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Supports the personalization of its behavior by external software, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accu Compatibility: LiPo, 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are proprietary / Not applicable, 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function passthrough? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Equipped with the famous Evolv DNA200 chipset, the ONI takes all the features and features.
With variable power mode or temperature control and the many possibilities offered by Escribe customization, there's plenty to have fun for the most geeks of us and get a truly unique vape your expectations.
Rather than detailing the operation of Escribe for the umpteenth time or the possibilities offered by this now well-known chipset, I prefer to refer you to our previous reviews or we have already covered the subject: here, here, here or even here.
On the other hand, it is important to understand the typical functioning of the ONI box. As we have seen, it can be powered by two 18650 batteries or an optional LiPo pack. As the manufacturer has chosen to deliver its box in the first configuration, the power of the chipset is clamped to 133W and its voltage to 6V so as not to over-solicit batteries that could not under any circumstances ensure the possible 200W.
The exploitation of 200W DNA becomes possible if the battery system is changed by the LiPo pack recommended by the founder, the FullyMax FB900HP-3S available on the Evolv website at this page for a price of about 19 €. In this case, one benefits from the 11V of tension and, with the help of Escribe, one can unlock the chipset to take advantage of the maximum power and the corresponding intensity of 27A continuously and 54A in crete, intensity that of the batteries 18650 could not assume.
Changing the type of diet is very easy to do, for once. Just remove the magnetic cover and the batteries in a first step. In a second step, you unclip the interior part in 3D printing. This is done slowly, without straining violently to avoid breaking the coin but it comes after a while by gently doing the trick with your fingernail or a flat screwdriver. Once done, you have full access inside the box and you view the chipset, the battery cradle and the connection.
Then remove the cradle, being careful not to pull on the connection cable. Once removed, unplug the pins to disengage once for all the cradle of the chipset. Then, insert the connection pin of your LiPo battery in the same place. All you have to do is install the soft pack inside the box and reposition the 3D print hold part.
It's simple and, if you follow these steps, you do not risk accidental breakage.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A black cardboard box can be seen through a clear plastic window box located on the first floor.
Below you will find the instructions, the warranty certificate and a USB / Micro-USB charging and upgrading cable. The record is in English, very verbose and inaccurate and ignores the explanation of the use of Escribe, as is often the case. This will require you to familiarize yourself with this complete but complex software by helping you if necessary dedicated forums.
The packaging is honest but the notice, singularly literary and not very technical would have deserved a more direct treatment, supported by graphics to allow non-English speakers to find their way more simply.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
To allow an optimal use of the product, it is necessary to understand that the limitation to 6V induced by the power supply by the two 18650 causes certain impasses in its capacities.
For example, if you use a dripper mounted in 0.28Ω and you request a power of 133W, the chipset will not be able to reach it because with a voltage of 6V for a resistance of 0.28Ω, you will be bound to 128W. The box will still work but will regulate so as not to exceed the maximum voltage and will warn you that your resistance is too high.
In any case, you can only get the 133W with a resistance lower than 0.27Ω. With 0.40Ω, you will get a maximum of 90W for example.
However, to be quite honest, these limitations will be quite rare and quite out of the ordinary right now or you calculate well the optimal resistance for a good operation ato / box.
To avoid this and take advantage of the full capacity of the chipset, you will have to go through the purchase and installation (easy anyway) of a LiPo battery.
Apart from this problem which is not really a problem, the ONI works as one would expect from a mod powered by an excellent chipset. Vape rendering very precise and impeccably smoothed, proven reliability, enough to indulge whatever your choice of battery with a voluptuous and dense vape in variable power mode as in temperature control.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of atomizer
- Description of the test configuration used: Saturn, Taifun GT3, Nautilus X, Vapor Giant Mini V3
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: An RDTA with a resistance between 0.5 and 1.2
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
ONI 133 is a good product, but it does give some thought to the possibility of switching between two power systems.
Indeed, we can absolutely decide to stay with the 18650 if your style of vape accommodates limitations and that you steam serenely in high powers but "normal". But, in this case, I find the width of the product (69mm) a little excessive for a "simple" double battery.
If you decide to opt for a LiPo system, you will be able to take advantage of all the chipset's capabilities and vaper as you wish but, in this case, the price increases since you will have to proceed to the purchase of the battery and the ONI thus equipped will be at the same price as the other boxes DNA200 market.
The choice can be made based on a successful aesthetic and the very correct finish, not forgetting, of course, the quality of the engine DNA200.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.