- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: https://www.sourcemore.com/eleaf-melo-5-vape-atomizer.html
- Price of the tested product: 22.33 € ==> 16.73 with code MELO5!
- Product category based on sales price: Entry level (from 1 to 35 €)
- Atomizer type: Clearomizer
- Number of resistances allowed: 1
- Resistance Type: Non-Rebuildable Owners, Non-Rebuildable Owners with Temperature Control
- Type of wicks supported: Cotton
- Quantity in milliliters announced by the manufacturer: 4
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Adorned with a good name for the tearful movie or the Russian book where all the characters die in the end, the Melo is a great source of joy for its users and for the company that manufactures: Eleaf.
So, we can reasonably claim that all previous versions have been bestsellers that have done even more for the diffusion of the vap 'attitude than our Home Secretary for the purchasing power of ophthalmologists ...
Also, it is normal to look eagerly at this new version, the V5, of this standard de facto and see if the quality of the family saga is respected and if the last-born brings new enough to stand out from his ancestry .
First and foremost, we can notice that the price remains substantially the same. Eleaf's image is inexorably linked to the entry level and is working to occupy the niche in a dominant position while raising the quality level of all of its production.
Always flying over the object and some technical characteristics, we realize that this is much more than a simple evolution or versioning in autopilot. The novelties are numerous and particularly judicious. Before even opening the door, I'm salivating in advance.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28.8 with the widest pyrex.
- Length or height of the product in mm as it is sold, but without its drip-tip if it is present and regardless of the length of the connection: 42.9
- Weight in grams of the product as sold, with its drip-tip if it is present: 65.4
- Material composing the product: Stainless steel, Pyrex, Silicone
- Form Factor Type: Nautilus
- Number of component parts without screws and washers: 5
- Number of threads: 4
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Number of O-rings, Drip-Tip excluded: 7
- Quality of O-rings present: Good
- O-ring positions: Drip-tip connection, Top Cap - Tank, Bottom Cap - Tank, Other
- Capacity in milliliters actually usable: 4.
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, the Melo 5 invites us to the show by affirming its moult.
Finished the evidences a little clumsy, we are here in a design of warrior which looks furiously with a tower of game of chess. Bigger than its predecessor, it gets rid of its all-rounder line by a crenellated top-cap of the most beautiful effect, a base of 25mm of diameter which gives a formidable sitting to the machine and especially a potbellied pyrex that belt a Silicone spiral supposed to dampen shocks in case of fall, pitched battle with your mother-in-law or nuclear attack.
We can especially see a style effect that gives a real thickness to the atomizer. Stylistic thickness so since the perceived quality makes a large leap forward but thick just because the diameter of the atomizer at this precise spot still flirts with 29mm ...
The weight is average ... high and the Melo 5 is a beautiful baby, from every angle.
The finish has made some notable advances. Although the Melo 4 was already doing pretty well in this area, the Melo 5 is even better and augurs a good reliability over time. The threads are excellent, the joints seem to do their job well without complaining to the work and the airflow ring rotates without the need for a crocodile clip or a backhoe to move.
The base has a beautiful solidity and welcomes your resistance without any fuss all the more easily as this last scion Melo has a particular kinematics that we will detail later and allows a change of resistance on the fly, even if the tank is full!
To finish with this chapter of the general characteristics, it remains for me to reveal all the intelligence of Eleaf which, although proposing new resistances for the Melo 5, ensured its compatibility with all the resistances EC existing in the range. Enough to rejoice those who hesitated to take the step regretting bitterly to have bought 3000 resistors in advance for the Mélo 4 ...
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? No, a flush mount can only be guaranteed through a setting of the positive pad of the battery or the mod on which it will be installed
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes, and variable
- Maximum surface of the air regulation possible: 26mm²
- Minimum diameter in mm of the air regulation possible: 0
- Positioning the air regulation: Under and benefiting the resistors
- Spray chamber type: Chimney type
- Heat dissipation of the product: Normal
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Although already displaying some very interesting novelties seen above like the famous silicone protection, the backward compatibility and a aesthetic finally in the air of the time, it is at the level of the functional characteristics that the Melo 5 stands out the most, not only of his ancestors but also of the competition. See instead:
First of all, Eleaf is releasing two new mesh resistors. The first is calibrated around 0.15Ω and takes you from 30 to 80W to the delight of your neighbors vapophobes who grow long sighs at the sight of the slightest volute from your balcony. Here, it is a massive deterrent weapon that will swing from the cloud like the central Blaye in full heat wave.
The second is more wisely calibrated on 0.60Ω and opens the way to a wiser, more weighted vape, which will nicely go from 15 to 30W for "flavor" rather than "steam" moments. And that's where we meet the second novelty of Melo.
Indeed, the clearomizer has been designed to work as well in DL with a consequent inflow of air and a low value resistor, that in 0.15Ω, than in MTL or resistance in 0.60Ω will do wonders associated with a tight airflow. To allow this large gap, Eleaf has equipped its atomizer with a variable geometry airflow: you have a cyclope light of 1cm on 2mm which is next to a round light of 2mm diameter and a last of 1mm of diameter approximately. So, either you can open everything big and there, you the joys of the big vape, or you can condemn the cyclops and make the choice to keep the two remaining holes or even the only last child. The result is bluffing, the versatility is present and, if you like to change type of vape during the day, it will suffice to switch the resistors and change the airflow accordingly. The egg of Christopher Columbus!
