- Sponsor who lent the product for the review: Le Petit Vapoteur
- Price of the tested product: 89.90 €
- Product category according to its selling price: High end (from 81 to 120 €)
- Mod type: Variable power electronics and temperature control
- Is the mod telescopic? No
- Maximum power: 230W
- Maximum voltage: 9
- Minimum value in Ohms resistance for a start: Less than 0.1
Reviewer comments on business characteristics
It had been some time since my route had crossed Smok's path. I admit that I had ignored the G-Priv, it seemed too massive, as often with the box "trigger" of the Chinese firm.
To believe that Smok heard my thoughts because the G-Priv returns in a second version, more compact and more powerful.
So here we are to discover this 18650 double electronic box, equipped with a touch screen of 2 inches.
The "small" last from smok is positioned in the high-end market with its 89 €. This is a price that is being undermined today by the high-end entry-level box that is constantly growing.
So, let's see if Smok manages to justify this tariff by setting itself apart from the "low cost" competitors.
Physical characteristics and felt quality
- Width or Diameter of the product in mm: 52
- Product Length or Height in mm: 85
- Product weight in grams: 225
- Material composing the product: Aluminum
- Form Factor Type: Classic Box - VaporShark Type
- Decorative style: Classic
- Quality of decoration: Good
- Is the coating of the mod sensitive to fingerprints? No
- All components of this mod seem well assembled? Yes
- Fire button position: Lateral near the top cap
- Fire button type: Metal mechanics on contact caouctoucouc
- Number of buttons in the interface, including touch areas if they are present: 2
- Type of UI Buttons: Touch
- Quality of the interface button (s): Excellent I love this button in every way
- Number of parts in the product: 2
- Number of threads: 1
- Quality of the threads: Very good
- Overall, do you appreciate the quality of manufacture of this product with regard to its price? Yes
Rating of the vapelier as to feelings quality: 4.4 / 5
Reviewer's comments on physical characteristics and perceived quality
To begin with, some figures that we communicate Smok. G-Priv 2 is smaller (-14%) and less heavy (-10%). It displays a height similar to the first model is 85 mm. It is on the width that the gain is the most important - 6,5 mm. On the thickness, we make a very small -0.07mm. As for weight, she loses almost 20 g.
On the aesthetic, we take the spirit of the first model: taut and futuristic lines in the manner of 90 years. It has a sort of octagonal pavement, one of which slices differs since it hosts a beautiful trigger and various small aesthetic touches that enrich the basic shape.
The dark glass front is marked with the Smok logo and hides the 2 inch screen. The other side is covered with a carbon type coating, it bears the inscriptions G-Priv2 and 230WTC.
This second facade is removable since it covers the battery compartment. Four magnets hold it securely in place. Inside, no surprise, a very clean double-battery cradle.
On the top, there is a pine 510 that proposes to accommodate your atomizers up to 24,5 mm diameter without risk of overflow. In addition, the fact that it is spring ensures you the flush attitude.
Under the box, there is the micro USB port and degassing holes.
The set is very correct, the adjustments are impeccable, there are here and there some minor defects of finish but you really have to have the nose stuck on to see them. No need to tell you that it is available in several colors.
The box is of a size suitable for a double 18650. We are not on an ultra-compact box but I think that Smok has made a great effort and, my belief, this is probably their most successful achievement on this point of the range.
- Type of chipset used: Owner
- Connection type: 510, Ego - via an adapter
- Adjustable positive plot? Yes, through a spring.
- Lock system ? Electronic
- Quality of the locking system: Good, the function does what it is for
- Features offered by mod: Battery charge display, Resistance value display, Short circuit protection from atomizer, Reverse battery polarity protection, Display of current vape voltage , Display of the power of the current vape, Display of the vape time of each puff, Variable protection against overheating of the resistors of the atomizer, Temperature control of the resistors of the atomizer, Supports the update of its firmware , Clear diagnostic messages
- Accusability: 18650
- Does the mod support stacking? No
- Number of batteries supported: 2
- Does the mod retain its configuration without batteries? Yes
- Does the mod offer a recharge feature? Charging function possible via Micro-USB
- Is the recharge function pass-through? No
- Does the mode offer a Power Bank function? No power bank function offered by the mod
- Does the mode offer other functions? No other function offered by the mod
- Presence of a regulation of the flow of air? Yes
- Maximum diameter in mm of compatibility with an atomizer: 25
- Accuracy of the output power at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the power demanded and the real power
- Accuracy of the output voltage at full charge of the battery: Good, there is a tiny difference between the requested voltage and the actual voltage
Vapelier's note regarding functional characteristics: 4.3 / 5
Reviewer's comments on functional features
The G-Priv 2 embeds the main systems usually present on an electronic box.
To begin with security, we find the necessary protections: battery polarity reversal, overheating protection, short circuit protection, battery discharge limit.
We find a variable power mode, a TC and TCR mode. The power scale is from 1 to 230W.
For the variable power mode, the resistors must have a value between 0.1 and 2.5Ω. For TC modes, we can use NI200, SS316, Titanium, the temperature may vary from 100 ° to 315 ° C. In this mode, the resistance value must be between 0.05 and 2Ω.
