- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 64.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 200 watts
- Maximum voltage: 7V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Kangertech, one of the world leaders of the vape, could not see the material of competition in the race for power without reacting. It's done with the two new KBOXs on the market: the 120 for 120W and the 200 we are going to talk about today.
An innovative proprietary chipset made its appearance at this manufacturer. It will be possible, shortly, to update it and we will talk about its other features later.
Two 18650 batteries are necessary for its operation. You will choose, given the power of the box, with high discharge capacity: no less than 30A. A charging module is integrated into the KBOX via a micro / USB connection.
In line with the NEBOX, its ergonomics are ensured by lateral parts in an arc. It is rather compact but remains wide enough for the feminine hands and weighs its weight once equipped.
Its price is very attractive, as only the Chinese are able to practice at this level of technology.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 22
- Product Length or Height in mms: 84
- Product weight in grams: 237
- Material constituting the product: Stainless steel, Aluminum / zinc, Brass
- Type of Form Factor: Box flat - double battery
- Decorative style: Modern
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The KBOX is mainly made of an aluminum / zinc alloy that makes it quite solid once assembled the two parts that concern you in common use. To access the dual battery cradle, you will remove the U-shaped cover that disengages by pulling on it. It remains maintained by simple interlocking. It has multiple ventilation holes that form a K, as well as the image of the manufacturer logo pierced on the arched side.
The part hosting the batteries is made of thermo-formed plastic, equipped with four lights allowing a possible degassing of the batteries. The contacts are brass spring-mounted but do not allow the insertion of button-top (with pin).
The facade features an oblong concave enclave that houses the switch at the top. The button is red plastic, it measures 6,75mm in diameter. Lower down, a polycarbonate magnifying window protects the screen. Then come the [+] and [-] setting buttons engraved according to their function, in red plastic too, 3,5mm in diameter. In the lower part and set back, is the micro / USB port for charging.
The top-cap is smooth, it does not allow the arrival of air from below. The 510 connection is stainless steel, the positive pin floating brass, allows him, the fixtures "flush".
The bottom-cap is pierced with seven degassing holes, it reveals the two heads of the cradle fixing screws.
Overall, the KBOX is well done. Its finishes are neat and, despite a slightly prominent position of the buttons, it does not seem that it is prone to untimely fire or disruptions.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 22
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Despite the explanations of the user manual, the use of the KBOX is simple, I will detail here its specificities. Safety being listed in the fixed protocol, I do not return, except to add protection against resistance too low.
The different information visible on the screen are:
Resistance value in ohm - voltage in operation - remaining charge level - power and / or temperature depending on the chosen mode.
Long simultaneous pressing of the [+] and [-] buttons will invert the display (right / left).
To turn on / off the box, five presses on the switch, classic.
A brightness change function is provided by a long simultaneous press (2 sec) of the switch and the [+].
With or without atomizer, you can select a mode depending on the resistive you will use by three presses on the switch. Then you will choose from four possible options: Ni (Nickel 200), Ti (Titanium), NiCr (Ni-Chrome), SUS (Stainless Steel). The temperature control is carried out with the adjustment knobs in ° F (from 200 to 600) or in ° C from (100 to 315).
A long simultaneous press (3 sec) on all buttons locks or unlocks the settings.
When you install a different ato, the screen displays "New Coil? Yes or No ", then choose the appropriate option.
Here is a classic setting in VW (variable Wattage) for a Kanthal resistive adjustable in increments of 0,1W.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
It's really a simple box, hardcover and opening like the boxes of matches which encloses the KBOX. Kangertech bet on a minimum price and provided the minimum: the box, a sheet with four black adhesive tabs (to stick on the batteries to hide the color, visible through the many holes in the lid), a warranty card and authenticity of the box that you can validate on the website of the manufacturer and a notice in English and ... gibberish. It is, say, an English translated by a kind of gogol translate into a hilarious French. I can not resist giving you a passage,
"During use of the resistance cable / Ni / Ti / NiCr / SUS, KBOX 120 / 200 can detect the value of the coil automatically when the coil is changed"
Just about all the description of the functions and modes is of this ilk, it made me laugh all the same.
Do not worry, I got to test everything despite the explanation of the instructions. You will do the same, I am sure, especially since everything works.
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The maximum duration of support in operation is ten seconds. After this time, the box does not respond. Pulse reactivity is good for powers up to 50W, beyond and depending on the chosen temperatures and resistance values, there is a little lag (latency). The efficiency of the V or W outputs is good, a slight downward deviation occurs at high power.
- Resistances supported in CT mode (temperature control): from 0.05Ω (0.01Ω for NiCr) - Types of wires supported by CT: Ni200, Titanium, NiCr (Ni-Chrome), SS (stainless steel) -
- Resistances supported in VW mode: from 0.05Ω.
The chipset is not too energy efficient despite the announced frequency of temperature control calculations and monitoring of the resistance value (1000times / second). The screen turns off after ten seconds of inactivity.
The vape is stable and the progressive heating at the beginning of the puff. No boost effect at the start. The charging module has a native memory application that separately manages the battery charge with a source output of 5V DC and 500mA 1,5 A. Disconnection of fully charged batteries prevents the start of a new cycle by case of premature loss of charge of one or both batteries. However, leave your device in charge only if you are present and remove the connection once the operation is completed. The charge indicator shows you when to replace the battery pair.
You can not memorize your settings by profiles like on a DNA. On the other hand, the TC settings according to the type of resistive remain in memory until you modify them even without batteries.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, Dripper Bottom Feeder, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of ato up to 22mm in diameter, sub ohm or higher mountings to 1 / 1,5 ohm
- Description of the test configuration used: Mini Goblin 0,64ohm - Mirage EVO 0,30ohm
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any type of ato in 510
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.2 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Here's what you need to know about Kangertech KBOX 200. I must admit that its performance and design make it a good box for all vapors. Its price will convince you to adopt it. Knowing that we rarely push our assemblies up to more than 150W, which already consumes a lot of energy and a lot of juice, I feel that if it is reliable in time, with these specificities, it's a business to seize.
The release of this material, promises a great fight among the designers of chipsets and firmwares, to advance further in the controls, security and quality of our vape. The Chinese took a long time to Americans on the types of resistive taken into account, and that too should evolve.
I thank you for your patient reading and say:
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.