- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Sigelei
- Price of the tested product: Between 57 and 65 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 80 watts
- Maximum voltage: 7.5
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Sigelei is in ambush over the Chinese giants Joyetech group and Kangertech group. The former forerunner of a lot of technologies in terms of vape is content today with a position of follower that does not give thanks to its brand image, even if the material from the manufacturer is today of a fairly constant quality.
The J80 is the little sister of the J150. Mini size but not nano, it can take advantage of its 80W power and a temperature control mode. The battery is internal and its aesthetic quite worked, very up-to-date.
Its price is in the range between 57 and 65 € because it is not yet available on French soil to my knowledge or resellers have shunned. This price is quite high for the category. Smaller than the VTwo Mini, it also has a lot less features and a higher price. More powerful than the nano box, it is displayed for the coup at a price of about twenty euros.
A rather strange commercial positioning, therefore, but which does not presume intrinsic qualities that I hope to find in this box available in black and red or in red and black. Do not laugh, that's exactly it!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 24.5
- Product Length or Height in mm: 67.5
- Product weight in grams: 138.1
- Material composing the product: Zinc alloy
- Type of Form Factor: Box mini - IStick type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The size of the J80 is much lower than a VTwo mini, the fault with an internal LiPo battery of 2000mAh which contributes greatly to the physical reduction. If I'm not a big fan of the LiPo batteries that are the perfect illustration of the planned obsolescence, it must be recognized that their chemical principle allows compacting conducive to space saving and also a higher intensity generally than external IMR batteries .
The aesthetic is well fashionable with tight lines, few rounds and the choice of a duo of colors, very much in the spirit of what Smoktech can do at the moment, for example. This has its charm and it also operates when taken in hand. Made of zinc alloy / aluminum, the J80 has a very reasonable weight and, if the touch is not fluffy in the spirit of Elfin for example, palmar sensation is good. The box is well in hand and the switch falls naturally under the index or under the thumb.
The buttons click a little in their respective locations but remain fully operational. The firing button is certainly not the most comfortable in the world but it reacts healthily, ditto for the control buttons that display the peculiarity of not being the same size. This was designed to stick to the general aesthetic but, with a little practice, we realize that it is now easier to find the judgment button [+] or [-] button.
The finish is correct and the manufacturing by molding does not present visible defects. The top-cap is surmounted by a connection 510 quite small but effective, whose positive pin is spring and which has air channels for the few atomizers that still take their air by this means. The bottom-cap has fifteen vents to ventilate the battery and allow degassing in case of problems.
So, we do not find anything infamous in the realization of the J80. On the contrary, the physical presentation is rather auspicious.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Display of current vape voltage, Display of current vape power , Atomizer Resistor Temperature Control, Clear Diagnostic Messages
- Accu Compatibility: Proprietary Accus
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of used batteries: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Not applicable
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 24
- Accuracy of the fully charged output power of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the atomizer resistance
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Medium, because there is a noticeable difference depending on the value of the resistance of the atomizer
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The diversity of features is not really the highlight of the J80. It operates in variable power mode and in temperature control mode. Point.
If the power mode has no striking feature, the temperature control mode is reduced to its simplest expression. No TCR, it will be necessary to be content with Ni200, titanium or SS316, without any possibility to implement by yourself the heating coefficients of other resistive. This is not disqualifying and many vapers are content with less than that but it remains necessary to compare it to other boxs in the same power / price slot and offer more for the same price.
The internal battery has a consistent autonomy of 2000mAh which will ensure a good time of use at median power.
The principle of locking the box is pleasant because Sigelei has taken advantage of a switch on / off that we have already had elsewhere but remains a consistent alternative to the famous five clicks that continue to exist here but only to put the J80 in bypass.
The operation itself is very simple and intuitive. 3 clicks on the switch when the box is lit to access a four-item menu that gives you the choice between POWER for power, Ti1 for titanium, Ni200 for ... Ni200 and SS for stainless steel 316L ( and that one). You move in the menu with the [+] and [-] buttons and confirm your changes with a switch.
If you choose SS for example because the resistive component of your resistance is stainless steel 316, the menu will ask you if you want the Fahrenheit or the Celsius as a reference unit and then, go, the main screen shows you your temperature and you just have to vary it to the envy between 100 and 300 ° C.
A small note though. The temperature control will simply not work if you do not calibrate the resistance of your atomizer. To do this, it's simple (do not follow the instructions, there is a translation error that could mislead you). First, adjust the box on one of the three resistive proposed to engage the temperature control mode. Then you press the switch and the [-] button at the same time, the display shows the resistance of your atomizer and it's over, you can release. In passing, do this manipulation when the atomizer has not been heated to go on a resistance unaltered by the temperature of a previous switch.
Beware of two important things: plugging the box to recharge it does not allow you to vape with it, which seems a little anachronistic today and the charging port is located below the box, which is not never the perfect situation to load without dismantling the ato.
Thus ends the chapter of the functionalities.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The packaging remains in a correct average in comparison with the tariff requested.
You will find the box, an ugly translucent silicone protection skin, but always interesting if you are docking with your J80 and a cable for recharging.
The notice is translated into several languages, including a French rather academic but sufficient to be understood. There is also a warranty card. The cardboard packaging takes the red and black colors of the box. It's not Nirvana but it's honest.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Not applicable, the battery is only rechargeable
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The latency between the support of the switch and the heating of the resistive is in the low average, a good point. The chipset makes a nice vape, rather round than incisive but the power seems to me a little below that displayed. Nothing too serious because there is still a general power comfortable for versatile use. But addicted to a stretched vape will find the rendering a little soft.
The smoothing of the signal seems coherent, one does not really feel weakness, nor at the beginning of the puff, nor in its continuity. But we're not really on a super-responsive chipset like the Joyetech of the VTwo Mini or the SX or Elfin DNA.
In temperature control mode, that's fine. No pumping effect is obtained. The limit is really well but in a great sweetness, which makes a vape quite unctuous and controlled.
On very low resistance and 80W, we feel the limit of the system though. The vape is powerful but below what can give another box pushed to an identical power. The J80 is rather typed to stay between 30 and 50W or it is quite credible. What will satisfy, let us be clear, 80% of the users.
Otherwise, no problem to report. The box does not heat and is reliable within a day of use. To be checked over a longer period of time, of course, but there does not seem to be any "corridor noise" about possible failures of the J80.
Between 30 and 40W, the autonomy ensures a comfortable use time.
Recommendations for use
- Type of battery used during the tests: The batteries are owners on this mod
- Number of batteries used during the tests: The batteries are owners / Not applicable
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? A small clearo of the Atlantis EVO type
- Description of the test configuration used: Zephyr, Narda, OBS engine, Vapor GIant Mini V3, Atlantis EVO
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A small and versatile clearo
was the product liked by the reviewer: Bof, this is not the craze
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 3.7 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The J80 is a box that can be attractive when making a purchase. In the category of versatile boxes, quite small and ergonomic, it can be a credible choice, provided however to vape in standards of vape.
Fans of very low montages or very high powers will not find their account but the girl will make a nice tandem with a clearomizer of the Atlantis EVO or Nautilus X type, depending on the type of vape desired. It can also result in a reconstructible of measured size like a Mini Goblin or others of the same size and support a reasonable dripper.
This is not the box that will upset the vape or even the hierarchy established in this slot but, as long as you fall in love with its nice face, the small certainly devoid of genius is also devoid of malice.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.