- Sponsor who has loaned the product for the magazine: Do not wish to be named.
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 230W
- Maximum voltage: 7V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The great comeback of Pionner 4 You is today through the IPV8 which succeeds IPV6 already well noticed in its not so distant time. One wonders well what happened to the IPV7 which has disappeared in the records of a brand engineer ... It is clear that the IPV saga continues for the Chinese manufacturer.
Rarely will a manufacturer have divided vapors with its products at this point. There are fans of the brand and those who abhor it. But it is clear, beyond the sterile quarrels, that the brand holds good for a long time and offers timely interesting products even if some old references were not devoid of defects. Some may blame him for lacking the spirit of innovation but the simple fact of following the movement in real time is already, at the scale of rapid technical developments or performance, a great victory in itself.
This IPV8 is equipped with a Yihie chipset, the SX330-F8 powered by two 18650 batteries, displays a claim of 230W accessible and has a variable power mode and a full temperature control. We expected no less for a product in the current trend. The whole being proposed at a median price of 79.90 €, justifiable by the promised power and the supposed quality of the electronics.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28
- Product Length or Height in mm: 88
- Product weight in grams: 233.8
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Plastic
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of user interface buttons: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Good, not the button is very responsive
- Number of parts in the product: 1
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.9 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Tight lines, sharp angles, the IPV8 has an aesthetic of its own and is reminiscent of the latest productions from Smoktech, the analogy stopping there, Smok going much further on this niche. The grip is nice, the dimensions having been thought for that. Even if the height is normalized to the category, the width and depth, added to the angular edges allow the hand to truly encompass the entire object.
A piece of pseudo suede was reported on the back of the box to facilitate the grip. Although the comfort is increased, the material is a real dust collector and other crumbs. No doubt it would have been better to favor a rubberized piece to avoid this pitfall. As long as we are on this subject, it is a pity, in a pure aesthetic concern, not to have included the piece on the mod in a housing made for instead of simply sticking over it. Located at the top of the suede, there is the micro-USB port that will be used to recharge the batteries.
The IPV8 combines the topics to serve its purpose. Aluminum ensures the rigidity of all by serving as a skeleton, the different walls are, they, hard plastic. The battery door, sitting below the box is plastic too and its mode of operation by clipping / unclipping, using a fairly loose hinge, remains effective even if it is allowed to assume a lower reliability over time.
The switch is correctly placed and falls naturally under the index or the thumb even if I regret a little that its size is so reduced. However, it is efficient and never fails to use. The [+] and [-] buttons, located above the OLED screen on one of the facades, are easy to find and use. The material of all the controls left me perplexed, I hesitate between a very light aluminum or a plastic mimetic well ... in doubt, I opt for the latter.
The 510 connector is simple and has no vents. We could have wished a piece of higher quality even if it does its job, helped by a thread very well machined.
On balance, even if the configuration and aesthetics of the IPV8 is very reminiscent of the IPV6, we are on a seductive product whose perceived quality remains a bit below the competition but the efforts made on anodization worthy of the name and an assembly despite everything very correct catch this impression.
The screen is quite small but remains visible and clear and that's what matters. Slightly set back from the surface, it will avoid possible shocks.
- Type of chipset used: SX
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No, nothing is planned to feed an atomizer from below
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The features offered by the IPV8 are up to date and do not detract from the current boxs panorama. A power of 230W, probably a little optimistic, for less than 80 € would have had enough to leave dreamers the oldest vapers a while ago.
Thus, we have a traditional variable power mode, usable on a scale of 7 to 230W within resistance limits between 0.15 and 3Ω. At least that's what the manufacturer claims, but for trying, the box is still fired around 0.10Ω! I deduce that the limits are more of the usual recommendations, so I advise you to follow them.
We also have a complete temperature control mode that offers you native not less than three resistive: Ni200, titanium, SS316 but also the possibility of using the SX Pure, a kind of wireless resistance that we owe to Yihie and who claims for a better longevity and a better health. Having not used it yet, I will not develop but we will try in the near future to test an atomizer equipped with this technology.
