- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 229 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 12
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Pipeline is one of the references in the field of high-end electronic mods. He built his reputation on his first and second tubular mod, the Pipeline 1 and 2, which are still today the only regulated electronic mods that send a flat AC signal.
But now, tubular electronic mods are now a thing of the past and it is the boxes that crystallize all the attention of the market. After a long gestation (too long can be), Dicodes and Pipeline have finally launched on this sector with two boxes: the Eight and the Nine.
For today, it is the Nine that I am entrusted for a test. With a price of 229 € (excluding batteries), this box is really in the high-end and the price of the watt (I like this report indicative) and 3,8 € where the Chinese boxes display a rate 10 times lower . So, do we break the piggy bank?
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 30
- Product Length or Height in mms: 80.5
- Product weight in grams: 271
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Flange
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of interface button (s): Good, flush button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Nine adopts an original design, the name indicates that the shape is inspired by the 9 number. Now, for me, it could be a painter's palette or a kind of bean (there, I push a little). So we have a drawing all curve that can lighten the massive appearance of the box. The measurements are 80,5mm high, 54 mm wide, 30mm in its thickest part (the one hosting the 26650 battery) and finally, 23mm in its thinnest part (the one that receives the atomizer). It seems well proportioned but it is clear that we are not on the compact.
The assembly and the materials are irreproachable. 1.4305 stainless steel and anodized aluminum reflect an undeniable feeling of great quality. Everything is perfectly assembled and does not suffer from any lack of adjustment.
The OLED screen is placed next to the 510 pin on the top-cap. This same 510 pine is beryllium copper for better conductivity and the thread is, of course, perfect.
The bottom-cap, it, hosts the access door to the battery that takes the form of a flat cap that we screw or unscrew with a coin. The thread is, here too, nickel.
To finish: the buttons. The fire button is well made, it bears the logo of the brand but we can regret two things. First, the disappearance of the excellent button of the Pipeline Pro and second, the button turns on itself, the logo is never in place and it does not stick with the spirit of the rest. The buttons are of good quality but a bit noisy.
All in all, we can only appreciate the legendary German quality and it is difficult to find real defects. At the same time, this is not extraordinary considering the tariff. It's just, in my opinion, normal.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, variable overheat protection of atomizer resistors, temperature control of atomizer resistors, display brightness adjustment, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 26650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging by AC adapter sold separately
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
This box offers a lot of functions and settings. Here is the exhaustive list:
- From 5W to 60W for the power range.
- Output current of 20A.
- Adjustable positive spring-mounted stud.
- OLED screen.
- Temperature control (possible with different resistive wires).
- Heat protection mode.
- Power Boost Mode.
- Bypass mode (unregulated but electronically protected against overloads).
- Possible setting of the cut-off voltage of the battery from 2,5V to 3V.
- Measurement of the resistance.
- Display of the battery voltage under atomizer charge.
- Brightness of the adjustable screen.
- Stealth mode, screen off.
- Setting and displaying the scrolling speed of the menu.
- Setting the sleep timer.
- Measurement of the battery capacity.
- Information menu.
- Resistance range of the supported atomizer: from 0,05 to 5Ω.
- Resistance range of the atomizer supported at 60W: from 0,15 to 2,4Ω.
- Reverse polarity protection.
- Overheating protection.
- Load connector under mod (for docking station not included)
Everything works perfectly well. No USB port, but a contact installed in a bottom-cap cavity and which allows recharging by a dock not provided.
No bad surprise, but no revolution either, it's serious Pipeline as we like with a multitude of possibilities.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The box is presented in a beautiful metal box bearing the logo of the brand. The box is wedged in a foam.
The note could have been better because the packaging is very correct, but what plumbs it is once again, the lack of record. It must be downloaded on the site, it is still a bit limited, especially when we see Chinese products, lower range, which offer translated records in French. I will also add that we have the box, no battery, no reloading system, it's a little rough for 229 €!
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
A Pipeline mod is not necessarily easy to understand at the level of settings and menus. At the menu level, there are always as many but the arrival of the buttons [+] and [-] makes the thing more digestible, once swallowed the five pages of the manual that you download.
The clutter, and I'll add, the urge to preserve your expensive toy will push you to carry it in your bag.
The battery is accessible, the Germans have bet on a simple and durable in time, by adopting the screw cap, but some will see perhaps a side a little outdated and daring.
At the level of autonomy, the box holds well in cool use, from 5 to 25W, but from 40W on a Griffin-like atomizer in double Clapton coil, the autonomy of the battery goes down quickly.
The screen is readable and, of course, the quality of vape is still attractive, although it is clear that this feature is losing ground against the undeniable progress of Chinese competitors in particular.
The only downside for me, the left-handed is ergonomics. Perfect for a right-handed person, the left-handed person is sentenced to shoot with the thumb. Personally, I'm not a fan and I have appreciated an adaptable or specific model.
A good box, which once set according to your tastes, will bring you a super quality vape.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 26650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? What you like as long as the diameter is less than 23 mm
- Description of the test configuration used: Griffin double clapton coil, Kaifun 4 mounted to an ohm, and the Squape x
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: it is you who see, note that the resistive wire recommended for the TC is the NiFe30
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Here, the Nine harvest of course a good note. It's impossible not to emphasize the almost irreproachable quality of the product.
The vape is still nice and the many settings more manageable thanks to the arrival of buttons [+] and [-].
The design is successful even if it does not offer perfect ergonomics for all, left-handed have been a little forgotten on this one.
The only problem is that this box comes at a time when the Chinese and Americans have already shared the lion's share, in all tariff sectors. I think that the gap between the different brands is decreasing and the German Pipeline has only its guarantee of two years to really stand out.
So I can not tell you that this box is bad or that it is not worth the asking price. I still love the sensations that brings this chipset AC, but I think only aficionados of the brand will pay this luxury, because at 3,80 € euro, the watt would have hoped perhaps more daring and performance.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.