- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Tech-Steam
- Price of the tested product: 70 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 60 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.15
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
It took the Kangertechnophiles wait September 2015 for their favorite manufacturer out a box TC.
The Nebox, original design although already known (the eGgrip preceded it), embeds a tank of 10ml and two heating systems. A very complete packaging for a moderate price, that should satisfy a lot fans of the excellent Kangertech products. 60W useful controlled by a proprietary chipset, a TC up to 300 ° C (is it reasonable?) And an 18650 battery (not supplied) interchangeable and rechargeable via a USB / micro USB connection by steaming thanks to the function pass- through if you stick to it.
On paper, it is certain that this box can make salivating envy, what will be after this test which must reveal all aspects?
Let's go! A ver, as the other would say ....
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 22.8
- Product Length or Height in mms: 86
- Product weight in grams: 100
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, PMMA, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Compact Side Box
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 5
- Number of threads: 3
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Its width is 5,75 cm, it is noteworthy for these ladies, it is an object with imposing measurements without being gigantic, which will suit men and their larger paluches.
The hull is aluminum, the total weight accu included is + or-155g without the juice 10ml .... The Nebox is flat and ergonomically pleasing due to the full roundness of the sides. The grip will make you feel that the texture of the paint is more anti-slip, beware of the let go!
The battery change occurs after unscrewing a cover whose connection (negative pole) is brass, this operation can alter the painted coating in the groove of the cap, prefer a wooden instrument (ice stick) or from plastic to the metal coin (the plastic caddy token is perfect).
Same principle for the access to the coil, the threads are correct and, if it is one harder than the other, they will be "made" with the time, thus reducing this difference.
The filling is easy, after removing the bottom cap you pour the juice, the drip tip upside down, in the tank, the limit is the end of the chimney, a little above the connecting piece / flat metal centering . A side light shows the remaining level of juice.
The drip tip is in Delrin, rather short, it comes out of 14mm for an 5mm base with a single O-ring. The top cap is protected by a transparent film revealing, during its removal, a glossy glossy black surface that is likely to be scratch-resistant and impeccable for fingerprinting.
The LCD screen is unobtrusive (23 x 8mm), it is protected behind an oblong window reminiscent of the juice level light.
The stamped Kangertech facade in italic lettering is pierced with the K logo, bordered with streaks also hollow, it is the degassing vent, cleverly designed.
The buttons / menus and the switch flutter a little in their homes, nothing serious but it is a point of detail that, added to others, will eventually weigh on the overall score ....
Overall, the Nebox is rather well done, sober (in black) and will require a certain minutia to keep it long this elegant aspect.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: Owner, integrated atomizer / tank
- Adjustable positive plot? No, integrated atomizer
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of current vape voltage, Display of the power of the current vape, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors.
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes fixed (bottom cap not adjustable)
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: integrated atomizer
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- not applicable
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
In addition to its integrated ato / tank which I will discuss later, the Nebox is a last generation electro, it is equipped with a proprietary chipset managing the VW function now classic, allowing a range of use of 7 up to 60W incremental from 0,1 W.
5 quick presses on the switch turn on or off the box.
By simultaneously pressing the 2 [+] and [-] 3 seconds buttons you enter the mode change menu.
You will then switch from VW (or M3) mode to TC: Temperature Control, which can be activated with Ni 200 (M1), or Titanium (M2) mounts. From 100 to 300 ° C (200 to 600 ° F) in increments of 1 °.
To select the settings (M1, M2, M3), press 3 once the switch quickly, the screen then displays the 3 options you choose with the + or - buttons, the chosen option will be validated by pressing once the switch.
The TC mode requires the box a "reflection" time to detect the material used either in the Kanger resistors (compatible with those of the Subtank mini), or on your assembly with the RBA plate (the same as that of the Subtank) in Ni or Ti.
In position M1 (NI200), to integrate the settings of the mode TC in mode VW, you must simultaneously press the buttons [+] and [-], the box will make the calculations of coherence between the temperature settings and the power output .
In the M3 (VW) position, to activate the power function, press the switch, the display shows the VW function, set the desired power.
The possible settings in TC mode are from M1 to M4. Lock the settings obtained by simultaneously pressing the three buttons. To unlock, same thing.
From positions M5 and M6, you can pre-select your settings only in VW mode for your stainless steel fixtures, Kanthal ...
Do not worry, if it seems a little messy or complicated, wait to read the manual provided in French, you will come back quickly on your impressions.
I also let you discover the other features: pivoting messages left / right, new or old resistance (preset) ... and the nectar: you will have to turn off your Nebox to access by pressing 2 seconds simultaneously buttons [+] and [+] -] to the features of the predefined settings or to modify them or to create them! But hey, that's the progress ...
This chipset and its software provide security of use, I did not want to experiment and I do not know the alert messages, (a lack of resistance is reflected by the blinking of the display ohms for example) . Kangertech did not think it necessary to talk about it on the record, whatever the language, it must be obvious ...
Let's go to the resistances provided. Nickel to more or less 0,4 ohm (given for 0,15, see photo) is mounted original and you will find another called SSOCC 0.5Ω SuBohm, I let you appreciate (SS for stainless steel, I guess) and you indicates that she is in Kanthal. Note the compatibility with the resistances of Subtank and it seems that the OCC of square section pass also.
