- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Dream Steam
- Price of the tested product: 870 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Mechanical without kick support possible
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not applicable
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
At times, the life of a chronicler at the Vapelier reserves surprises of size. After a test on a foolish atomizer or a delicious e-liquid, we sometimes fall, in the sandstone of the arrivals, on an exceptional product, which like a pearl oyster in the middle of a sea bream fillet, makes us vibrate the heart with this mixture of fascination and apprehension felt by the adventurer when opening the treasure chest.
We have here an exceptional kit. Thanks to its positioning on the market first, then its price then. Indeed, this kit has been designed, wanted, created and developed to appeal to a niche clientele made up of two very different populations: the bitter collectors who will hunt until finding a rare pearl in the ocean of tubes that have flooded the world for five years then a wealthy clientele on the other hand that will be attracted by the fact of ving on a material that not only allows them to indulge their passion but also to assert their standing. We are not very far here from the concept conveyed by Breitling, Lamborghini or Mont Blanc. The Modern Times is an object of great luxury, thought for an elite. It is important to understand it in order to distance yourself from the very high price of the kit, which I will apply myself to do as a reviewer.
We are not going to talk about the price tonight, or even price / quality ratio. We give everyone the right to make up their minds about it. We will talk about technique and finish.
First, it is important to know that Dream Steam has worked with craftsmen or manufacturers on this kit. The mod, which forms the centerpiece of the set was developed and manufactured by PRO-MS on the basis of his Steampunk and then underwent a silver plating. The chosen atomizer is a Kanger Aerotank with a stainless steel tank and a pyrex tank. It comes with four 0.8Ω resistors, a velvet cover with the logo of the brand, two drip-tips, one in silver plated, the other in stainless steel and a bottle of 20ml of Brooklyn in 0mg / ml of nicotine . This homemade e-liquid was developed in partnership with The Fuu. All sitting in a box type cigar cellar, beech, made to measure by a craftsman Jura. It should be noted that Dream Steam offers any buyer a XTAR VP1 charger and a pair of Efest Purple.
Here for the scenario and the decor. Let's move on to the movie that will feature Steampunk in silver costume.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 23.20
- Product Length or Height in mms: 91.08
- Product weight in grams: 168
- Material composing the product: Brass, Silver
- Form Factor Type: Tube
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the bottom cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 3
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Without real surprise, the Steampunk bodied by Dream Steam benefits from an excellent finish and a quality that imposes. This thanks to two important elements:
- The mod itself has benefited from all the experience of the master-moderator of PRO-MS and deserves only praise in terms of its finish, its manual production, inlay pieces by parts of the gears and other laces metal on the body of mod. The whole thing is a true work of art which, if it does not disorient nor surprise the lovers of the Steampunk, reminds us that we have in France exceptional modellers whose PRO-MS is the figurehead.
- The second element lies in the silver plating that covers all parts of the mod. Plating can be deposited by electroplating (electrolysis) or by Tollens reaction (chemical process). I do not know which process was chosen because it is difficult to determine at the simple vision, even if I look for electrolysis. On the other hand, Dream Steam chose here a plating in 6 microns. This choice is not trivial. For jewelery as a rule, we talk about plating 10 microns. But if, to tackle the Steampunk, Dream Steam preferred a plating 6 microns, it is certainly to avoid too "smooth" the mod to respect and preserve the roughness of cogs and other metal parts. It is easy to understand that the larger the silver layer, the more the initial drawing of the mod sculpture disappears.
In any case, we have a beautiful object in hand! Great fan before the eternal Steampunk, I can only adhere to this exceptional mod in its livery "silver surfer" which sparkles and gives it a precious and rare.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a floating pine.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18500
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Not applicable, it is a mechanical mod
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We are here in the presence of a Steampunk so the basic material is brass. The silver plating does not upset, far from it, the conductivity of the mod that remains available and "sends well" (Dictionary of the perfect reviewer page 14 😆). For a battery loaded 4.2V, we get 4.14V output, which is an excellent measure, within the limit of course my control protocol which is identical on all mash mods to have a baseline. Some mods do better, of course, but the purpose of this kit is to vape in comfort and not to send flying islands of steam.
The switch, here in its version V2, is a perfection in terms of softness. He makes contact with each support and remains, for my part, one of the most pleasant switches that I know on a mecha. Its small size imposes to have the mod well hand but its race ultra short and its flexibility make it a must of the kind.
