- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Dream Stea (http://www.dream-steam.fr/Boutique/coffret-modern-times18350-or-6-microns/)
- Price of the tested product: 890 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Mechanical without kick support possible
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: Not applicable
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not applicable
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The box Modern Time is a luxury product of very high-end and for good reason. The products offered in this box are in fact a collaboration between the Dream Steam team and various stakeholders, but it is especially an exceptional mod "Steampunk" in gold plated and a clearomiser "Aerotank" to which Dream Steam associated a tank and two drip-tips, also in gold plated.
The material of the plating is a gold 24 carats. Pure gold (such as a nugget, powder or straw) does not exist in jewelry, so it is an alloy that increases the rigidity of this material. In this case, we are on a yellow gold composed of 980 ‰ gold, 10 ‰ silver and 10 ‰ copper. He is considered "pure".
For plating, the legislation imposes a standard as to thickness, namely: 5 microns for watches and 3 microns for jewelery. A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter, but Dream Steam offers a plating 6 microns, twice as thick as the standard imposed.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 22
- Product Length or Height in mms: 73
- Product weight in grams: 120
- Material composing the product: Copper, Brass, Gold
- Form Factor Type: Tube
- Decorative Style: Steam Punk Universe
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the bottom cap
- Fire button type: Spring mechanics
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 5
- Number of threads: 3
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
In this box, we find an exceptional and unique mod.
Handcrafted, the Steampunk is a work of art that its creator, Sébastien Lavergne, manufactures with meticulousness. Each piece is unique, numbered and the gears are laid and assembled manually on the tube. To add value to this rare object, Steam Dream has covered this masterpiece with gold, so you get a precious mod, unique in the world.
It does not tarnish and does not form oxide, only some traces of dirt can hinder its brilliance but a simple cleansing specific to gold will restore its brilliance.
Once designed and gold-plated 6 micron 24 carats, the mod returns to Pro-Ms for a complete finish.
On this mod, the threads are wide and deep which avoids a jam at the screwing. The embossed gears stand out perfectly, the 18350 format gives a certain comfort in holding and the diameter in 22mm makes it possible to adapt a large number of atomizers. As for the materials used, they provide excellent conductivity, gold also allows for perfect contacts, durable over time without any weakness. So, you do not need to scratch your connection permanently unless there is a liquid leak. I am happy to note that the contact of the switch is done through a spring and not by two magnets opposite poles facing each other, because we get a softer button and a much better conductivity.
The only downside for me concerns the engravings which, drowned under the plating, seem shallow.
- Type of chipset used: None / Mechanical
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a floating pine.
- Lock system ? No
- Quality of the locking system: None
- Features offered by the mod: None / Mod Méca
- Accusability: 18350
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The operation of the mod remains quite simple since it is a mechanical mod. However, I particularly appreciate being able to put my set-up vertically. Indeed, the switch does not have a lock because in this model it's useless, because the button is found squarely integrated in the "ass" of the mod on which we can see a beautiful engraving by Pro-Ms. Similarly, there is a small hole next to it for a dissipation of heat inside the tube.
The spring-mounted switch is flexible and the pin is removable on 1.5mm. Combined with the conductivity of the materials used, you get a perfectly functional mod. I did not find any fault!
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Super conditioning bravo!
We are conquered ... and moreover we feel that we have in our hands a unique luxury product.
The mod sits in a box of beech wood made in the Jura. On the top of the black box are the names and drawings of the gears in gold color. Inside, we find on the wood a beautiful silkscreen and the content has nothing to envy to the outside: a large pocket containing an explanatory map guaranteeing the authenticity of the model and its number, a card "Dream Steam" , a user manual for the Aérotank with its certificate and a velvet pouch to insert the set-up. Then, on a large foam on brown leather, we obviously find:
- This beautiful gold-plated steampunk
- One bottle of e-liquid of 20 ml 770 Brooklyn tobacco in 0 mg of nicotine
- A Clearomiser Aerotank with its pyrex tank + a gold plated tank to associate it with the mod
- Two gold-plated drip-tips, one "Kanger" the other "Dream Steam" with engraving.
- Three replacement resistors in 0.8 ohm plus a resistor included in the clearomizer, from 2 ohms
So, for this beautiful set, a packaging at the height of its price.
Regarding the aerotank, we stay on a clearomizer that fits perfectly to the mod with its gold-plated tank and provides a vape quite correct, with an adjustable airflow on a wide enough panel.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
I tested this mod with the Aerotank with a resistance of 2 ohms, then a resistance of 0.8 ohm.
No negative, no heating, the pine is perfectly isolated, the conductivity is perfect and the switch very responsive with a very short stroke.
The format of the mod is really comfortable, it fits perfectly in the hand and put his set-up vertically on the table is not a problem: no risk of an untimely fire. However, the mod requires to use batteries in 18350. The intensity of this kind of battery often remains lower than the intensity of a battery in 18650 and over time, it is felt relative to the value of the resistance used.
On a resistance of 2 ohms, the vape is correct and lasts longer than with a resistance of 0.8 ohm which one feels after a few hours a decrease of intensity faster with a steam which exhausts more quickly. The ideal would be a value of 1.2 or 1.5 ohm to get a good compromise between steam and power. But also to have a good autonomy and an ideal sustainable vape power.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18350
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A conventional fiber - resistance greater than or equal to 1.7 Ohms
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? I advise to use this mod with a resistance above 0.8 ohm, a clearomiser would be wiser with this format 18350
- Description of the test configuration used: clearomizer Aerotank resistance 2 ohms then 0.8 ohm
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The Subtank mini with RBA plate for resistance of 1.5 ohm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
When I opened the box, I was delighted to find that this wonder was associated with a clearomizer. Why ?
Because this box has a very high price (890 euros, I remember it) and that everyone can not afford it. It is therefore intended primarily for a category of affluent individuals who do not wish to rebuild their resistance. I really believe that this box will suit people who love luxury, unique and also ease. This box may also attract some enthusiasts or collectors who paradoxically want to own a kind of product with a rebuildable. That's why Dream Steam offers us an optional Subtank Mini clearomizer with a gold-plated part that goes perfectly with the mod. Its RBA plateau will allow those who wish, to build a resistance adapted to their vape.
There is also a bottle of e-liquid of 20 ml "770 Brooklyn tobacco" in 0 mg of nicotine, a rather surprising taste that leaves me at the end of the vape a tiny flavor of tobacco in the mouth that does not persist, but which really reminds me of the period when I smoked. A collaboration with The Fuu that has also established other e-liquids such as the "961 Tea Times Square" or the "555 Manhattan Coffee" on which I will try to return you in more detail later in a review dedicated to liquids.
Always in option, we find a sublime display of original form that highlights this set and allows to safely place it with class on a corner of furniture.
Like many, I wondered about the price of this box, but when we assemble all the elements we quickly realize that the various collaborations have a price just as important as the material because beyond the mod, we have the box beech wood made in the Jura, silkscreens, various intervening for liquids, clearomizers and many shipments and re-shipments for veneers, checks and taxes. In short, put end to end, the note lengthens and it seemed important to specify it because the product is unusual.
Fan of the work of Sebastien Lavergne and for good reason (photo attached;)), I am delighted that Dream Steam chose the Steampunk for the gold plated. It is a work of art that, beyond aesthetics, is a quality mod that works perfectly well.
I especially thank Dream Steam who, by sending this fabulous box, me among make this review of exception and by the same to make you share a little dream. Thank you for his confidence.
Looking forward to reading you,
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.