- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Ave40
- Price of the tested product: 94 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 euros)
- Mod type: Complete kit including battery + atomizer
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 40W
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.2
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
In this autumn 2017, the vape is traversed by different modes or currents, as usual. If the bottom-feeding is on the rise after working almost submarine for seven years, it concerns only the most geeks of us, the confirmed, in short the vapers who already have a few cubic meters of clouds on the clock .
The second commercial trend that will mark this end of the year is developing kits designed specifically for beginners in the vape and smokers. All brands that matter are trying to get on this segment hoping to take the rope that will allow them to access the thirteen million smokers that still remains to convince in France. Bô, Koddopod and others are multiplying to seduce newcomers with the same desire to impose their equipment, thereby multiplying the possibilities of refills which, in the absence of standardization, may create a nice traffic jam at the end of the roundabout .
Either, let's recognize that this trend is positive and positive because it aims to convince smokers to abandon their deadly addiction for a much healthier and more tasteful addiction!
Shanlaan is a young brand of the Middle Kingdom whose only product is the Laan Pod Mod 40W that we are going to shell together today. Available only in China for now, this kit for beginners arrives with great ambitions, both in terms of a rendering touted as versatile and suitable for all types of beginners at the level of the tariff since it is proposed around 95 € for the starting kit and about 7 € for pods, proprietary charging elements that we will discuss below.
A price rather eloquent when compared to its competitors sold around 30 € is three times less. But let's not be too French and give the chance to the product to prove to us that it deserves a price so "differentiating".
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 24.1
- Product Length or Height in mm: 123.5
- Product weight in grams: 85
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Leather
- Form Factor Type: Tube
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Not applicable
- Fire button type: No button, Suction trigger
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 0
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 0
- Quality of the threads: Not applicable on this mod - Absence of no screws
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.7 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The Laan is a rather light tube whose top is crowned by a flat and wide mouthpiece. More impressive than the competition, however, it displays a very successful finish that mixes leather inserts on an aluminum body. With a length of 120mm and a diameter of 24mm, the object holds well in hand and offers a qualitative touch and full of sweetness.
The part related to the finish is therefore acquired for the Laan which is differentiated by the use of metal where others rely on plastic. The target niche is the high end and it feels to grip.
The object consists of three pieces. The body contains a battery that owns 1300mAh. It is overhung by the mouthpiece that is removed by making it a quarter turn. Once this manipulation has been made, we have access to the third part in the form of a Pod which is a cylindrical reservoir of 2ml of liquid pre-equipped with a ceramic resistor with a coil of 0.5Ω. You can fill this tank with the e-liquid of your choice.
Under the tubular body is a mobile cover that allows access to a micro USB port for recharging your battery.
The overall aesthetic is quite convincing. Simple in its form-factor, it shows a certain classic elegance, especially in its steel / brown leather livery. The Laan is also available in black or white.
The finish does not call any reproach. Both the assemblies as the anodized finish or the leather parts demonstrate a very regular work and perfectly completed.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: Owner
- Adjustable positive plot? Not applicable.
- Lock system ? Not applicable
- Quality of the locking system: Not applicable
- Features offered by the mod: Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Connection BlueTooth, Supports the customization of its behavior by external software
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: Not applicable
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
As you might expect, the features are pretty basic.
First of all, the use of the Laan switch without switch since the kit works under the effect of suction. This also explains the absence of a lock mode. So that it does not work, just do not use it ... CQFD ...
The air intake sits in the gap between the body of the mod and the mouthpiece. It is not adjustable but I enjoy to communicate the recommendation of the notice that states that if you want a tight, very cig-like, you just plug the air intake with your finger ... Seen under this angle, necessarily ...
However, I reassure you right away by specifying that the air intake chosen by the manufacturer allows to regulate the steam only by suction. If you suck weakly, you will have a small cloud of steam. If you suck heavily, you will get a not inconsiderable cloud. In any case, the draw remains quite tight and perfectly adapted, despite the initial fear that I may have felt about the weakness of the resistance, a quiet vape beginner.
The Laan is controllable via bluetooth directly on your smartphone, it evolves under Androïd or IOS, by downloading Laan application for free on your marketplaces. Once installed, the soft spot your mod by its bluetooth signature and you can view or adjust different parameters. Thus, you will be informed about the remaining voltage in your battery and you can simply adjust power and temperature with two virtual sliders that will inform you of the operation of this mode in real time. Of course, you can also by-pass the temperature control.
The application will also allow you to lock your device in order to condemn it for your children, by-pass the LED that tells you (from green to red then flashing) the charge of your battery and recover any error messages that the mod will send. It's geek to wish but we can remain cautious on the clutter of having at the same time a smartphone and an e-cig to vaper ...
The pods are very well thought out and made. Totally free of leaks, they use a silicone ring at the top that partly removes to fill the tank. At the bottom, they have a central circle dedicated to the positive pole and a peripheral circle dedicated to the negative, separated from one another by an insulator. These parts come into contact with two metal pellets contained in the body and can be visualized very well by installing the pod. Thus the current can flow. It should be noted that at the metal contacts, there is a button that can be operated with a pointed instrument to reset the mod.
The pods therefore have a sub-ohmic resistance on a ceramic base that is difficult to estimate but which, according to the manufacturer, would be 0.2Ω or 0.5Ω depending on the available models. It should be noted that one can buy "empty" pods that are filled with the e-liquid of one's choice or opt for a pod pre-filled with CBD or THC. And do not come to me a motive of intention, I'm only passing on the information that I have ... 😉 In all the cases, it will cost about 7 €. A fairly large price ...
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging is practical and complete. It delivers your mod, two pods to fill and a traditional micro USB / USB cord of about 30cm so perfectly unusable unless you want to vape during the recharge, the ear on your keyboard.
The white plastic case evokes much more the world of medicine than that of the vape and has the particularity to hold in place only with the help of the paper band that surrounds it. Not very classy for an object that flirts with 100 € ...
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Well, all this is good, but it vape how, this thing ???
Well, not that bad. The rather tight draw and the use of ceramics for the resistance favor a development of flavors all that is more honest. The ergonomics are very well thought out and the object is practical, both in use and at the time of filling.
The steam obtained is dense enough for a kit of this category and the fact of being able to modulate the grip by the power of the suction remains an eminently positive point which will allow the novice vapoteur to start "light" then, little by little, to go his vape sucking more greedily.
The use of the app is anything but natural. However, the settings actually affect the vape and allow, too, to carve a custom tailor vape, playing on the power and temperature. Too bad the developers have implemented some pretty obscure names that hinder a little understanding when taking the soft. A simple "Power" and "Temperature" could have been enough.
The autonomy in energy is rather correct and a beginner will be able to vap a good part of the day with the Laan. The autonomy in e-liquid is measured as for it and, according to your type of aspiration, will be able to demand many fillings. But to start, it's an interesting object that is far from a gadget.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? No
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? No
- Description of the test configuration used: As is
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: As it is
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The Laan is an interesting proposition to convince smokers to take the vape and it is his greatest achievement.
Pretty, well done and finished, it presents a rewarding aesthetic and materials of the foreground. Its operation, supported by an app certainly perfectible but effective, is simple and adapted to the target audience.
But what a pity to have sealed all these good intentions by a prohibitive tariff, both for the kit and consumables. Also, even if the quality of the kit is not in question, the price / quality ratio, it is at half-mast and will struggle to impose this product compared to a competition that is perhaps less class but just as well in the rendering.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.