- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: LCA Distribution
- Price of the tested product: 85 €
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200W
- Maximum voltage: 7.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
A carnivore, a raptor, a venomous snake, the brand new "small" capitalist merchant world of the Far East has nothing to envy to traditional predators Anglo-Saxon. After the snow wolf, the animal kingdom definitely inspires the communicating Chinese of Sigelei. The little hawk (accipiter badius) is a shikra, very present throughout the south of the Asian continent.
The series Chronus is now decked out with another version, a limited edition version of the Chronus 200W which differs slightly, not by the aesthetics (identical) but in terms of added features, among which you will appreciate the firmware update, the clock (mute fortunately), a system lock by 4 codes configurable , a positive pin adapter for inter-changing clearo resistors and TFR function that geeks of the regulated vape take care of programming for ever more perfect sensations.
Another point, which demonstrates the particular care that the R & D part brings to the efficiency of the onboard electronics, is the improvement of the response time to the pulse, reduced to the thousandth of a second, (it does not pretend to calculate), the US technicos Evolv DNA will have to hang on if they do not want to be left behind.
This "Starter Kit" is online on the website of the manufacturer 75,80 € (excluding shipping), it will certainly cost a little more expensive (around 90 €) in France and in a store (physical), Import fees require ... Let's see this in detail and in color.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 30
- Product Length or Height in mm: 133
- Product weight in grams: 300
- Materials composing the product: Zinc alloy, stainless steel grade 304, brass, resin
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top-cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent, I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 7
- Number of threads: 3
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 4.2 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The box only measures 88,2mm for 44mm wide (not counting 0,3mm of switch offset). In general thickness, the body (stainless steel "Gunmetal") is 29mm, to which we can add an offset of the screen and part of the decoration of 2mm and 3mm to the joystick button. Its empty weight is 153g and 245g with the 2 batteries.
The clearomizer shikra Black stainless steel tank measuring 44,75mm (without the 510 connection) for a thickness, at the base, of 24,5mm and 28mm at the level of the tank (Moonshot bubble 120 - 5,5ml), the 3,5ml tank (Moonshot 120 cylindrical) is 24mm in diameter.
The ato version 5,5ml weighs 55g. He is in many ways comparable to the Snowwolf and other Sobra whose tank options and various resistances he shares. The airflow is adjustable and the filling is done by the drip-top to unscrew. The positive pin and its silicone insulator are removable.
The functional kit therefore measures 132,95mm for a total weight, with 5,5ml of juice, of 305g.
The materials used are a zinc alloy (without aluminum contrary to the Chronus 200W) and SS stainless steel, the retractable positive pin is brass. The ato is stainless steel, the tanks are glass, the resistors are supplied in stainless steel (SUS 316L).
Let's note a curious little detail about the location of the 510 connection disk which is not exactly centered on the top-cap. On the front (screen side), it is 5mm edge, while at the back, it is only 3,75mm, a gap certainly small but can hinder the alignment (junction box / ato) with an ato of a diameter 30mm for example.
The opening of the energy compartment is handled by one finger, the closing clip is effective, the polarity directions are indicated for each battery, 2 x 18650 (not supplied). Presence of degassing vents.
The color TFT screen is circular, 22,5mm of internal diameter encased in 3mm of its periphery of protection, of 30mm of diameter, in relief of 2mm compared to the surface of the box. The facade concentrates all the features, including a golden button (for the test copy) of the joystick type 5 positions, and a micro USB input for reloading and firmware update (internal software).
The ergonomics are well worked with chamfers 45 ° with softened edges 8mm wide on the front and 10mm on the back, which ensure a comfortable grip and overcomes the lack of "natural" grip due to the material used (metal anodized vertically). The decor is sober in relief, the finishes are impeccable, the same for the clearomizer which will be discussed later.
A kit at first very well studied, not too cumbersome or heavy, certainly better suited to a man's hand but I advance maybe a little. The essential remains to be evaluated, this stuff vape it of hell or Rochereau?
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronics with code 4 digits
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Protection against short circuits from the atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection, Display of the voltage of vape course (depending on the mode), Display of the power of the current vape (depending on the mode), Display of the vape time since a certain date, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating Atomizer resistors, Temperature control of atomizer resistors, Supports firmware update, Display brightness adjustment, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes (on pc)
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? Clock
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 28
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
This is where the box shikra will show the main qualities of this kit, judge instead:
Protections and alerts
cut : in the event of short-circuit - Overvoltage ("supply Voltage is Too High") and under voltage - Internal overheating (PCB) ("Too Hot!") and coil in TC mode - battery over and under load (below 6,2V, or battery anomaly: "Check Battery" message) - Reverse polarity - Puff duration limit (programmable up to 20 seconds): "Vape Too Long" message - "Missmatch Atomizer" without possibility to vaper, occurs in case of bad atomizer configuration or non-compatibility with the box, the device automatically returns to USER mode.