We are far from having completed this inventory in the Prévert news Mélo 5. Indeed, the ability to change your resistance while your tank is full is now acquired. For that, no miracle, just a little engineering treasure. Indeed, when you unscrew the base of the tank, metal valves are automatically raised to close the liquid inlets of the chimney, thus preventing any possibility of leakage of liquid during the change of resistance.
Similarly, at the time of filling, sometimes source some unfortunate leaks on some references, you will need to raise the top-cap while sliding it. The lifting action also causes the closing of the liquid ports, thus ensuring a perfect seal. And that's not all. Eleaf took the opportunity to change its filling hole by equipping it with a silicone cover just split in the center. Thus, it is just as easy as before to position its dropper by the slot and thus avoids the possible reflux of e-liquid on the top-cap.
In short and for a quick balance, the Melo 5 is much better than its predecessor in terms of features. No revolution but precise and sensible evolutionary keys which largely value the existence of a new version.
- Drip tip type: 510 Only
- Presence of a Drip-Tip? Yes, the vaper can immediately use the product
- Length and type of drip-tip present: Medium
- Quality of the present drip-tip: Good
Reviewer's comments on the Drip-Tip
The drip-tip has a merit, it is to be provided in the configuration. Otherwise, Eleaf has not done the hard work here. Traditional 510 connection that will allow you to replace it with the mouthpiece of your choice, average length, output diameter of 10mm and plastic, basic but proven.
The surface is slightly rough. Without being particularly unpleasant in the mouth, it displays a texture that some people will like and others not.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is typically anchored in the brand's DNA. We thus find the ubiquitous white card bearing the manufacturer's coat of arms, some basic information on the outside and, inside the box, we find the Melo 5 and a bag of spare parts quite complete including mostly seals as well as replacement silicone covers for the filling port.
Add, for good measure, that the atomizer comes rigged resistance in 0.60Ω and 0.15Ω resistance is provided to you in addition, so as to have a panel of different forms of vape offered by the machine.
A small problem though: we will appreciate the presence of a spare pyrex but it is not equipped with the spiral of silicone. A little bit of avarice that is not worthy of the mark, which is a bit of a blow to the joy so far.
Let us comfort ourselves with a multilingual manual that does not forget the language of Molière and who speaks it, my faith, with enough seriousness not to burst into laughter.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the mod of the test configuration: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Filling facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change resistors: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Is it possible to use this product throughout the day with several E-Juice vials? Yes perfectly
- Was there leak after one day of use? No
Note from Vapelier on the ease of use: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
After having seen all the news that Eleaf presents us with his new workhorse, we have to test the essential: the impressions of vape:
With the mesh resistance of 0.15Ω and a wide ventilation, we find ourselves with an ideal mix between the quality of the taste and the volume of steam. The taste is ubiquitous and, although it can not compete with MTL clearomiseurs typed flavors like the Innokin Zenith, it takes advantage of the large mesh heating surface to saturate the flavors and allows to hold the candle high well competitors, clearomizers or even rebuildable atomizers, in terms of rendering. The steam is abundant, very white, very textured and adds a thickness in the mouth which accompanies perfectly the precision of the flavors.
This at the price, you guessed it, a fairly impressive liquid consumption.
With the resistance in 0.60Ω and an airflow between very tight and semi-open, the Melo 5 behaves just as well for a necessarily different result. The flavors are nicely refined, the volume of steam returns to normal and the consumption drops. Just very logical after all. The overall quality is however still present and will be well suited to MTL fans or even fans of air flows a little restrictive.
I note, however, that Eleaf is pushing the plug a bit by announcing 80W maximum in the first case. I think the sweet spot is more about 45 / 55W. Beyond, the resistance holds but the heat becomes invasive and can not serve some delicate e-liquids. In the case of MTL type resistance, it holds the 15 / 30W bet, depending on the airflow you allow.
A small note useful: the manufacturer advises the use of PG / VG 50 / 50 e-liquids for Melo 5. I tried with a liquid in 30 / 70 and it passes without problem. In 100% VG, it works if you are not too greedy on power and chain-vaping but we clearly feel that we reach the limits of the atomizer. Of course, with the highest resistance, it is better to abstain altogether.
The Melo 5 works wonderfully and fulfills its role both in taste restoration and texture of steam. It has the decency not to require layers because, over three days of testing, no leak has come obscure the table. Sometimes a tiny drop may leak from the airholes but it is more a product of high-temperature condensation rather than a tank leak.
Recommendations for use
- With which type of mod is it advisable to use this product? Electronic
- With which mod model is it advisable to use this product? An 100W electronic mod that accepts atomizers in diameter 25mm
- With which type of e-liquid is it advisable to use this product? I do not recommend it for 100% VG fluids
- Description of the test configuration used: 5 + Tesla Wye + Liquid 50 / 50, 70 / 30 and 100% VG
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A dark mod with shapes a little tormented to accompany the design of the Melo
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.7 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Carton full! Not only does Eleaf give us all the mirettes with its new form factor but, in addition, it brings a staggering number of new products cm²! To say that the Melo 5 is a success is therefore a commonplace. It is better than that, he has taken advantage of the quality of Melo 4 while bringing impressive modifications to make the saga even more qualitative. All for a sweet fare like a whiff of Five Pawns!
Top Ato de rigueur, widely deserved for this "little big atomizer" who still has many years of fruitful sales ahead of him!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.