- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 189 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable voltage electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 100 watts
- Maximum voltage: 6
- Minimum value in ohms resistance for a start: 0.3 advised
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
From the heavy, the minimal, which comes to us as it should be from the USA, the box and the instructions had to stay on the boat or in the hold of the 747 who sent them to the old Europe, because I did not see trace in sending our sponsor.
Three of the four faces carry the logo of the brand, as soon as we forget ... And if you seek discretion, it is missed with this material. Not that it is huge, or inordinately heavy, but it will not go unnoticed, even in black.
Its shape is all that is classic: parallelepiped, with a central 510 connection and a switch how to tell you? Prominent, would be appropriate enough. Its price is quite noticeable too, especially since at this price, we say that the ricains have innovated or used rare materials to build it. Well, none of that, you know, it's a double "regulated box mod", point.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 26
- Product Length or Height in mms: 100
- Product weight in grams: 255 without ato
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative Style: Cultural Reference
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Can do better and I'll tell you why
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Mechanical plastic on contact rubber
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 1
- UI button type: No other button
- Quality of interface button (s): Not applicable interface button
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 3.6 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
Exit the case Hammond, we are here in the presence of an original case perfectly parallel sides and facades, v2.1 requires. Another difference with the v2, the cradle is equipped with a battery extraction tape.
A lid with magnets 4 ensures the closure of the box once equipped.
The hull is made of one piece aluminum (molded), bored at the potentiometer switch and the 510 connector. All parts (including electronics) is removable, except perhaps the cradle that seems stuck.
The finish is very correct aesthetically but a slight lack of adjustment is felt in the maintenance of the lid. A game, which can however be corrected by thickening with an adhesive the protruding linear parts (edges) which surround the inside of the lid. The gain in thickness thus obtained will reduce or even stop this game It is still a sad detail for a box at this price.
The measurements of the beast are: height 101mm, width without the switch 51,3mm, for 26mm thickness. The width with the switch is 58,3mm, for a weight equipped with 255g. A box of male what ... although one finds higher ones, this one should not expressly agree to these ladies, in spite of its different colors and its button of replaceable switch (of various colors also).
The power adjustment potentiometer (actually, voltage) turns to the nail, it is graduated from 0 to 100, by 11 traits, including 9 intermediates and an indication to 50. A stop prohibits to perform a complete turn.
Apart from this manufacturing defect, this object is very well built. The interior is well assembled, the welds are clean, the electronics are isolated from the rest of the elements by a plastic membrane. The satin paint (white for the test box) seems to be of a special (composite) solid composition and does not visibly mark fingerprints. The decoration is laser engraved.
- Type of chipset used: Owner (Okami - Murata)
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by the mod: Protection against reverse polarity of the batteries
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 26
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.8 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Security is minimal.
The Okami chipset (OKL2-T / 20-W12) from the Japanese manufacturer Murata announces, among the technical characteristics of the OKL series: "These converters also include under voltage lockout (UVLO), short circuit protection, overcurrent and over temperature protections". Which would mean that the box equipped with this chipset cuts when your batteries are discharged, when your ato is shorted, and when the internal temperature of the on-board electronics is too high.
I have no more details to tell you about the other protections, that the mosfets included in the circuit are supposed to provide, as the protection in case of reversal of polarity or switching flow and amperage no longer passing through switch to allow the box to cash 20 A maximum without melting the latter. More details for English-speaking specialists here: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/281/okl2-t20-w12-472031.pdf
The features of the box are basic: send 3,7 6V to your ato, through the potentiometer and your fingernail to adjust it. So we will not talk here about complex regulation but just a voltage converter in DC input / output, until your batteries can not provide the minimum voltage required, a regulation after all, basic.
Whatever the setting and the remaining charge of the batteries, the signal will be flat, a bit like a mecha, when the batteries are well charged. Once in the minimum position (below 0), the box does not react to the switch, I deduced that it is in the "off" position.
The powers announced by HexOhm go up to 110W (and beyond ...) but we also know that the Ricans tend to exaggerate the performance of everything that emanates from their productions. The chipset manufacturer's technical doc only provides for 100W output even though it might be powered by a source of 14V. So let's be wary of such an announcement, let's just 100W, it's already a good power, with our maximum 8,4V input.
The recommended minimum resistance is 0,3 ohm. Your batteries will have a capacity of minimum 20A and will have to be dedicated to the box, bought new and reloaded together. The connection has a floating positive pin.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: No
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? No
- Presence of a user manual? No
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? No
Vapelier's note on packaging: 0 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
No packaging, no instructions for use, no comment.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
This material is very reactive to use. No noticeable lag pulse (tests at 0,7 ohm) and the settings are accurate. The minimum value of the voltage is slightly higher than that announced, but overall, the converter sends the voltage theoretically requested, the indications of the corresponding power values are reliable.
However, you will need to know the resistance value of your ato if you plan to start beyond 50W, because the tool does not joke with the requested power. In addition, a knowledge of Ohm's law or a calculator will be useful to determine the power ranges corresponding to your resistance values. You can find them online, for example here, he is in French, thanks to Luc Big John for his initiative and share it via the site BreakingVap which I greet the admin in passing.
The box has beautiful, in theory, cut in case of excessive discharge of the batteries, you will certainly have the good idea to proceed with reloading before the announced 2,5V to preserve them and, in any case, your vape at high power will be very brief well before the limit.
The fishing is there, the autonomy also, the signal is smooth, the vape is comparable to that obtained in Meca. It is undeniable, this box is interesting. It gives the user all the latitude to adapt his vape to the juice and the ato used. It is also necessary that he has a good prior experience and therefore knowledge in the field of electricity.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? elui that you have will be fine from 0,3 ohm
- Description of the test configuration used: Monkey King 0,7 ohm 2X 18650 35A
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Open bar, prefer sub ohm fixtures, to enjoy the pussance.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
Here is a material that could, hands down, get a Top Box, for its robustness, accuracy, ease of use, design and vape it provides, but here ...
At Vapelier, we consider that a protective packaging and an explanatory note are important elements to testify to the overall quality of a product. The score obtained may seem unfair to some, but in a few weeks, it will probably be impossible for European importers to obtain, without risk, this type of product without the mandatory documentation that must accompany it, we will not even be able to evaluate it. .
Enjoy it as there is still time, it seems that HexOhm guarantee his boxes for life. In the absence of written certification, I do not tell you that. One last thing, the box is registered V2, not V2.1 but it is the V2.1 that offers our sponsor. Decidedly, the Ricans are angry with the writings since Hemingway! Moreover, if we believe the site of Craving Vapor, the only protection that actually benefits the V2.1 is the reverse polarity, in contradiction with the technical data of the Japanese manufacturer Murata for its chipset OKL2. I find it not very smart in terms of communication.
Rest the beast is well worth the price, especially considering its longevity. Few people complain so far, she even got the best mod award at the last Vapers Exhibit, a US event, you guessed it.
Good vap to you,
See you soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.