- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Wholesaler Francochine
- Price of the tested product: 58.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable voltage electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 280 W
- Maximum voltage: 8 V
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.08 Ω
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
Little by little, Tesla (or Teslacigs) has established itself as a very serious manufacturer, rather specialized and known in our country for its powerful boxes, made for the direct vape and send the sauce.
The Invader V3 was directly inspired by American products such as Hexohm or Surric and, it is clear that the product had been a great surprise, both for the vapogeeks happy to be able to reach high powers for a low price but also for distributors because the box sold as croissants in a bakery in the morning before mass.
To give a continuation to this saga, it was therefore necessary to floor on a new product, positioned in the same tariff range and which would give more or better than the previous version. Suffice to say that the bar is located high enough and it will be necessary that this V4 deserves its laurels.
So we have a box whose concept is similar to that of its illustrious predecessor: a box that operates in a single mode, the variable voltage, which has no screen and rather promotes the vape & feel that wants to rule more harmoniously to taste only on a graduated scale of power. Which, after all, is far from being an idiot for a vape system intended primarily to become a taste vector of sensations.
280 W, 8 V, 0.08Ω. Here are three numbers of the essential data sheet of this mod and a nice indication of what it will do for you: send tension in your atomizer, like any other box, but with power, low latency and absolute enjoyment if the rendering is to match.
A fourth number remains imposing: 58.90 €. This is the price you will have to pay to get this passionate object. Suffice to say that by proposing to 1 / 3 the rate generally requested for this type of box, the Invader V4 will be, no doubt, the attraction of this fall 2018. Provided, however, that the user experience joins the promising datasheet. What we will use to decipher. Attention, this box is primarily for confirmed vapers ... and greedy.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 28
- Product Length or Height in mm: 92
- Product weight in grams: 283
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Excellent, it is a work of art
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All the components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical metal on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Adjustment Knob
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent, I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Vapelier's note on quality feelings: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Aesthetically, a first noticeable change is needed. Finished the Jerrycan badass look of the 3 version, Tesla imposes a very massive, futuristic drawing and pulling more on the SF than on a gasoline can. Some may regret this choice because it is true that the adventurer look of the previous had an undeniable charm.
Do not panic, it retains a massive rather masculine look and the drawing was cured by the house designers. No curvy curves here, but sharp, sharp lines and a massiveness affirmed by subtle and judiciously placed straight engravings to accentuate the Bauhaus effect, industrial and utilitarian. In short, we remain on simple codes but thought to evoke power and reliability. It's different but it's successful.
This massiveness is also found, of course, in the size of the box which returns his illustrious ancestor to the rank of boxinette for damsel Sunday. The dimensions have increased to reach a respectable mass that will not be on all hands. The cause is simple, the Invader IV can feed on different types of batteries: 18650, 20700 and 21700. Therefore, there is room to welcome newcomers and thus enjoy greater autonomy and a discharge stream cut for high aerobatics. Of course, we are dealing here with a double-battery, it takes what it takes to send clouds!
The switch was the most anticipated element on this new version because the previous was a little hard to handle in the long run and imposed a strong enough pressure of the finger. Here is butter. The trigger is clean, does not require a titan force and the button is very pleasant to handle. A real success that is, in my opinion, a plus undeniable on this new version.
While doing so, Tesla also touched up the voltage adjustment potentiometer. Well took the engineers because the result is much more comfortable than the usual American-style potentiometer in which you have to slip a nail or weigh all his index finger to get to move the room. There, more problem, the knob is flexible but sufficiently restrained not to move alone and the central relief largely allows to turn the knob according to his desire. A second improvement, a second success.
In the series of notable improvements, we see the appearance of a vertical led of beautiful size to inform us about the battery charge rate. Blue, everything is hot! Green, we are at 50% charge and Red, it's over you must reload fissa. This idea had already been exploited before by other brands but, finally, the idea is good, very visual and informative, it seems quite suitable for this type of mod.
The connection board is operational and can mount atos up to 25mm diameter. This is sufficient for most proposals. Of course, we do not have for this price a reassuring Fat Daddy and we may regret the slightly weaker diameter of 18mm and a conventional appearance that strikes a bit in so much affirmed massiveness but we will console with a pin 510 spring, hard enough, and a platinum that does its job without bouncing off or posing that particular problems.
The battery door is one of the flanks of the box and holds by two magnets of good size. The outfit is perfect and we quickly find the hand to remove it and put it back. There are two large longitudinal openings and two rows of three holes for any possible degassing. It is amply sized for the purpose of the Invader. Moreover, the bottom cap also offers us five vents for the same function. Suffice to say that the box is ready to heat with as much air circulation. The inner cavity accommodating the battery cradles is clean and perfectly arranged. There are spring connection pads and the famous battery extraction tab.
On the opposite side of the battery door, we notice the Tesla logo in the central position and a micro-USB port that will help you if you are outside and you have forgotten your spare batteries. However, avoid using this charging method on a regular basis, an external charger of good quality will ensure a much longer life of your batteries and a more controlled load.
