- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: lemondedelavape
- Price of the tested product: 129.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Luxury (over 120 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 40 watts
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
HCigar is definitely the brand that rises at the beginning of the year 2015! After having invested all sectors of the vape market with some success (or even a certain success), the manufacturer now attacks high-end electronic mods. It is a long time ago when HCigar was making a name for itself on its clones and today, the Chinese seems determined to fight on all segments with original products.
It is by motorizing its new box-mod with a real Evolv DNA40 that the brand rushes into the open breach not a formidable and carnivorous competitor: Vaporshark ....
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 50
- Product Length or Height in mms: 95
- Product weight in grams: 181
- Material composing the product: Aluminum, Copper
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Excellent
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The HB DNA 40 is constructed from a thick aluminum with good, slightly satin finish. The case seems made to last and we can only be stunned by the ease of opening and closing the battery access cover with two very powerful magnets that guide the closure almost alone.
The position of the screen is ideal and allows to have all the time under the eyes important information.
The switch was intentionally placed on the width, above the screen. It's a little disturbing at first because the ergonomics are not usual. But it adapts quickly enough by actuating it with the thumb if you are right-handed or the index if you're left-handed. It still remains that with the use of some atomizers requiring a specific position for optimal operation, like some genesis, this could be a handicap.
But do not sulk our pleasure to have in our hands one of the very first original Chinese mod High-End !!! Especially since the quality of finish is well at the rendezvous. No wonder with a brand that starts to count in the Vaposhère and that has accustomed us to a certain quality excellence.
- Type of chipset used: DNA
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Mechanical
- Quality of the locking system: Excellent, the chosen approach is very practical
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of current vape power, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 1
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? Yes
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested power and the actual power
- Accuracy the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Excellent, there is no difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
We already know the Evolv DNA40 chipset and it behaves here with the same rigor as usual. The vape is perfectly smooth, the calculation algorithms are very precise and the mod sends perfectly what is asked of it without any anomaly.
We note the presence of protection in case of deep discharge, which seems logical for a mod that sends all the same 16A regular output and 23A peak.
Of course, it will be necessary to add a high quality battery that supports a high discharge rate, such as LG, Samsung, VTC or Purple, in order to support it at best in its rough task.
Because, just like the model of reference of Vaporshark, this mod knows how to do everything ... It also knows how to manage the temperature of the coil as long as one uses NI200 to realize its coils. He knows how to go down in subohm without trembling, make power-vaping with the adapted atomizer without fear and without reproach and he knows how to send all his potential on high resistances, which is rare these days ...
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? We make fun of us!
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 2.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Arrrrgggghhh ... .. It's the scream of the chronicler who is counted with the greatest of despair that the packaging is far from being up to the event !!!! Is it for the sake of economy to tighten the tariff? Is it a desire to be in the same ascetic line as his reference?
In any case, HCigar, who had accustomed us to serious and ambitious packaging, splits here a plastic box that even Innokin would refuse to use. In these conditions, the presence of an explanatory note in English becomes downright reassuring ...
Even if the mod is excellent value for money, the price is still relatively high and deserved a jewel at the height of the jewel!
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an inside jacket pocket (no deformations)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Easy to change the batteries: Super simple, even blind in the dark!
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Like the Vaporshark, which is difficult not to compare, the mod is confusingly stable throughout the day. Easy to use, disassemble, reload, it ensures a perfect vape and the word is chosen on purpose. The rendering is unstoppable: sweet, voluptuous, consistent and surgical precision, the best chipset in the world (it's a subjective opinion that I can support ...) makes the vape just better. The flavors are sublimated and we take pleasure in rediscovering juices that we thought we knew by heart.
Even if I hate to use this word, I will use it anyway today: a slaughter!
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 1
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A conventional fiber - resistance equal to or greater than 1.7 Ohms, A low resistance fiber inf or equal to 1.5 ohms, In sub-ohm assembly, Genesys type rebuildable metal mesh assembly, Genesys type rebuilding metal wick assembly
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? All ... .. without any exception! Just avoid the atomizers of more than 23mm but just for aesthetic considerations.
- Description of the test configuration used: DNA 40 + Taifun Gt, Origen, Mephisto, Iclear 30S
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: To my personal taste, I found it exceptional with the Taifun GT for a set-up typed "flavors". But this is only a proposal among thousands of possibilities ...
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.9 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I will try to temper my enthusiasm and remain objective. We have here a mod to 129.90 €. To which must be added a good battery to 10 €. For a total of 139.90. To compare with the 189 € of the sale price of the Vaporshark rDNA 40 V2, we earn about 25%, which is not nothing, you will agree.
Of course, the price difference is still explained by an even more successful construction at Vaporshark but this fact does not devalue the work done by HCigar on this very good HB DNA 40. The great strength of this mod is to put in the reach of more vapers a quality of vape that was only around 200 € until now and it is already a performance not to be neglected! No chipset copy here, no approximation, just the use of the best engine in a quality body.
As we have seen, this mod is an off-road tool: well built, light, small, it can still send all its power with ultimate precision and this, whatever the resistance that we chose and the atomizer that we use with. It provides a rendering incommensurate with mods that exist today in this price range, a surgical rendering, typed flavor that will happily accompany any type of atomizer and liquid.
The only "negative" I could find is the unusual position of the switch even if the quality of it compensates. Its flexibility allows it to be actuated by the edge of the thumb or forefinger. The "plus" and "minus" buttons would have probably been a little less flexible, but they are only trivial points of detail as the truth seems elsewhere, in the perfection of a full and voluptuous vape.
The competition looks fierce and fierce in the months to come because the Chinese arrive in all market segments, without any complex and, from now on, it will also rely on them for the high end.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.