The choice of a tube that can accommodate an 18500 battery is relevant to the target audience and allows for a set of medium size. On the other hand, it will dissuade the confirmed vapers avid of performances because the best battery 18500 of the world can send only what it has and will not be able to compete in autonomy or maximum discharge current with a good 18650. Which makes the choice of the Aérotank as atomizer quite relevant, especially equipped as here resistances in 0.8Ω.
Let's linger for a moment on that. The target audience for this type of material is not an audience of geeks who will spend their time doing coil-porn on a wild dripper 😯! It was therefore wise to propose a proven clearomizer, and the Aérotank is one of those, whose proprietary resistance is easy to change and which will deliver a voluptuous vape, driven by Steampunk, with its rather weak resistance and will allow a very correct airflow control, from very tight to overhead.
Because if we summarize: we put the battery, we change the resistance, the clearo does not leak, we fill easily, we shoot and we are there. No need to linger on a desk with tools to get the most out of the set-up. And that's what seemed incongruous at first (an Aerotank on a Steampunk !!!!!!!!!!! Sacrilege!) takes all its meaning and where we can consider that the assembly was thought intelligently. In addition, a good 18500 battery will largely hold the 0.8Ω resistors. So it's a well thought out set-up. I have only one regret but which is probably explained by a problem of feasibility, is that the stainless steel tank of the Aérotank did not undergo the same plating of money to come to complete the aesthetics of the set-up.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The devil is hiding, it is said, in the details. Here, there is no bad surprise. The box is solid wood and was made to measure in beech, as I said above. The interior is lined with a very dense foam covered with imitation leather and stamped to receive the various elements provided. The whole is beautiful. We could have thought of a box in a more precious wood such as elm magnifier or speckled maple but the use of beech painted in black throws by its simplicity, enhanced by a design on the lid showing the wheels and the name of the product in a brilliant silver paint. We then leave the classicism of a box of precious wood to get closer to the industrial era and it is happy in view of the chosen mod. I find for my part that there is no fault of taste in this simple and elegant packaging.
The detail is also this black booklet in an envelope of the same value which details the history of the concept and informs us methodically about the technical aspects with beautiful photos. Again, it is not a question of enumerating specifications and some diagrams but a booklet black and white very classy, decorated by professional photos. The buyer has paid dearly but he can not complain about not being considered.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
There is nothing to report in this section. The mod behaves admirably and the duo works well together. The vapogeek that I am a little regret the lack of a rebuildable to the height but, as I explained, it needed a set-up easy to implement and correct in rendering. The bet is held.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18500
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Rebuildable Genesys type metal mounting mesh, Rebuildable Genesys type mounting metal wick
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The atomizer delivered with!
- Description of the test configuration used: Modern Times complete kit, Steampunk + Origen V2
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: An Aston-Martin DB9, a glass of Dom Pérignon, a sunset in Monaco ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I read AutoPlus. Okay, I could be more advised to read the Expansion or the Diplomatic World if I want one day to give me this kit 😉. But when I read my favorite magazine, if I fly over the test of the last Renault, I dwell heavily on the Bentley Continental GT. I assure you, I do not intend to buy it but I am human and sometimes, like all humans, I dream awake ... I ride in Polo every day however ... .. Worse, I take the tram 😥
We are all like that. Sentimental crowd as Souchon sang .... We are rebelling on prices that are blazing but when you dream awake, it is not question of fare and one visualizes himself always better driving a Bugatti than a Polo .... It's human…
This is the effect of this kit. We understand why, for whom and how it was thought. So, we pester and we regimbe and I do like you: I'm looking for noises, stuff to taint the reputation of the product but there is none, you have to be objective, it's my reason to be at Vaccelier . It's well done, it's cogitious, it's targeted. There is nothing to add.
So now we can talk about the price. If the proposed tariff does not bother the buyer and this seems to be the case, who would I say it is not honest? To trade, you have to be two: a seller and a buyer. The Modern Times sells well, it finds its audience. Everything is fine in the best of all worlds even if it's not mine ... but I told you, it's a piece of dream ...
Well, it's not all that, I'll have to pack it and send it back .... I will dream better tomorrow ... 🙁
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.