The temperature control is coupled with a TCR module that will allow you to implement the resistive wire of your choice. It should be noted that in all cases, the temperature range will oscillate between 100 and 300 ° C in a resistance scale between 0.05 and 1.5Ω.
As usual with the Yihie chipsets, you will have to familiarize yourself with the Joules since it is on this unit that you will influence to use the temperature control. The manipulations are simple and traditional at the foundry. Basically, we set the chosen temperature and we adjust in Joule the power needed to find the vape to your taste. If it sounds complex in theory, in fact it is not and we are surprised to use this mode in a very intuitive way, the taste is it not ultimately the only important standard?
For the record and succinctly, a joule, unit of energy, is equal to one watt per second.
The ergonomics of control is quite simple even if it differs from that of Joyetech or Evolv for example. You must first calibrate the resistance by simultaneously pressing the [+] and [-] buttons. With the IPV8, you can block the switch by clicking three times. by clicking five times, you enter the menu where the following items are available:
- Mode: Power or Joule (Temperature Control)
- System: To switch the mod to Off. To turn it back on, simply click on the switch five times.
- Version: Displays the version number of the chipset (theoretically upgradable but practically there is never any upgrade ...).
- Exit: To exit the menu
By choosing the Joule mode, you have access to other items:
- Unit: Sets the temperature unit (Celsius or Fahrenheit)
- Temp: To set the chosen temperature
- Coil: Choice of the resistive wire (SS316, Ni200, titanium, SX Pure or TCR, in the latter case, the following step allows you to adjust the heating coefficient according to your wire)
Finally, just add that all the necessary protections have been implemented to vaper safely. Remember, however, to size your batteries according to your use, the box can deliver 45A output, it would be a bunch to use batteries low discharge current if you intend to vape at high power .... unless you want to make headlines, of course.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
A cardboard box, the box, a notice and a USB cord. Point.
It is certainly not likely to compete for the packaging of the year but that's enough. The notice is in English, which is still illegal in our country to my knowledge and there are no more "goodies" than good feelings in the head of an enarque. But nothing infamous for the category, we saw more elitist material arrive in bubble paper ...
Appreciations in use
- Transport facilities with the test atomizer: Ok for a side pocket of Jean (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
It is in this specific chapter that the IPV 8 gives the best of itself.
Indeed, the performance is really at what you can expect from a Yihie chipset. Precision of the signal, absence of latency, everything converges towards a vape tasty and round but also proper to specify the flavors. The rendering is impeccable and does not lend itself to criticism.
This is valid for the entire power scale, regardless of the resistance used, low or high. It's really phenomenal to see how this mod behaves and its electronic reliability in any vape domain. With a triple coil dripper or a simple clearo, the result is identical: it's perfect. The accuracy of the settings is daunting and a single watt can sometimes make the difference. Magical !
In temperature control, there is enough to forget all the other competitors. The system developed by Yihie is effective, we know it for a long time but, each time, we can only be amazed by the precision of the technology. No pumping effect here, no approximation, the signal yet tortured in this mode seems even predictive as the vape is sumptuous. Even for me who am a fan of variable power (or variable voltage), I falter on my foundations as the result seems perfect and unsurpassable.
Yihie's mastery in the field of chipsets is known and P4U gives him a mechanic at the height. The mod does not heat and even if it warms a little, pushed to its limits, one wonders how the internal temperature can be regulated as well. At median power (between 40 and 50W), the box remains cold and stability in use continues throughout the day is dreamy.
An enchantment worthy of boxs of a higher category.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All
- Description of the test configuration used: Taifun GT3, Psywar Beast, Tsunami 24, Vapor Giant Mini V3, OBS Engine, Nautilus X
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Any 25 atomiser with maximum diameter
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
The rendering of vape, whatever power or temperature it is, commands respect. Accurate and round at the same time, it charms with its homogeneity and convinces with its stability. What really ask the question of cracking, especially since the autonomy is rather at the top of the table.
The IPV8 is attractive and marks the return of P4U at the best level, after an IPV6 which had set the first fruits. Of course, it is not exempt from some small defects that I mentioned above but, compared to the experience of vape, all this is reduced to a trickle.
I grant him a Top Mod for his controlled performances and the subtlety of his rendering.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.