- Sponsor having loaned the product for the magazine: Vapoclope
- Price of the tested product: 79.90 Euros
- Product category according to its selling price: Mid-range (from 41 to 80 euros)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 220W
- Maximum voltage: 8V
- Minimum value in ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
At Smok, we do not do in the half measure, 220W is heavy. It will soon be necessary that the battery manufacturers wake up, because the train where it goes, to feed coils to 0,07Ω and send them 220W, we will have to ensure the intensity. This race for power seems a little overrated anyway because, if it has its followers, it is not the vape of the average quidam (which I am modestly part).
More powerful but less cumbersome than its older sister, the XCube II, to which it makes 9mm less height for 5 in width and that it leaves on the spot to the weighing, of nearly 40 grams. The H-Priv gains in ergonomics and becomes more suited to ladies. Space saving probably due in part to the lack of a charging module, forcing users to have a minimum cradle battery charger.
It is still a geek tool, with many features including the constant statistics devoted to maniacs of time and number of puffs / second / days / months / years (we will stop there, but please, proceed to your way). Always a possible firmware update on the manufacturer's website: http://www.smoktech.com/ (after having authenticated your acquisition) and the "firing bar" which is the originality of the boxes of this brand.
Its price is not outrageously prohibitive, considering the respectable quality of manufacture and reliability of embedded electronics, it is better to rely on the hardware, more than its instructions, we will come back.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mms: 25
- Product Length or Height in mms: 91
- Product weight in grams: 290 (190g box only)
- Material composing the product: Zinc (alloy), Gold, plastic, stainless steel, brass
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap (firing bar)
- Fire button type: Mechanical spring (blade)
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of User Interface Buttons: Metal Mechanics on Contact Rubber
- Quality of the interface button (s): Very good, the button is responsive and does not make any noise
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.1 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
The object exudes quality if I can say. Its weight testifies as well as the various moving parts that are very well secured. The shell is zinc alloy covered with a matte black paint (for the test box). The top-cap is the most fitted part of the box, there you will find the adjustment knobs, the screen and the 510 connector with a floating brass pin. You have the possibility to equip your box with an atomizer requiring an air intake underneath but not directly via the negative screw pitch. Two screws ensure a fixation of the top-cap to the body of the box, so we can think that a repair is possible, even the change of chipset and screen.
The bottom-cap is largely occupied by the closing cap of the batteries which also ensures the circulation of the electric current between these and your ato, while passing by the electronics. The positive and negative poles are gold plated 24 carats, thus preventing them from oxidizing. Benchmarks showing the nature and direction of installation of the batteries are visible in pairs on this cover. It also has degassing vents allowing ventilation or at least a dissipation of any heat, released by batteries severely solicited. Its holding in the closed position is provided by two magnets of good power. A micro USB port is present, its function is only dedicated to the firmware update.
The photos show the entrance of the double cradle, as well as the batteries positioned before closing.
An entire side is dedicated to the function of firing (switch), it is the famous firing bar.
We went around the various parts of the H-Priv, its grip is nice (width: 55mm), the least we can say is that we can not miss the pulse.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from the atomizer, Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff , Display of the vape time since a certain date, Fixed protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Variable protection against overheating of the atomizer resistors, Temperature control of the atomizer resistors, Supports the update its firmware, Adjusting the display brightness, Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No recharge function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? Year / month / day / hour
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mms of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
Among the functional and other features of the box, note that its output voltage is between 0.35V and 8V, for a power range of 6W to 220W. The TC (Temperature Control) mode operates between 100 ° C and 315 ° C. The accepted resistance value ranges are in VW (Variable Wattage) mode: from 0.1Ω to 3Ω and in TC mode: from 0.06Ω to 3.0Ω.
The security present, whose alerts are detailed in the small explanatory table with their graphic correspondence, do not mention any protection in case of reverse polarity (cut), I have not tried not to risk damage a material that does not belong to me, so I prefer to warn you, enjoining you to ensure the correct positioning of the batteries, before closing the hood.
The other table below shows a series of menus available to H-Priv, to which you can add the setting of the duration of appearance of the screen and its messages before the standby (SCR Time). This 3 menu mainly concerns the display parameters.
The 1 menu, accessed by switching 3 times, alternately switches the pulse power setting for the first two seconds (SOFT, NORM (default), HARD, MIN and MAX when you are at 220W set.
You will be able in this menu to choose between WATT MODE, TEMP MODE and MEMORY, which will allow you to store (16 total) presets according to your different atomizers, juices, cravings, needs etc ...
The VW mode increments the power from either 10W to 10W or W by W, or 10eme from W, depending on how long the adjustment buttons are pressed.
The TC mode concerns resistive: SS (stainless steel) Ni (nickel) and Ti (titanium). You will enter the program on the coil number of the ato: SC (single coil) or DC (double coil).
The 2 menu offers access to statistics of puffs (puffs) and the possibility to limit (or not) the number, with any time to spare or reset your counters.
Another feature of this box is the ability to fine tune the resistance value sensor (ADJ OHM) and lock it, plus or minus 0,05 ohm. This provision concerns people who mount atos close to the short circuit which need a finesse of calculation in order to obtain the best possible answers, in terms of accuracy of settings.
The manual, although in English, tells you all the operations to be performed to enter each menu. I noticed two errors, concerning the ranges of resistance values where one speaks about "lower than 10 ohms"! ignore it, and the load alert mod, whose load value would be 60%. The box is not equipped with a load module, you can consider this alert as a remainder of the record of the X Cube, carelessly left by Smok in it.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? No
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
The box is hardback. On the first floor, you find the box confined in a protective foam.
Below a USB / micro-USB cable, a manual, moisture-proof bags and an authenticity card, as well as a reminder of the proper use of the batteries. That's all and it's enough.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for a Jean back pocket (no discomfort)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product.
In test over two days, with two different atos, I did not go beyond 75W, having not mounted ato 0,07Ω to test 220W, which seem far too compatible with the vape flavor that I love. I do not doubt the displayed possibilities of the box even if I have some reservations about the reality of promised 220W. The autonomy up to 75W is correct, it allows you to hold a small day with healthy batteries, ensuring a CDM without heating for a minimum amperage recommended 30A. The pulse boost presets at two seconds are sensitive and functional.
The H-Priv reacts quickly and its power or TC settings are reliable. The vape is linear and without lag. The OLED screen is clearly visible, the settings are fast responses, this box is one of the good tools for geeky or daily unpretentious use.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Any type of ato up to 25mm in diameter, sub-ohm or higher mountings up to 3Ω
- Description of the test configuration used: mini Goblin V2, 0,33Ω, 45,5W, Royal Hunter mini 0,25Ω to 65W
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Open bar, prefer sub-ohm fixtures.
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.5 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
With a record in French without any scripting error, the H-Priv would have reached the Top Mod without any problem. It is available in three colors, and I estimate its price justified. It is a tool for geeks of course but a beginner anxious to evolve with the same material will find his account.
If among you, amateurs have tried this box at 220W, they do not hesitate to describe us their impressions, here or even during a flash test.
I wish you an excellent vape and tell you very soon.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.