- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Lemondedelavape
- Price of the tested product: 129 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 40 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
The commercial positioning is clearly THE strong point of this product ... the idea is to position itself as a competitor of the VaporShark unless 30% the price of the latter.
The strategy is simple, HCIGAR takes one of the best chipset on the market, the Evolv DNA 40 and includes it in the HB DNA 40 for a lower price of 60 euros (without accumulators) to its American competitor.
Clearly HCIGAR offers all the same features as mods "super luxury" for ... cheaper ... and in fact it's true, the HB DNA 40 functionally offers everything from a vaporshark or a flaccid vapor for less ...
The question is whether this is enough, and if the promise is held in every respect!
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 50
- Product Length or Height in mms: 95
- Product weight in grams: 181
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Copper
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
All the product exudes quality.
The housing is aluminum, its coating is not sensitive to fingerprints, the 510 connector is spring-mounted for flush mounting guaranteed with all atomizers, the screw pitch is excellently well machined, and access to the compartment accumulator is provided by a magnetic plate. Bonus and supreme luxury, the magnets are positioned in such a way that it is impossible to reposition the plate in the wrong direction ... Let's admit that until then it is a faultless.
In fact almost ... because if we look more closely, and yes I'm very fussy, we notice a slight off-center connector 510, light but visible, look rather ... it's still obvious!
In the photo on the left we have the box with its plate ... the one on the right without the latter.
Why ? why has HCIGAR bugged like that in design ??? it's not a problem, but aesthetically all atomizers are necessarily slightly off!
Personally this is the kind of detail that makes me crazy ... but hey it's me.
Too bad it was almost perfect ...
Now enjoy the internal PCB mounting:
In this matter, you have to be really difficult to complain about.
Be careful though, do not try to access the pcb yourself, because to do so you will have to break the seal of the plate of the manufacturer protecting it, and thus lose your warranty ... But at Vapelier, we are ready for all the sacrifices for you! 😉
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of current vape power, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 23
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Functionally this box has everything that DNA 40 offers ... all the protections, the same responsiveness ... everything.
The buttons are of very good quality. No noise, and an optimal reactivated.
Things go wrong when you consider the screen:
- In the first place it is smoked ... why? Why ?
- In the second place, there is no "photo", compared to that of his competitor he is ... very small, and by definition less legible.
But it is when we analyze the positioning of the interface and use the buttons (+ / - and fire) that we approach for me the drama ... and it is here, just on this point, that HCIGAR risk to lose potential customers.
By the gods, what is this lateral positioning? Nobody took the model in hand before making it at HCIGAR?
We get to do it when we are right-handed (even if we want the perfect positioning of the interface buttons of the vaporshark), but if by misfortune you're left-handed, that's the drama ... HCIGAR requires you to do everything with the thumb, who falls as he can on the fire ... and not at all on the + and -.
Too bad, very bad, almost good. the positioning of the buttons must at all costs be reviewed for the next generation of this box.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Can do better
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 3.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
What do you want me to say to you? When VaporShark sells its mod 30% more expensive without even inserting a user manual, and flanking everything from a plastic box worthy of a small car like cheerleader ... we can only appreciate having a manual, and 'a power cable ... also placed in a cheerleader's box.
It's better, but not yet!
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Difficult because requires several manipulations
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Easy to charge through its micro USB charger accompanied by a LED type indicator (it is far from the indicator embedded in the fire button VaporShark), except for the problem of positioning of its interface buttons previously described, this mod will be a faithful companion.
Once again, its chipset has nothing to envy to the more expensive mods.
The vape is smooth, dense, pleasant, and DNA 40 will undoubtedly allow you to rediscover some of your favorite atos.
Here it is a faultless that we must not to HCIGAR, but to Evolv the designer of the chipset.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All, as long as they do not exceed 23 mms (for aesthetic reasons)
- Description of the test configuration used: DNA 40 + Origen / Kayfun / Iclear 30S
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Difficult for this mod to answer this question as the possibilities are great. Let's say I particularly enjoyed it with the ORIGEN. But again, test, test everything you have on hand, because this mod accepts all the atos ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
This mod passes all the Vapelier evaluation protocols.
Its intrinsic quality is not in doubt, it is an excellent mod, "almost", yes, "almost" perfect.
Has Hcigar managed to win its bet of cutting dark cuts in VaporShark's market shares?
- Yes in terms of functionality, and quality of vape.
- Yes in terms of reliability of use.
- Not in terms of ergonomics!
Do I recommend this mod? Yes if and only if you are not left-handed (as is the case for 6% of the world's population), and want to save "almost" a third of the purchase price of the VaporShark to have a nice box with the same features.
Looking forward to reading you.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.