- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 56.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 75 watts
- Maximum voltage: Not applicable
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
These are not the boxes that are missing at Eleaf, I must admit, nor the box mini elsewhere. In the power 75W however, the PICO fills the lack of miniaturization whose brand had become a specialty since the Istick range was born with the Istick Mini 20W.
PICO for: Preferable Innovative Compact Outstanding. Which basically means that it is better and remarkably exceptional to be innovative, without taking too much space, which is not wrong in a certain sense and rather very true concerning the box.
We will talk about a Starter kit as it is customary to define a set-up, consisting of a box (or a mod) and his own ato, here the Mini Melo III, an 2ml clearomizer of capacity.
The set is proposed to 56,90 € in a complete package, with two notices in French, please. A really affordable price for a material of such good quality, accessible to first-time vapers as well as experienced veterans.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 23
- Product Length or Height in mms: 70.5
- Product weight in grams: 190
- Material composing the product: Stainless Steel, Brass, Stainless Steel grade 304
- Form Factor type: Classic box - VaporShark type but in mini
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 3
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 2
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
To complete the dimensions given above, know that the width of this box is 45mm. It is, moreover, perfectly ergonomic, its sides having the shape of a circular arc of 23mm of diameter. The weight of 190g evoked includes the ato (empty) and the battery, in addition to the box.
The top-cap of course has an 510 connection whose positive brass pin is floating but also, and it's quite original, a cap of 21 mm diameter 7mm thickness of out-flush top cap. He is in SS (Stainless Steel) 304 as the box and body of the Mini Melo. It serves as a clasp and negative contact to the battery which is thus inserted by the positive pole in a cylindrical housing, the opposite side to the functions of switch, recharge and screen.
The bottom-cap is also original, since it will house the degassing vents, the [+] and [-] adjustment knobs, as shown in the illustration below.
Four screws allow disassembly of the top and bottom-caps, this separation of the body of the box allows the relative access to the chipset / screen and housing and positive connection of the battery.
The set is well designed, a very good build quality, even if you can see a slight floating buttons and switch buttons in their homes, it is not a problem.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Switching to mechanical mode, Display of the charge of the batteries, Display of the value of the resistance, Protection against short circuits coming from the atomizer, Protection against the reversal of polarity of the accumulators, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware, Diagnostic messages clear
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Three modes of vape are allowed with this box:
- The Bypass mode (protected mecan) which only takes into account the charging potential and the capacity of the battery, with a resistance range between 0,1 and 3,5 ohms.
- The Variable Wattage (VW) mode, in the same resistance range as the Bypass mode, offers 1 to 75W in increments of 0,1W (long press on the setting buttons increases the scrolling speed).
- And finally TC (Temperature Control) mode and its three memories of the initial function TCR (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance), the device can support several resistive son in temperature control and resistances between 0,05 and 1,5Ω. TC mode includes 200, Titanium, and SS 316 (Stainless Steel) resistors. The temperatures taken into account range from 100 to 315 ℃ (200 to 600 ° F).
The Oled display constantly informs you of the charge status of the battery, the power to which you are set and, during the vape, the duration of the pulse, the resistance value and the voltage requested from your battery. In TC mode, M1, M2 or M3 appears on the top right of the Ws to tell you what initial setting you are on.
You can preserve your battery from the consumption of the screen, once your settings made, by switching to the "Stealth" mode that gets rid of it. Rotating the display will also be possible, we will come back to it.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
It is in a cardboard box with the usual Eleaf decor that you will find, on two floors, all the components of the kit, namely:
- 1 x Mod iStick PICO (without battery)
- 1 x Eleaf Melo III Mini Atomizer
- 1 X Resistance Eleaf EC Head 0.3ohm
- 1 X Resistance Eleaf EC Head 0.5ohm
- 4 x silicone replacement gaskets
- 1 x USB cable
- 2 x User Manuals in French.
This is perfectly suitable for a starter kit under 60 €. A serial number to scratch you will confirm the authenticity of your purchase, on the site of Eleaf, here: http://www.eleafworld.com/.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
The PICO allows very low mountings in resistance value but we must also keep in mind that it will deliver maximum 75W. It is therefore not really useful to consider down to 0,20 ohm effectively, regardless of the functional mode chosen.
- For light up ou switch off your box, 5 quick clicks on the switch.
- Stealth Mode (screen off): Press the switch and the [-] button simultaneously, the vape information is displayed momentarily during the pulse, then the screen goes out.
- Locking / unlocking settings: press the [+] and [-] buttons simultaneously for 2 seconds.
- Rotate the display: box off, simultaneously press the [+] and [-] adjustment buttons for 2 seconds. The display rotates 180 °.
- Change mode: press 3 quickly on the switch to switch from one mode to another: VW - Bypass - TC (Ni, Ti, SS, TCR-M1, M2, M3). Press the [+] and [-] buttons to choose the mode, once done, validate with the 1 switch once, or wait 10 seconds on the interface without touching anything.
- TCR setting : Turn off the box. Select the TCR menu corresponding to your type of resistive wire, enter one of the available 3 M (buttons [+] and [-]), confirm your choice (validate at the switch: 1 clic). You will then refer to the manual that lists, depending on the type of resistive, the TCR values to be selected using the adjustment buttons. Once done, validate the switch once, turn on the box and go!
I refer you to the manual for the settings of the modes TC and VW, which have nothing special or complex to perform.
Let's talk briefly about the Mini Melo III that accompanies the box. It is a clearomizer with proprietary Eleaf EC Head resistors, which you will find at two different values in the package: 0,3 and 0,5Ω. They are not compatible with the TC mode because probably made of Kanthal A1, I did not get to recognize them by the sensors. There are, available to the various materials supported by your box for TC mode. Before shutting down your ato, when you first start up, soak your 2 Resistance or 3 drops of juice.
The pyrex tank accepts 2ml juice reserve, Eleaf advises to always keep 10 90% juice inside, probably to prevent leakage and / or fouling of the coil by deposit of non-vaporized materials.
The filling is done from the top, top-cap unscrewed, as shown in the illustration below.
The airflow, of original and discrete design, is regulated by rotation of the bottom-cap ring. You then have access to a vape from very tight to air according to your feelings.
The 510 drip tip offers a useful diameter of 5,5 mm for suction. It is designed in two materials: Delrin internally and stainless steel outside, which gives it a good heat insulation, generated by high power.
The box / ato set is effective, without being exceptional for the Melo, but rather convincing for the PICO. This small box is very responsive, low energy (in VW Stealth mode), it satisfies the high demands and is perfect from 15 to 50W.
The functions are reliable: the box cuts after ten seconds of pulse, warms moderately to 75 W and 0,25Ω by steaming frequently. It is not expressly recommended to recharge your battery through the internal module and micro USB port, especially via a PC to 500mAh, but it can be useful when you can not do otherwise. The maximum load capacity is 1Ah. If you are using a wall charger, make sure it does not exceed this "output" value.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? The one you have will be fine from 0,25 ohm.
- Description of the test configuration used: Melo mini V 3 to 0,25ohm 18650 35A
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: The kit is self-sufficient but you can opt for the ato of your choice
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Let's add that you will be able, when an update is available, to upgrade the firmware of the PICO. Already, you can count on the announced performances, the reliability of the measurements and the calculations carried out to adapt your material to the best possible vape in complete safety. If this material is as durable as it is accurate, it is a very good deal, profitable to a large number of vapers and I include of course these ladies, who will not fail to appreciate the different colors proposed.
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.