The box also has a counter and limiter puff system useful for those who wish to have some control of their consumption.
The touch screen has a nice interface, the information is presented clearly. We find the power or temperature in the center, the number is surrounded by a dashed circle that allows you to see the countdown of 10 seconds maximum duration of your puff. We also find in this circle the level of pre-heat (soft, normal, hard, max) and the time of the puff. The whole is contained in a large continuous circle which has three small triangles distributed on its circumference.
Above this central theme is the path to the menu and the level of the two batteries. At the bottom is the puff counter, intensity, voltage and resistance value.
The trigger can turn on the box, fire or lock the box. The small button that overhangs it is used to put the screen in standby and lock the touch screen.
Finally, the USB port allows either to reload the box, or to update the firmware.
A complete product, Smok has not succumbed to the madness of useless functions like the mp3 player, the photo album ... and that's good because above all this box is made to vaper.
Evaluation of the packaging
- Presence of a box accompanying the product: Yes
- Would you say that the packaging is up to the price of the product? Yes
- Presence of a user manual? Yes
- Is the manual understandable for a non-English speaker? Yes
- Does the manual explain ALL features? Yes
Vapelier's note on packaging: 5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on conditioning
Smok's packagings follow each other and look alike. A sheath with a picture of the box and the content of the pack surrounds a matte black box marked SMOK logo.
Inside, we find our box well set in a dense foam with, below, the traditional micro USB / USB cable, a record translated into several languages including French and a silicone skin protection.
It is complete, it does not breathe originality but it is very correct.
Appreciations in use
- Easy transportation with the test atomizer: Ok for an external jacket pocket (no deformation)
- Disassembly and cleaning facilities: Easy, even standing on the street, with a simple Kleenex
- Easy to change the batteries: Easy, even standing in the street
- Did the mod heat up? No
- Has there been erratic behavior after one day of use? No
- Description of situations in which the product has experienced erratic behavior
Vapelier's note in terms of usability: 4.5 / 5
Reviewer's comments on the use of the product
Let's be clear, our G-Priv has gained in compactness but it is not a "small" model. It is nevertheless easily transportable. His "trigger", perfectly adjusted offers a very good ergonomics.
One of its strengths is its great ease of use. The interface and menus are very intuitive and it will only take a few minutes to master all aspects.
The main menu consists of four sub-menus. A "screen" menu that is used to change the dominant color of the aesthetic elements of the display and the time of automatic standby of the screen. A menu "Puffs" that allows to set the limit in number of puffs (zero to neutralize the function) and cause the reset of the counter. And finally two menus for setting the vape modes, one for the variable power mode and one for the Tc mode.
I find the screen lock and standby button very convenient, a brief press will switch the screen to stealth mode and a long press will lock or unlock the touch screen.
As for the vape, the chipset is doing the job. Personally, I like the preset preheat system "soft / normal / hard / max", it is explicit and effective, no need to look for noon to two o'clock.
The autonomy is very correct, the management of the batteries is rather good, now I think that if you steam on resistance values very low to more than 100W, there will be no miracle either.
I will add in this paragraph a little word on the skin that accompanies the box. This is of course a good idea, effective to prevent the G-Priv losing its beautiful too fast, but you will not really benefit more from the rather advantageous design of the latter.
Recommendations for use
- Type of batteries used during the tests: 18650
- Number of batteries used during testing: 2
- With which type of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? Dripper, A Classical Fiber, In Sub-ohm Mount, Genesis Rebuildable
- With which model of atomizer is it advisable to use this product? your favorite atomizer
- Description of the test configuration used: associated with a Govad RTA resistance to 0.4Ω
- Description of the ideal configuration with this product: Your favorite atomizer, the box can all afford
was the product liked by the reviewer: Yes
Overall average of the Vapelier for this product: 4.6 / 5
Link to a video review or blog maintained by the reviewer author of the review
The mood ticket of the reviewer
I am quite satisfied with this reunion with Smok. I always found that Smok made interesting products, but often there was a quack or the price was too high.
The first G-Priv of the name did not give me the desire to leave my reserve. But I admit that the design did not displease me. So, when I saw this second version more compact, I said to myself: this is the moment, it looks quite that one.
Indeed, this phase 2 takes the design of the first, except that with 6.5 mm less width, it becomes more attractive. In addition, with its trigger "hair", it offers a very good ergonomics.
Its touch screen 2 thumb, coupled with a very intuitive interface, make it simple to use and especially accessible even to someone who is about to acquire his first electronic box. She can do anything: vaper cushy at 15 / 20W, but she can also climb hard in the towers.
So, I'm not going to tell you that this is the box of the year, especially that the price could be a little more competitive. But, for me, if you like the design and if you are looking for a good box to evolve your vape, it is a very good choice. It works perfectly well, the chipset does the job well. The grip is ultra fast and she can follow your desires a good time.
With the G-Priv 2, it is not a top of the heart, but a Top of reason that comes to greet a convincing product.
(c) Copyright Vapelier SAS 2014 - Only the complete reproduction of this article is authorized - Any modification of any nature whatsoever is totally prohibited and violates the rights of this copyright.