- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Tech Steam
- Price of the tested product: 54.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
For less than a year, Eleaf has been trying to decline its Istick range following the same theme: ease of use, price floor and good quality of vape. And each of the brand's products meets a well deserved success with vapers of all styles as business is good to do by procuring this type of equipment.
However, some references have been able to experience reliability concerns relayed by forums and social networks. The brand reacted soundly by increasing the quality of its products and returning to boxs using external batteries to deal with some well-known LiPo failures.
The all-new 100W TC Istick is a continuation of TC 60W, which represents a fine example of newfound reliability and comes with renewed confidence. Beautiful, especially in an immaculate white livery (also available in black and gray), she is of average size for a double battery and presents well. Sold at a very low price, like its sisters, it could be likely to attract lovers of high power not wanting to invest more than necessary to obtain them.
Upgradable, the firmware is lying the box name since the latest V1.10 version provides access to 120W. there, it becomes serious, especially for 54.90 €.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 23
- Product Length or Height in mms: 94
- Product weight in grams: 272
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 3
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Average
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
By comparing the incomparable, namely the very first 20W Istick and the latest TC 100W Istick, you can see how far Eleaf has come in so few months. While other manufacturers cyclically encounter the same finishing or reliability issues despite a fast versioning (Pionner For You for example), Eleaf shows us the extent of its questioning here.
The box is of good quality, well machined, well finished. All aluminum of a great thickness, it is covered with a satin paint which will not catch your prints and you will therefore avoid having problems with the NCIS or the Experts. Aluminum is aviation grade but beware, the box does not fly.
The screen, quite classic, is located in the center of the box on a black band and three buttons of the same color are placed at the bottom of this band. There are the eternal buttons [+] and [-] that are used to increment or decrement power and temperature and the third button (which I really like so much it makes the manipulations practical) used to switch between the different modes offered by the TC 100W: variable power, temperature control in Ni200, Ti, SS316 and TCR configurable according to your choice of resistive (3 locations), plus a Bypass mode that turns your electro box into an unregulated mod, like a mechanical bit of things close.
The offer is therefore broadly expansive and makes no impasse on new latest generation.
But the physical characteristic that definitely hangs the eye right away is the lack of switch! Mince, I imagined already unplugging the cables to power the ato but fortunately, a miracle occurred and my brain went back to work normally (or about). The switch is present, it is constituted by one of the covers that contain the batteries on which you just have to press, rather upwards, to trigger the firing!
In short, an impressive quality if it relates to the tariff and some innovations that are worth seeing. It's a hell of a good start!
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the current vape voltage, current vape power display, atomizer resistors temperature control, support firmware update, clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The details were particularly cured by Eleaf.
First, we have a mechanical locking system consisting of a two-position button on the top-cap that allows to block the switch and unlock. It's ultra-simple, easy to implement and you will stop counting your clicks once and for all. I add that the button is rather typed "hard" so no risk of nuisance tripping. It's solid.
We return for a moment on the switch which is simple in fact as the egg of Christopher Columbus. One of the two covers is movable and, when pressed, it presses an inner metal button that fires. It's immediate, no latency, no missfire, well thought out, well done, nothing to criticize! And one of the nicest switches I know. Even if the concept had already been developed before, like at Smok for example, here it is especially well done. The hood does not move, everything is well in place, there is a reassuring little click to the pressure, it's perfect. Be careful though, it is not a trigger switch whose full length is usable. The switch part is at the top of the mod even if, done test, it can also be triggered by other places by putting the appropriate pressure.
I do not go back to the presence of the famous third button that switches between the different modes and, alone, justifies the presence of this box on the market as ergonomics gains in simplicity.
The TC 100W is used with two rechargeable batteries and will therefore provide a comfortable power of 120W in this case. But it can also be used with a single battery, which is interesting. In this case, it will be limited to 75W, necessarily. You go on a trip with two batteries. One of them breaks down, who stays? Well, there remains the other one that will allow you to continue to vape quietly. Not stupid at all.
In temperature control, values are now normalized: from 100 ° to 315 ° C, between 0.05Ω and 1.5Ω. In variable power, the box takes resistances from 0.1Ω up to 3.5Ω. What to see come widely, both in power-vaping dripper on clapton coil than in the diet of an old genesis mounted 0.20mm Kanthal (for younger vapers, I said it's not a joke, the Kanthal in 0.20 does exist.
Another little devil magic but very useful: if your resistance is greater than 1.5Ω, the box goes directly into WV mode.
All the useful protections are available, of course, and there is a cut-off that occurs after 10 seconds of pressing the switch.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A multi-language manual that includes French, which is even understandable by a French speaker! It's written in good French and more, it's complete. Bravo!
The box is delivered in a classic white cardboard box and includes, besides the box, a USB / micro USB cable and the manual. I pass on the rest of the animations like the possibility to scratch if you want, to QR code as an egg and all the usual elements as useful as a stethoscope to a duck.
A very consistent packaging for the price. I note that Eleaf said that, despite the presence of a micro USB port, it is best to recharge its batteries in a dedicated charger. And how right they are! I urge you to extend the life of your batteries and keep them healthy. The micro USB port is really only present for the firmware upgrade or you troubleshoot in nomad mode for charging. Of course, you will be sure to use batteries with a minimum 25A CDM unless you want to upgrade to TF20's 1h.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
I will try not to dwell on the use that is simple and common to many boxes.
There are the highlights:
- The Istick is well in hand.
- The vape is stable, with all power.
- The change of the batteries is childish.
- The switch is terrible!
- The settings are easy to do, almost without thinking, naturally.
- The versatility of use is impressive.
And there are the weak points:
- The micro USB port is placed under the bottom of the box.
- The pitch of the 510 connection is not intuitive to find.
There remains the essential: the quality of vape due to the regularity of the signal and the computing capacity of the chipset. The vape is very smooth and very constant. It can be said without hesitation that we are not on a chipset at a discount and that it thus joins chipsets much more "sides". There is no operating problem and the use is greatly facilitated.
I note, however, two points that may be important to some:
The display shows a lower resistance of about 10 to 12% compared to reality. This does not affect the quality of the signal in classic vape but may be inconvenient if needed a high calculation accuracy for power-vaping for example.
The other point is a slight boost effect when starting the signal when firing. This is a defect that is not really one, shared by many mods, but can also be disabling from the moment you vent within the limits of your atomizer and your editing. In this case, in variable power, the boost effect may be able to generate a hot taste from the puff, the time that the heat and your suction attract the liquid on the capillary.
Nothing crippling but we are not there to hide things.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT2, Avocado, Mini Royal Hunter, Mutation X V4
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any atomizer whose diameter is less than or equal to 23mm
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
It's still a good number coming out of Eleaf hat that does not miss its entrance into the high powers in TC mode.
The rare defects noticed are very light and do not affect the quality of the vape or the use. The qualities on the other hand are numerous and make it possible to appropriate the mod very quickly and to be in total confidence.
The quality of manufacture, already noticed on the TC 60W, is still a leap forward and Istick TC 100W joins here the most beautiful Chinese productions without having to blush a possible comparison.
Simple, beautiful and cheap, here is typically the nomad box for big vapers. The one who sends without regimbering and whose price dispenses too much attention in the movements of everyday life. She is there to vaper with you and not to mobilize your concentration at any time to avoid falling on the tarmac. That's not bad.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.