Various warning messages for the cases mentioned above and: if a battery is below 3,4V and in the event of a voltage difference beyond 0,45V between the batteries: message "Unbalanced" - "Low resistance" for a coil below 0,05Ω - "Chek Atomizer" if there is no ato or contact problem - In TC mode, in case of resistance value under the programmed reference: the message "Retest Resistance" appears, the device will read automatically the value of the resistive present, it is up to you to lock the new value.
Other functions / options
Lock function by code at 4 digits (system locked vape not possible) - Choice of screen compositions whose persistent digital clock in USER mode (GUI position) or dial / hands style, persistent 10 seconds in idle mode.
- Screen brightness adjustment - Preheat programming - Power TCR / TFR modes (5 memorizations), SS304 / SS316 / SS317 / Ti1 / Ni200. In Power mode (WV) Possibility of various control and display options (Hard, Normal, Soft, User) - Lock function of programmed parameters - Choice of expression of temperatures in ° Centigrade or ° Farenheit - The option of reloading via a USB / microUSB connection is included in the box: DC 5V / 2.5A maxi, if you use an external charger (phone) without vaping during charging, the option is also possible via a computer, occasionally and to vape during the charging period, as well as upgrading the firmware (internal software) via the site of the builder.
Always in phase the buddies? perfect ! We continue with the technical specifications including the clearomiser.
Box shikra :
Output powers: from 10 to 200W in increments of 0,2W up to 50W and 0,5W beyond - Output voltage: 1.0 - 7,52V - Resistances allowed: from 0,05 to 3,0 Ohms - Controlled temperature range: 100 ° -300 ° C / 200 ° -570 ° F - Compatible with Kanthal, Ni200, Titanium and Stainless Steel Resistive (SS Stainless and Nichrome) - Two 18650 to 25A Batteries minimum (not included). "0.001s Instantaneous Firing Speed" (as we say in China), the famous instantaneous response to the pulse that I mentioned to you at the beginning, the calculations of TC, TCR / TFR, W, and any other preheat, are thus carried out in a minimum of time: no lag pulse (as we say at home).
Clearomizer Shikra Tank
Stainless steel body SS 303, capacity 5,5 or 3,5 ml according to the selected tank, supplied. Drip-tip resin (810 Widebore) of 7mm high and 6,25mm of useful aperture.
Lateral airholes at the base of 8mm X 2mm, adjustable by rotation of a ring.
Supplied resistors: MS-H 0.2 Ohm (60-120W) - MS 0.25 Ohm (40-80W) - Compatible with MS-M Mesh (ø 14,5 x 20mm) and other resistors from other brands such as Smok TFV 8 Baby , or the models of Coils w / Extra Pin: ø 13mm to the screwing at the base and 14,5mm of flange, (using the positive pin adapter provided).
Well, we went around, it was a bit long, we deserved the coffee break, right now ...
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Two white cardboard boxes are inserted in a thinner cardboard case, which shows and details the product front and back. A certificate of authenticity is on one side. The devices are well protected in molded compartments, semi rigid foam, from which they can not go out or move during periods of transport and other handling. Packaging is all right, with each box, a security of first opening.
The package contains:
the box Shikra 200W
Shikra Tank clearomizer 5,5ml (mounted)
1 tank glass cylinder (3,5ml)
1 USB / micro-USB cable
1 resistance MS-H - 0,20Ω (pre-installed)
1 MS Coil Resistance - 0,25Ω
1 bag of O-rings and spare profiles
1 pin + adapter for resistors
2 instructions for use including one in French (without magnifying glass)
What will we be able to vape with such promising material? I tell you this in the next chapter.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple handkerchief
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Please note that you must use 18650 batteries with a minimum discharge capacity of 25A and that except galley or unforeseen, charging via the box is not recommended, if you must do it, prefer a phone charger to the PC. "From the use of a good dedicated external charger, the life of your batteries depends on" young padawans.
Without telling you my life, I will still tell you that I usually juice in 30 / 70 or 20 / 80 PG / VG. To test the material that is entrusted to me, it has the advantage of considering whether or not the ato and its resistors are compatible with any type of juice. The less fluid viscosity of an 20 / 80 (than an 50 / 50), can pose a problem to the use of some proprietary resistors, such as poor circulation that invariably leads to a dry hit and the premature death of a coil to 3 €. Several times a day, the case can become expensive and the lungs filthy.