To close this chapter, it remains for me to talk about the materials used. Here, Tesla offers us aluminum in large majority, which allows our Invader to display a weight quite correct and far from corresponding to its size. 144 gr nue and 283's rigged with its rechargeable batteries, it's rather light in the end for an imposing object. The machining is very precise and displays a mechanical finish far superior to the third Invader of the name. Ditto for painting that gives a tinted look in the mass so it is well posed. What to see coming months or years of quiet use without risk of alopecia as we have seen sometimes on the previous installment.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Battery polarity reversal protection
- Accusability: 18650, 20700, 21700
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? No
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Not applicable.
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
As we can imagine, the features of the box are legion and it is also what we ask. No temperature control or even variable power, the chipset is entirely devoted to one thing: send tension to your assembly.
To do this, you will use your unique means of adjustment: the rotary potentiometer. This one is engraved with five main symbols.
- The I: Delivers 3 V
- II: Deliver 3.4 V
- The III: Delivers 4.2 V
- IV: Deliver 5.6 V
- The V: Deliver us trouble because here it is 8 V that the machine will send ...
Of course, it is possible to refine these settings by opting for all the intermediate positions but do not forget an important thing: here, we adjust the taste, not the eye.
The box is nevertheless equipped with sufficient protection to ensure a safe vape:
- We click five times on the switch to turn on or off.
- A ten-second cut-off is present.
- The box protects you from a possible reversal of the batteries by not lighting up.
- Protection against short circuits of the atomizer.
- If the chipset temperature exceeds 70 ° C, the mod goes to sleep.
- If the output voltage is too high, the mod switches to standby.
We therefore note that it is possible to make a box dedicated to power-vaping while maintaining a level of security quite comfortable. Tesla played well this time by offering a safe pack of excellent level.
Note: the box will start from 0.08Ω. It is with this type of editing that you will be able to reach, if you wish, the plateau power of 280W. If your resistances are higher (0.2, 0.3 ... up to 2Ω), the power will be restrained in order to always maintain maximum security. Out of the question to go tu tu 280W with a montage in 2Ω, huh? It should send 24 V for this and, unless you connect to the battery of the car ...
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
We will be able to save our eyes in this chapter. Just know that the packaging is correct compared to the rate requested. We have the box, a USB / Micro USB cord and a leaflet that speaks French in a carton all there is more cardboard. Note the reassuring presence of two adapters that will allow you to use 18650 batteries.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Nothing works, requires a shoulder bag
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Tesla has for some time been developing proprietary chipsets whose quality is unanimous. In other words, the Invader IV is no exception to the rule. Powerful and fast, the home-made chipset works wonders on atomizers equipped with heavy-duty fixtures. No diesel effect to blame here, the mod sends everything he has quickly to feed your most exotic coils. Around 0.15Ω, the box is in his favorite terrain and the rendering is fleshy, very linear and really powerful. The absence of latency is quite magical and the effect of immediacy is a big plus for the most geeks of vapers.
On quieter mounts, the box behaves very well and sends a very precise signal but we feel that it runs below its technical capabilities. The rendering is very good, undeniably, but not really more sharp than good "classic" electronic boxs. For example, the WYE 200 of the same constructor slightly exceeds the Invader IV for editing between 0.5 and 1Ω. On the Invader, the brutal signal therefore corresponds very well to very weak resistances but is too impetuous to drive serenely more standardized resistances. All the better, it's not really what we ask of him. The box assumes perfectly its identity as a steam locomotive and it is very well thus starting from the fact that it is necessary for all the tastes.
In use, no problem comes to stop a vape of quality. The autonomy with 21700 is quite satisfactory, without being surprising either. The mod does not heat at all and is reliable over time. In short, we have here a box made to send that was thought in the smallest details to accomplish his work safely and with a "potato" that is at the height of his words.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650, 21700
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2 + 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any atomiser, not BF, with a diameter of 25mm maximum
- Description of the test configuration used: Blitzken, Vapor Giant Mini V3, Zeus, Saturn
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: A good big double Coil !!!
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.8 / 5
The mood ticket of the reviewer
It was difficult, after a V3 that was unanimous, to propose a replacement to the height. Yet, Tesla did it and exceeds even the highest demands.
First, there was talk of improving what could be problematic on the previous version. Exit the switch a little hard, peeling paint, the restive potentiometer. All defects have been corrected with great care.
Then, we had to decide in the heart not to propose a versioning light but a real novelty. This is where the choices in terms of aesthetics and power supply make sense.
Finally, it was necessary to remain in the same tariff scale and propose a successful product. So it is totally successful since the price does not increase or little. As for the realization, being a box built and thought to generate high power, it is perfect and fully correlated with the product. This is a box for geeks addicted to performance and it will never be left behind!
So many qualities are worth a Top Mod but they also validate the fact acquired that a Chinese manufacturer can quite achieve the equipment of very high flight for a low price. This is good news, right?
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.