- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: The Little Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 55 €
- Product category based on sales price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 230W
- Maximum voltage: 7.5V
- Minimum value in ohms of resistance for a start: 0.1Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Dovpo is a well-known brand of Geeks who love pretty sharp products with original and above all cheap designs.
This new Nickel seems, at first glance, to respect the specifications. Double 18650, max power 230W and quite original look.
So let's see more precisely this "little" news.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Product Diameter in mm: 28 X 56,6
- Product Length or Height in mm: 90.6
- Product weight in grams: 210
- Materials composing the product: Zinc Alloy, PC.
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
La Nickel looks like a pretty massive box. This paver of zinc alloy and polycarbonate offers lines cut to the billhook of which it emerges a certain "electronic bestiality".
The tile sees its four angles "broken" but the other edges remain tense.
Both facades are dressed in blue polycarbonate in my case, it gives relief while allowing to slightly reduce the weight of the beast. In a sort of lateral cartridge and in a silver font, the mark finds its place on one of the faces while on the other, it is the name of the box that one finds in this same space.
One of its facades is removable and gives access to the double battery compartment.
On one of the slices, a small relief serves as a frame to accommodate the Oled screen and +/- buttons. On the upper part of this same side, a large hexagonal button in chromed metal serves as a switch.
In contrast, in the low position, there is the micro-USB port.
The other section is decorated with three grids that could be reminiscent of a ventilation system.
The top cap receives the 510 pin in eccentric position.
The box is generally satisfactory, the paint seems quite resistant, the finishes are of good quality, the value for money seems good.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course, Display of the power of the current vape, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
La Nickel is a 18650 dual box capable of balancing 230W.
There is, of course, a variable power mode and the usual temperature control modes Ti, SS, Ni200 and TCR.
A single range of resistance value common to all 0.1 modes at 3 Ω.
As for the screen, we are entitled to a screen of almost 1 ". It is clear and the interface pretty enough to watch.
The Micro-Usb port allows recharging the batteries rather quickly since it supports a charging current of 2A intensity. Of course, we will always prefer an external charger.
A powerful well-equipped box that may lack a Bypass mode to be at the top.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
La Nickel is presented in a cardboard box. All sides are red, except for the top of the cover which is black and pierced with a transparent film window. Almost triangular, it reveals half of the box. Always on this face the name of the box and the manufacturer.
On the short sides, nothing in sight.
In the back, as always, the contents of the pack, the mandatory warnings and the normative logos.
Inside, there is our box with an untranslated record and a USB / Micro-USB cable.
Nothing extraordinary but a clean presentation, a pity for the record.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing in the street, with a simple tissue paper
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
La nickel is not a compact box, it will be possible to slip into a pocket jacket or coat but you will feel its presence. The grip is average. The controls are well placed, no worries but the edges are a little too sharp ", they are not sharp but in the long run they cause a feeling of discomfort.
The settings are easily made using the switch and two +/- buttons. The commands are quite "traditional", we find the 5 clicks for the start and stop, and the 3 clicks to access the choice of mode.
The feelings of vape are pretty good. The chipset offers a reactive and full vape, no worries on this point, you get what you pay for.
The two batteries offer a correct autonomy quite in the standard of this type of configuration.
A box cut for large hands, which offers nothing extraordinary but works well and is pleasant enough to use if we ignore the small inconvenience caused by its lines "tense".
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Very versatile, she can do anything
- Description of the test configuration used: Associated with an Ares mounted on 1 Ω, Govad RTA mounted on 0.4Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: as mentioned above very versatile, as long as the atomizer does not exceed the 25 mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.9 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
La Nickel is rather engaging at first sight, the lines are beautiful and quite original. The box is a bit massive but we are used to this type of template with 18650 double box, nothing outrageous. It is equipped with an efficient chipset that offers all types of modes, except the Bypass which is not embarrassing but it is still a little unfortunate.
The value for money is good, we are in the spirit of Dovpo with a powerful product, quite original and rather cheap.
So why a note from 3.9 only will you say?
First point, the comfort, the grip could have been better if the edges had been a little softened, in the state I think it can be a little awkward in the long run especially for small hands.
Second point, it brings nothing new. We agree there are a lot of boxes that bring nothing new than their design, and here I come back to the first point, in this case often the ergonomics is a point to treat precisely and there, This is not the case.
So Nickel can not pretend to become a reference, it will be interesting only if you have fallen in love with its lines, and in this case, it is a choice like any other.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.