- Sponsor who loaned the product for the magazine: Acquired on our own funds
- Price of the tested product: between 50 and 60 €
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable voltage electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 300W
- Maximum voltage: 6.2V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Not communicated ...
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Those who still believe that Ijoy is an obscure second-rate brand are asked to review their copy. Indeed, for some time now, the brand of the Middle Kingdom has been constantly flooding us with new products all more interesting than the others and with a rather marked difference from the competition to widen the horizons of the vapers.
It is in this new card trick of a future great of the vape that reaches us the Maxo Zenith, a box well in the air of the time, proposing neither more nor less than a power of 300W, a simplicity of biblical operation and a tariff almost indecent since corresponding to that of a mod 75W entry-level.
Welcoming three batteries and freely inspired by the concepts Hexohm, Surric and others, the Maxo will try to impose itself as a game-changer, being there to seduce the hardcore-vapers in their quest for the perfect cloud and to inspire sessions of vape in power.
Available in five colors for less than 60 €, it should interest those who dream of a so-called mecan-regulated box without, however, having the potential budget for US references in the field.
Anatomy of a bomb ...
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 40.7
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88
- Product weight in grams: 346
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Type of Form Factor: Box type Reuleaux
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: On the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 0
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The small hands and biceps rickets will not be partying, alas, because the Zenith is presented as a big pavement, heavy and bulky. Inspired by the style "Reuleaux", it reveals a aesthetic yet successful, little used on this type of segment, which turns heads when you steam in the street.
The shape is known but the aesthetics has been treated with a battery of small details that communicate a beautiful personality. On the flanks, gills leave between seeing the inside of the monster, they are pierced with a multitude of small holes to cool the chipset.
On the front panel, below the simple logo indicating the name of the product, a potentiometer sits at the bottom, marked with a flash in relief very useful for gripping. It is therefore by turning this element that we will be able to manage the increase or decrease of the voltage sent to the atomizer. This button is very flexible to handle, which changes us some "big" references.
Behind, it is the logo of the manufacturer, Ijoy, which is cut out of the bodywork, serving at the same time aesthetic element and degassing holes if incidentally an incident occurred.
Above, on the top-cap, there is a spring-loaded 510 connection. The plate is quite small in diameter but with a robust appearance, stainless steel, and equipped with a positive pin brass. The site should be able to accommodate large diameter atomizers, up to 30mm. Next to it lies the switch, large and comfortable, which will suit both those who are vaping with the thumb and those who have put themselves on the index ... Its position may be disoriented at first but we quickly find its marks and support becomes, as the minutes pass, more and more natural.
The manipulation of the switch is flexible and is distinguished by a very dry little click. Its race is short, I want to say ideally short and its operation is imperial. No missfire here, no exaggerated pressure to submit ... it's butter. And if we do not quite find the comfort of the switch of a Hexohm, we are getting dangerously close.
Three green leds are triggered when firing. One on the top, next to the switch and two inside that illuminate through the gills. Although not a big fan of "sounds and lights", I admit that the effect is nice enough for once, visible enough to make the "cake" in a vapor, discreet enough not to alert the police !
The overall finish is very good, largely sufficient at this price level and ensures a consistent operation of the whole. The adjustments are quite precise, the threading of the 510 well done and the paint well laid. What a pity that the inside of the trap has accu did not undergo the same surface treatment, it's still a pity, it had not really caused an increase in production costs. But I reassure you, we also meet this style of forgetfulness in products much more expensive.
Built in zinc / aluminum alloy, a big standard at the moment, the shapes are rounded on the edges and the grip, although imposing, is pleasant and intuitive. In short, Ijoy released the big game for Zenith. All that's missing is that the ramage refers to the plumage ...
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Clear Diagnostic Messages, Operating Indicators, Cut-off 10s, Chipset Overheating Protection
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 3
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 30
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The chipset made by Iwepal, as on the Maxo Quad is in charge of the regulation of the box and the smoothing of the signal. The features are limited but the simplicity and ergonomics are increased accordingly.
As said above, we have a potentiometer that can influence the voltage sent to the atomizer. This covers a scale from 2.7 to 6.2V. To send the maximum power, it would thus be necessary to make an assembly in 0.12 / 0.13Ω and to be equipped with three batteries delivering a (very) strong current of discharge because the intensity delivered would then be about 50A, the reality corresponding to the data of the manufacturer . The manufacturer is not very talkative about the technical specifications of his product, especially on the recommended resistance scale.
Contacted on its platform, the manufacturer does not give more information on the minimum resistance. I can not advise you too then to stay around 0.2Ω to use the maximum voltage without taking risks. However, the box fires 0.1Ω without significant heating of the batteries but, in the absence of additional data on embedded protections, it is not decently a behavior to encourage.
There is a cut-off of ten seconds as well as a protection circuit which is activated as soon as the temperature of the chipset exceeds a certain threshold harmful to its proper functioning. To switch the box off or on, it is enough, classically, to click five times on the switch.
The upper LED also indicates when the residual voltage in the batteries is decreasing. Green when they are full or almost, it turns red and green when the battery is largely discharged and red when it can not anymore. The box ends by stopping soon after.
And that's all, alas. Always because of a communication a little aborted, the manufacturer does not reveal any other specification on its engine or on the protections which it is equipped. This will be the only really negative aspect of this test.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is correct in this price range. A good big box effectively protects the box in the transport. It also contains a summary note, in English and Chinese (Yep!) Where I would have liked to find more details on the built-in protections and the usable resistance scale.
No USB cable here, the manufacturer having had the wisdom not to provide internal reloading. It will therefore use your external charger, which seems more reasonable because of the vocation of the box to ramp up.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Autonomous, powerful, spirited, lively ... the list of qualifiers lengthen as we discover the Zenith in situation. Indeed, what strikes first is the total lack of latency between the switch pressure and resistive heating. The signal is perfectly managed and does not come apart when you turn the knob to get into the towers.
Atypical, the rendering of vape is less precise and surgical than a DNA, less voluptuous than a Hexohm but is somewhere in between with a nice definition and a nice roundness. The smoothing of the signal is well calculated by the chipset and the set is a little closer to the rendering of a Tesla Invader, reliable and constant regardless of the requested voltage.
Used with a triple coil dripper for 0.10Ω total resistance (you are warned!), The box sends what is expected: the cloud as a rainy spring day, which does not prevent to have banana as a kid using it!
The autonomy is good even if it is a little burdened by the power of the leds. Between a day and a half of vape and two days are possible at medium power. Not bad…
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 3
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All but the box is rather devoted to the atomizers cashing a strong power
- Description of the test configuration used: Kayfun V5, Saturn, Tsunami 24 ...
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A good big bad dripper!
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
In the balance, the Zenith is an excellent mod whose price / power / rendering ratio is really bluffing. Of course, it is not aimed at beginners or fans of quiet vape, it is a powerful mod, cut for the cloud. However, the quality of its rendering makes it also compatible with flavored atomizers and, at that time, we will discover all the autonomy that the three batteries gratify us.
In the unfortunate absence of accurate data, be sure to equip yourself with "sturdy" batteries, even to ignore the capacity in mAh to promote maximum intensity, basic precaution that will allow you to push the tension without taking risks .
Obtaining a Top Mod thanks to its advantageous pricing, the Zenith will count in this narrow yet exciting category and could well make a box!
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.