An RBA board and 2 coils Kanthal 0,5 ohm (of which 1 is pre-mounted) are also provided in the package, this is the same board as that of Subtank + or mini, which I invite you to read the journal herebecause the vape characteristics it provides are quite comparable.
The tank 10ml capacity is not interchangeable, it is more in PMMA, which makes it incompatible with the famous juices to attack or interact with this material, not Pluid.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The Nebox arrives in an embossed cardboard box, which surrounds a plastic protection arranged in drawer. Inside, at first glance you see the box in a semi-rigid foam compartment that you will remove to discover, on the lower floor, the rest of the parts and accessories.
A bag containing Japanese cotton, a bag of spares (screwdriver, coil and spare 4 screws), the drip tip in black Delrin, the cable for reloading (5V, 1 Ah), a Kanger resistance of 0,5 ohm, the tray RBA pre-assembled, a brief note for filling, a warranty card, adhesive tapes to increase the thickness of the battery if it floated in its housing and .... The notice in English on one side and in a strange dialect little or more used, on the other, sensible yet to suit the French. The intention is laudable and in addition, we spend a good time to laugh like whales. To understand this manual, it is better to pass on the English side.
It should be kept in mind that this Kanger Nebox Starter Kit, Box + Atomizer / Tank, + RBA with the supplied accessories costs 70 €, and that this price is very competitive.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy but requires a workspace
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? Yes
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Leakage by the air flow (2 drops), at the end of tank, in standing position, left at rest 10 minutes, after intense chain vaping 8 ml.
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
A vape close to the Subtank + or mini, steam you want it here and a rendering of flavors worthy of one of the best RBA clearos on the market. Kanger has kept for its box a proven heating system that combines steam and flavor brilliantly. The TC is efficient, the answer in VW is direct, without lag and perfectly linear. In TC, the calculations are very fast and the control works without interruptions. The capacity of the tank ensures a day of vape taking care to change or recharge the battery along the way, especially in ULR. Beyond 1,5 ohm with the RBA, we do not take advantage of the potential of the box that is clearly oriented sub-ohm.
The air flow is however not adjustable, it allows direct inhalation and the whole heater very moderately 0,35 ohm, I did not feel any gene at this level. The drip tip, however, has a thin diameter of 4 mm (in the extension of the chimney of the same section) which seems small for the vape in ULR, but it is sufficient and does not heat, you can change at will, c is 510.
With the resistance SSOCC mounted original, not really well calibrated and a juice in 40% VG, a leak appeared after 10 mn, the box standing upright at rest, the tank being a full quarter. I put this disadvantage on the account of this defective head but it seems that the problem was found by other users in similar or different conditions (full tank, 75% VG liquid ...). With a personal OCC 0,5 ohm this problem however has not reappeared for my experience of a day. With a liquid in 60 / 40 and the SSOCC 0,37ohm pack, (in fact the 0,5ohm, decidedly badly calibrated these resistors!) 2th day, full tank, no leak, during periods of rest. With the previous experience, I remove the drip tip and pose the Nebox returned (the night for example). At 0,37Ω and 40W, the autonomy of an 18650 35A 2800mAh makes it possible to vaper 5ml thus half of a tank, the screen then reveals an empty stylized battery which flashes, sign that it must be recharged (charge remaining after cut controlled at 3,45 V).
The test with RBA pre-mounted Kanthal 0,5ohm is also detected at 0,37! I come to think that electronics bugue at this level on the test box and that it is not the resistance that is involved. I intentionally inserted a capillary in FF2 without leaving too much the "whiskers" as shown on the sketches of the note, to see if the short assembly could present a problem of leaks, 2 / 3 tank full, 2 hours of vape interspersed with breaks (meal) and not the slightest beginning of loss of juice ... .I left the box posed normally (at the place) all night tank full without problem. In writing these lines I am vipping, he is 15h.
The format of this box, in use, suits my hand. I regret a little the salient position of the switch that allows untimely firing and coating a little slippery. The cleaning must be carried out battery removed, housing closed, carefully, so as not to risk flooding the electronic parts (normally waterproof except the micro USB). Drying is possible by making a thin handle (2mm) and a pad of absorbent paper well secured at the end.
Recommendations for use:
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A classical fiber and FF - low resistance inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm mounting for the RBA
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? integrated atomizer, RBA or Kanger proprietary resistance
- Description of the test configuration used: OCC resistors, Ni 200 to 0,37 ohm, Kanthal 0,5 ohm
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: your favorite RBA mounting, or a resistance Kanger not above 1,5 ohm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
This starter kit, the last born of Kanger factories, is an interesting bet. It will not suit everyone because of its measurements, its lack of airflow control, fixed PMMA tank and singularities of manipulation and electronic adjustments. But we must consider the original and positive aspects of the concept. the autonomy of juice available is consistent, It has 2 multi-purpose heating systems, removable full tank, giving it adaptability in all kinds of situations. The vape it provides is very satisfactory in both flavor and steam production, thanks to a reliable and effective regulation. Its power range is suitable for many MC (Ø2mm) mountings.
It is guaranteed at least 3 months, and its price places it in a range accessible to many vapers. I do not advance too much in advising you to get it, not necessarily for intensive daily use but for occasions where all its qualities will serve you, especially on the move.
The time of the gifts approaches, it is one which will delight the neophytes like the geeks, sorry ladies, if it does not please you, I understand you, you know that on the other hand your lover will have a pleasure of the discover under the tree ....
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.