Let's detail the boot procedure for our neophyte readers. The top-cap unscrewed, the tank removed, you close the airholes. The operation is to soak the cotton a few drops of juice, 4 outdoor lights and the center of the resistance, from the edge by tilting. It is best not to pour juice vertically into the heating chamber, it will eventually flow through the vents (airholes) of the base. You can go up the ato and now fill it with the top-cap. You screw the drip-top and you still wait 5 good minutes. If you do each new use of resistance, you reduce considerably the previously mentioned disappointments (dry hit, trash). That's not all, we must now set the power to which you will heat the coil.
Open the airhole halfway, it'll help to vape. I will consider that you have successfully unlocked the system using the 4 magic numbers revealed in one of the manuals. Always reading the manual, you will choose the POWER mode and in this mode, the USER option (you have 4 hours). Rest your magnifying glass, you will switch briefly to trigger the reading of the resistance value. Normally the pre-installed should be announced to 0,20Ω. With the joystick, bring the power to 40W, you can switch and vaper some first puffs of 2 or 3 seconds to properly start the circulation effect of the juice. Let's go, you will adjust your vape at your convenience by increasing / decreasing the power and playing on the opening of the airholes.
You will notice a stepwise variation of the resistance value up to 0,3 Ω (and more sometimes), it is a phenomenon due to the quality of the resistive wire, its heating coefficient, the power to which it is subjected, the duration This is why the world of the vape has evolved towards temperature control and TCR / TFR modes that will adapt the transmitted signal to the resistance according to parameters specific to the nature of the wire used. . I refer you, for more details, to the Tutos of Vapelier who deal with the question.
Our shikra allows, of course, to configure and memorize the TCR / TFR settings according to the resistance we use. With 5 possible memorizations, according to your preferences, the heating coefficients can be parameterized 4 digits after the decimal point. For a basic temperature control, choose the type of resistive present on the ato (cold), the maximum temperature to which you want to vape, let you guide by the box (read and lock) and that's it.
The preheat function is also very useful for those who steam on an ato of RDA type with 4, 6 or 8 "porncoils" Super Snake Tiger mega multiwires, for 0,1 Ω to 180W, you can then choose to swing 200W during the first second of pulse (adjustments in increments of 0,01 seconds and 0,1W).
Here are the detailed manipulations to amuse you and tweak your vape in search of the Grail.
I am pleasantly surprised by the result of my tests. The ato is a clearomizer but it renders the flavors correctly, the use of the MS-M resistance to 0,2 Ω (Mesh *) brings this type of ato closer to drippers or good RDTA in terms of taste quality. The box provides a signal of high linear quality once correctly set, the vape is of any "beauty" if you allow me the expression. Coil designers now master their subject and steam production has become bluffing. The autonomy 60W (0,2 Ω) is very satisfactory too (2 tanks on a big day), despite a screen probably energy-consuming, especially when it is requested frequently as in the case of an evaluation. This last point also depends greatly on the quality and youth of the batteries, of course.
* Mesh coil: the particularity of which is to offer a large heating surface involving the same surface of cotton, we do not find these furrows of burns which in the long end end up causing a taste of calamine to our vape, this system is in generalized resistance, we will probably also soon see it marketed for rebuildables.
A hardware that has nothing to envy to RX 200 or DNA 200 chipsets, it is equivalent if we exclude the software support Escribe, only available for DNA, and perhaps also, the impossibility of obtaining a PCB equipped with spare. For the most part, that is to say, the vape is high-end material.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? In sub-ohm assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? the kit or the one of your choice.
- Description of the test configuration used: Box Shikra + Shikra Tank, resistance to 0,25Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any ato up to 29mm, sub-ohm or other
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
A note almost disappointing, as this kit appeared to me "well in all respects", the aesthetics, ergonomics, features and even the atomizer and its resistance especially Mesh, make it a tool for all the wishes , so all vapeu-x-ses (definitely inclusive writing, I do not do it, it's horror). I am neither a box fan nor clearomizer, the Vapelier team can testify, I tend to find them defects and their fragility scares me, (Carpenter of the building must be remembered) I really enjoyed vipping with this material, which I award Top Mod without even taking the advice of my colleagues.
It is true that it is very satisfying to be able to recommend a kit like this, for beginners and experienced, without restriction, without doubt, not finding what could jam, if not of course the price , high but in my opinion, justified. A very nice gift to offer to the being we love, often by the way, we do not say "charity starts well with oneself", it's true that I personally love myself, do not you?
Good luck to you, see you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.